Should Cryptography Have Its Own Subforum in Mathematics?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
In summary: Cryptography are closely related fields, so I think it would make sense to have a cryptography subforum in the mathematics section. However, according to the forum's policy, subforums are only added when there is enough traffic and sustained interest in the topic, rather than just its significance or size. It would be helpful to browse the feedback forum and see other threads about adding a new subforum, as this question is frequently asked. Additionally, the largest sub-topic in physics, condensed matter physics, does not have its own forum but shares it with other sub-topics. Ultimately, the decision to add a subforum should be based on the three criteria of frequency of the topic being posted, sustained interest, and regular member participation. As for which
Bipolarity
I think there should be a cryptography subforum in the mathematics section, possibly sharing the forum with Number Theory.

There are a few questions I have, but I am unsure which forums the cryptologists usually browse in.

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, we don't add subforums waiting for the traffic, we add subforums when the traffic is here to better organize it.

Browse the feedback forum and see other threads about adding a new subforum, this question is asked quite often. I believe we have even a FAQ entry somewhere, but I can't remember where it is
grumpy_borek.png

Bipolarity said:
I think there should be a cryptography subforum in the mathematics section, possibly sharing the forum with Number Theory.

There are a few questions I have, but I am unsure which forums the cryptologists usually browse in.

BiP

Please read this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=626233

We frequently get such question on why such-and-such does not have a forum to itself.

Let's me give you this fact for you to consider. Condensed matter physics is the LARGEST sub-division in physics, and in fact, can easily be argued as the largest subtopic in physics. Still, do you see a forum solely dedicated to this subject area? Go take a look around. It shares the subforum with Atomic/molecular physics, and computational physics! Imagine that! Even a subject area that is the LARGEST in the field of physics does not have a forum all to itself!

So already, the argument of importance, of significance, and of size has no bearing on a subject matter getting its own forum. What is more important are (i) frequency of the topic being posted (ii) the level of SUSTAINED interest in that topic (iii) the number of regular members participating in that topic. It is of no point to create a forum for a topic just because ... There has to be an online demand for it in this forum that can justify such a creation.

So forget what you think about the subject matter in general. Do you think your topic qualifies in all the 3 criteria to justify the creation of its own forum? Do you think the posting frequency matches that of, say, the posting frequency in the Relativity forum?

Zz.

Bipolarity said:

BiP

Pick one, mods will move it if needed :)

Bipolarity said:

BiP

Number Theory

1. What is cryptography?

Cryptography is the practice and study of techniques for secure communication in the presence of third parties. It involves encoding and decoding information to keep it protected and only accessible to authorized parties.

2. How is cryptography used in modern technology?

Cryptography is used in modern technology to secure sensitive information such as personal data, financial transactions, and communication between devices. It also plays a crucial role in ensuring the security of online transactions and protecting against cyber attacks.

3. What are the different types of cryptography?

There are two main types of cryptography: symmetric and asymmetric. Symmetric cryptography involves using the same key to both encrypt and decrypt data, while asymmetric cryptography uses a public and private key pair for encryption and decryption.

4. What are some common encryption algorithms?

Some common encryption algorithms include AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), RSA (Rivest–Shamir–Adleman), and DES (Data Encryption Standard). These algorithms use complex mathematical operations to scramble data and make it unreadable without the proper decryption key.

5. How can I ensure the security of my encrypted data?

To ensure the security of your encrypted data, it is important to use strong encryption algorithms and keys, regularly update your encryption software, and keep your keys and passwords safe and confidential. It is also important to follow best practices for data storage and transmission, such as using secure networks and avoiding public Wi-Fi when accessing sensitive information.