Is Tailoring Multiple Resumes for Different Job Roles Effective?

• Thread starter taolaomialao
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of regularly updating one's resume and tailoring it to the specific job being applied for. It is recommended to keep a file with all employment and education details for reference. The length of a resume should be one page and should only include the most relevant and important information. It is also suggested to highlight transferable skills, such as managerial and people skills, gained from previous job experiences.
taolaomialao
I'd like to apply for a job as an office clerk so I write resume A to specify what I experienced while working as one or seeing some clerk work in my previous offices. Now I'd like to change my job because I like to be an office manager, but before I only worked as a clerk and I don't know how an office manager works, and I am thinking how to write up a resume B. Do you think my chances to get hired are any high ?
And do you think if later I would like to be working as a senior HR manager I should write a resume C and include my experience work details from resume A and B too ? Otherwise I have nothing to write in the new resumes. And I am worried I will lie to people when I have to invent stuff to fill in my resume. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid I don't fully understand your post...

Your resume should be updated regularly as you progress in your job or career. I keep a file with all my employment and education dates, duties, managers, locations, etc and then I make resumes off of that information.

I also have 3 resume templates that I use at the moment. Each one is for a particular style of job I am applying for. You should tailor your resume for for the particular job, but then also save it in a file. That way you can go off of it when you apply to a similar job, or see what you want to change from your previous application.

Does that answer your questions?

Last edited:
Yes, that seems so. I only have one single resume and I send it all over the places whenever to apply for any jobs.
By the way, should I put up all information in there ? When times goes by, I forget what I have learned or experienced and suddenly am asked to explain a technical phrase or word I have in my resume during the interview, I don't know how to answer, will they say that I am boastful or lied ?
How long in pages do you think a resume should be?

Last edited:
taolaomialao said:
Yes, that seems so. I only have one single resume and I send it all over the places whenever to apply for any jobs.

I would start catering your resume for the job. If you are applying for similar jobs then you don't have to change much. Look for key words that the job posting uses and use them in your resume.

By the way, should I put up all information in there ?

No. You should put the most relevant and important information on your resume. Job postings can get dozens, maybe hundreds, of resumes. They will not take the time to study yours in depth. It needs to convey the best you have to offer in a short amount of time. (A complete listing of all your jobs and accomplishments is generally known as a "curriculum vitae" or C.V. for short. These are usually used for academic or high level professional positions)

When times goes by, I forget what I have learned or experienced and suddenly am asked to explain a technical phrase or word I have in my resume during the interview, I don't know how to answer, will they say that I am boastful or lied ?

Thats why you should keep this information written down! Make notes of what you learned and your experiences in the past. Its easy to forget things that are years old, but its also easy to type them up and save them in file. Keep a document that has all this information and then refer to it when applying and before interviewing.

How long in pages do you think a resume should be?

One page. As I mention above, they are not going to spend a lot of time on it so don't make them feel burdened to have to read multiple pages. I have small margins and limited white space to get my jobs and education on one page, but I do. I leave out stuff that is less relevant. (Dont go overboard with the small margins and limited white space though. It still needs to be easy to read. A single paged crammed with small text is not easy to read.)

Note that I live in and apply in the US. Maybe other countries have different expectations, but I think this advise is fairly universal.

Thank you a lot, that is very useful.

Clerking may have honed your managerial skills. Take a moment to step back and review your on-the-job time when you were clerking. Did you deal with the public while working as a clerk? So you can add to your resume, if you are applying for a higher job, "have people's skills due to dealing with public" and so on.
Which functional area were you working in, during clerking? You can say in your resume, "have knowledge of [function area eg. marketing].
This way, you can climb the corporate ladder and get better jobs.

1. Can creating multiple resumes increase my chances of getting hired?

Yes, having multiple resumes tailored to different job positions and industries can increase your chances of getting hired. This allows you to highlight specific skills and experiences that are relevant to each job application.

2. Is it worth the effort to create multiple resumes?

It can be worth the effort to create multiple resumes if you are applying for different types of positions or if you have a wide range of skills and experiences. It shows that you are adaptable and can cater to the specific requirements of each job.

3. What are the benefits of creating multiple resumes?

The benefits of creating multiple resumes include being able to target specific job positions, showcasing your relevant skills and experiences, and standing out among other applicants. It also allows you to tailor your resume to the specific company and their values.

4. How many resumes should I create?

It is recommended to have at least 2-3 different resumes for different types of job positions. However, the number of resumes you create ultimately depends on your individual experiences and the number of job opportunities you are applying for.

5. Can I use the same resume for multiple job applications?

It is not recommended to use the same resume for multiple job applications. Each job position and company has different requirements and preferences, so it is important to tailor your resume accordingly. Using the same resume may also give the impression that you are not fully invested in the specific job application.