Should i delay my graduation to study more?

In summary, the speaker is a Brazilian student studying engineering at a free public university. They live with their family and do not spend much money, so they are not in a rush to find a job. The university allows for some flexibility in choosing classes, so the speaker is considering delaying their graduation by a year to take additional math and physics courses and gain practical experience through a scientific initiation program. They are unsure if this is a good idea and if employers will value their extra year of studying. They want to become an engineer because of the practical skills it provides.
Olipp
First of all, sorry for any problem with my english, it's not my native language and I'm still learning. I hope to not make too many mistakes. I'm Brazillian, by the way.

Here in my country, public universities are free. I live with my family and my home is close to the university. I don't spend that much money, i don't buy stuff or go to parties (i don't like it) or whatever; i can live with little, so I'm not in a rush to get money.

In my university we have some freedom to choose classes. It's not exactly the major/minor system, but it's something like that. For example, one can graduate in Engineering and take some extra classes in Philosophy for fun, or take 3 or 2 (or 8) classes per semester instead of 5 or 6.
I'm studying engineering and we usually take 5 years to graduate. I want to delay my graduation by a year to take more math, physics (mainly eletromagnetism and quantum physics) and do some projects by myself or work half time in a lab (here we have a schorlaship called Scientific Initiation, it's like a summer job but during the semester; we help the professors in their research), part because i want to have this knowledge, part because i think it will be useful, seen i want to work developing new technologies (so i probably need to get a PhD).

The problem is: i don't know if this is a good idea. Should i just focus on the engineering classes, and use this time to get a PhD (actually, here we do need to do a MSc before PhD)?
I, personally, don't see a big problem in delaying my graduation to study a little more, but i don't know if employers care about this or something like that...

Maybe someone will ask "why don't do physics?". I want the "know how" of the engineers.

Thanks, and again, sorry for anything.

-edit-

I'm thinking i posted in the wrong place...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, stay a little longer and learn MORE. Make good choices to learn things which either you would enjoy, or which make you more marketable (for finding employment).

1. Should I delay my graduation to study more?

It ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. If delaying your graduation will significantly benefit your academic or career pursuits, then it may be worth considering. However, if it will only add unnecessary stress and delay your entry into the workforce, then it may be better to graduate on time and continue learning through other means.

2. Will delaying my graduation negatively impact my career prospects?

It depends on the field you are pursuing and the job market at the time of your graduation. Some industries may value additional education and experience, while others may prioritize practical skills and work experience. It is important to research the job market and industry trends to determine how delaying your graduation may impact your career prospects.

3. How will delaying my graduation affect my finances?

Delaying your graduation may have financial implications, such as paying additional tuition fees and delaying your entry into the workforce. It is important to weigh the potential costs against the potential benefits of delaying your graduation to study more.

4. Can I continue learning while pursuing my career?

Absolutely. You can always continue learning and improving your skills while working. There are many online courses, workshops, and professional development opportunities available to enhance your knowledge and expertise while pursuing your career.

5. What are the potential benefits of delaying my graduation to study more?

Delaying your graduation to study more may give you additional time to gain a deeper understanding of your field, acquire new skills, and make valuable connections. It may also make you a more competitive job candidate and potentially lead to better job opportunities in the future.