Should I install my OS on a low-capacity SSD?

In summary, when putting together a new high-performance gaming rig, it is recommended to use a fast SATA III low-capacity solid state drive for installing Windows 8. This will result in significantly faster boot times compared to a traditional HDD. A 120GB SSD is sufficient for Windows and a few games, with a separate HDD used for data storage. The Crucial M4 or Samsung 840 are good options, while it is advised to avoid OCZ drives due to their high failure rates. A 128GB or 256GB drive is recommended.
Kutt
I'm putting together a new high-performance gaming rig and wanted to ask someone here if they could recommend a fast SATA III low-capacity solid state drive to install Windows 8 on.

Boot times should be dramatically faster compared to an HDD.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You could probably do with a 120GB SSD. Big enough for windows and a couple games to be installed and run from the drive. I would get a 2nd normal drive used for data storage. But yes, an SSD would noticbly improve your system's performance

i'd go for one of these 3
OCZ Vertex 3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-227-706&IsVirtualParent=1

Crucial M4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-442&IsVirtualParent=1

OCZ Agility 3 (We have a few of these at work)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-227-726&IsVirtualParent=1

I wouldn't recommend OCZ drives. They have the highest failure rates of all manufacturers.

The Crucial M4 is a good one, either that or a Samsung 840 (if you are able to obtain a Samsung 830 for the same money, go for this instead).

64 GB is to small, you should either go for 128 or 256 GB.

Agree entirely with clancy688. The system SSD will transform your PC experience.
Also agree that 128 GB is adequate if you are very disciplined about keeping your data and media files on a separate drive. If you are casual about putting stuff away, a 256 GB drive is a better bet.
The latest OCZ drives have apparently gotten noticeably better, but for a user happier with products that are made by the supplier, rather than repackaged merchant market chips, Intel, Samsung or Crucial (Micron Technologies) fill the bill.

I would recommend installing your OS on a low-capacity SSD for your new high-performance gaming rig. SSDs have significantly faster boot times compared to HDDs, which means you will be able to start using your computer more quickly. Additionally, SSDs have no moving parts, making them more durable and less prone to failure. Therefore, investing in a fast SATA III low-capacity SSD for your OS will not only improve your gaming experience, but also increase the overall performance and longevity of your computer.

1. Can I install my OS on a low-capacity SSD?

Yes, you can install your OS on a low-capacity SSD, but it may not be the best choice for your computer's performance and storage needs.

2. What is considered a low-capacity SSD?

A low-capacity SSD is typically defined as having a storage capacity of less than 256GB. However, this can vary depending on your specific needs and usage.

3. Will installing my OS on a low-capacity SSD affect its speed?

Yes, installing your OS on a low-capacity SSD may affect its speed. This is because the smaller storage capacity may limit the amount of data that can be stored and accessed at once.

4. Are there any benefits to installing my OS on a low-capacity SSD?

One potential benefit of installing your OS on a low-capacity SSD is cost savings. These SSDs are typically less expensive than higher-capacity ones, so it may be a more affordable option for those on a budget.

5. Can I upgrade my low-capacity SSD in the future?

Yes, in most cases you can upgrade your low-capacity SSD in the future. However, it is important to check compatibility with your computer and ensure that you have enough space for the upgrade.