Should I retake freshmen math classes?

In summary: Retaking classes may also raise questions about your ability to handle more advanced material. In summary, the individual asking the question is wondering whether it would be better to retake freshman level math courses to improve their grades or to focus on getting better grades in more advanced math courses to prove their competence. They have suffered from medical issues and are concerned about how this will reflect on their grad school application. They are also allowed to retake the classes and have the option to take more advanced math courses. It is advised to only retake the class if they feel it will benefit their understanding of the material rather than just trying to improve their grade. There is a possibility that retaking the class may not result in a better grade and could raise questions about
Jadenee
I know that there are multiple threads regarding retaking classes but everyone's situation is different and I wasn't sure if those posts were going to apply to my situation.
I suffered medical problems, both mental and physical, before even entering university and had them all through freshmen year. I somehow managed to get B+ or above in other classes such as physics, but I got C+ in calc 1, calc 2, and I'll probably get C or C+ in physical mathematics, too. I'm not surprised that I got poor grades with being sick all the time, but the problem is that I only got C+ in math courses. I'm afraid that only getting C+ or below only in math courses will be viewed as an inability to comprehend even basic level math courses.
As for my actual understanding in those course materials, I dedicated all my summer and winter breaks to studying those and I think I understand them well enough. My only concern is how it will look on my grad school application. In terms of improving GPA retaking courses would be more effective as it removes bad grades and injects better grades. However, I understand that retaken courses can sometimes perceived to be worse than having some C's. Also, I'm not that concerned with GPA itself anyways. With finally being recovered and all, I'm pretty confident that my grades will only improve.

So my question is: Should I retake freshmen level math classes so it doesn't look like I'm terrible at math or is it better to get better grades in other, more advanced math classes to prove my competence in math?

p.s. I am allowed to retake those classes (even though I technically passed) according to my school policy. Oddly enough, my school does not require, nor offer any more math classes other than the 3 mentioned above for physics majors, not even linear algebra, but I can take classes for math majors if I want to so taking advanced math courses is also possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would only retake the class if you seriously feel you will benefit in terms of learning the material. If you feel you know the material and you would only be re-taking the course to improve your grade, it's probably not a great plan. Remember, this can backfire. Say you get a proff that you don't learn well from, or you encounter some other life issue that keep you from functioning optimally and end up with little or no improvement. Some peole will believe they understand the material, study less and end up with a worse mark than the first time. What then?

The people on admissions committees will vary in what they look for, but generally speaking doing well in more senior classes will trump a poor mark in a first year class.

1. Should I retake a freshmen math class if I received a low grade?

It may be beneficial to retake the class if you received a low grade, especially if it is a prerequisite for future courses in your major. However, it is important to consider the reasons for the low grade and if you are willing to put in the extra effort to improve your understanding of the material.

2. Will retaking a freshmen math class affect my GPA?

Retaking a class will typically replace the previous grade in your GPA calculation. However, some schools may average the two grades or only take the higher grade into account. It is important to check with your academic advisor to understand how your specific school handles retaking classes.

3. Can I retake a freshmen math class if I passed it?

Yes, you can retake a class even if you passed it. This may be beneficial if you want to improve your grade or if the class is a prerequisite for future courses and you want to strengthen your understanding of the material.

4. Will retaking a freshmen math class be expensive?

The cost of retaking a class will vary depending on your school's tuition and fees. However, some schools may offer a lower tuition rate for retaking classes, so it is best to check with your school's financial aid office for more information.

5. How many times can I retake a freshmen math class?

This depends on your school's policy for retaking classes. Some schools may limit the number of times you can retake a class, while others may allow unlimited retakes. It is important to check with your school to understand their policy.