Should I Switch My Major from Electrical Engineering to Physics?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the forum member is considering transferring to a physics program at another university due to their strong interest in physics and math, despite being close to completing their bachelor's degree in EE. They are seeking advice on whether this is a wise decision and are reminded to consider all factors before making a final decision.
huntflex
Hello everybody :)

I've already posted in this forum, wondering if one could do a masters in physics or maths with bachelor in EE, and the answer was quite helpful. So thanks for that.

Now I am facing a new problem, well not so much a problem, but a tough decision. I've nearly completed my 2nd year in EE, but I must admit that I have really enjoyed the math and physics courses, while I haven't really enjoyed the electronics courses that much (never really had an interest in it, my interest has always been in astronomy, math and physics). Now you may ask "why did you then pick EE?", well I may have thought it was more interesting than it was, it sounded very interesting, but I may have found out now, that when you don't have the passion for it you may complete it, but you won't really enjoy it...

So back to the point, I've been looking into the physics program at another university, and saw that all the physics and math for the first year is nearly identical to what I've already learned (except for some experiments). I think it is possible to transfer all these courses and then start directly in 2nd year (but I will talk to a counselor to know for sure).

The question is, do you think this is a wise move? especially when I'm so close to getting my bachelor in EE?

Thank you very much for your help

PS: I live in Denmark, so the 1st year curriculum may differ from yours

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns with us. It is great to see that you are considering your options and making decisions based on your interests and passions. I would like to offer my perspective on your situation.

Firstly, I want to say that it is completely normal to have a change of heart or interest when it comes to your field of study. It is important to follow your passion and pursue what truly interests you. It seems like you have a strong interest in physics and math, and it is great that you have already started looking into the physics program at another university.

In terms of transferring your courses and starting in the second year, I would recommend talking to a counselor and getting more information about the process and requirements. It is important to ensure that you meet all the necessary criteria and have a smooth transition into the physics program. Additionally, you may want to consider the time and financial implications of transferring to another university. However, if this is truly what you want to do and you are willing to put in the effort, then I believe it could be a wise move for you.

As for being close to getting your bachelor's degree in EE, I would say that it is never too late to change your path and pursue what you are truly passionate about. Your bachelor's degree in EE will still be a valuable asset and can open up various opportunities for you, even if you decide to pursue a master's degree in physics or math.

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make and it is important to carefully consider all the factors before making a final decision. I wish you all the best in your academic journey and I hope you find fulfillment and success in whichever path you choose.

Related to Should I Switch My Major from Electrical Engineering to Physics?

1. Should I change my Bsc major?

This is a personal decision that only you can make. It depends on your interests, career goals, and academic strengths. It's important to carefully consider your options and consult with your academic advisor before making a decision.

2. What are the potential benefits of changing majors?

Changing your Bsc major can open up new career opportunities and allow you to pursue a field that you are truly passionate about. It can also help you develop new skills and broaden your knowledge base.

3. Will changing my major affect my graduation timeline?

It is possible that changing your major may impact your graduation timeline. You may need to take additional courses or complete an extra semester in order to fulfill the requirements for your new major. It's important to discuss this with your academic advisor to create a plan that works for you.

4. Are there any financial implications to changing majors?

Changing your major may affect your financial aid or scholarship eligibility. It's important to check with your school's financial aid office to understand how changing majors may impact your funding.

5. Can I change my major more than once?

Yes, it is possible to change your major more than once. However, it's important to carefully consider your options and make a well-informed decision. Frequent changes in major can delay your graduation and may have financial implications.