Should I take a closer look at Geophysics?

• Thread starter Bogrune
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geophysics
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's uncertainty between studying Economics or Geophysics and their concerns about the career options for Geophysicists. They found topics in General Geology interesting, but are worried about needing a PhD to secure a job in the field. The response suggests that while a PhD may provide more opportunities, there are also job options for those with a master's degree, particularly in oil companies.
Bogrune
Hey everyone!
I'm currently undecided on whether I should study Economics or Geophysics. The main reason I'm undecided is because I don't have much of a clue what kinds of careers are open for Geophysicitst. After taking a course in General Geology this semester, I found topics such as Plate Tectonics, Volcanism and Mineralogy pretty interesting. However, my greatest fear is that if I decide to major in Geophysics, I'll only be able to get a career in that field if I have a PhD, which will obviously take plenty of time and money to accomplish. Is the part about me needing a PhD true?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on which part of the world you are in. Ph.D. would give more options but there are jobs for masters as well. Mostly you'll end up working in oil companies.

1. What is Geophysics?

Geophysics is a field of science that studies the physical properties and processes of the Earth and other planets. It involves using principles of physics to understand and analyze the structure, composition, and behavior of the Earth's interior and surface.

2. Why should I consider studying Geophysics?

Studying Geophysics can lead to a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as oil and gas, environmental consulting, mining, and academia. It also allows for further exploration and understanding of the Earth, which is crucial for addressing global challenges like climate change and natural hazards.

3. Is Geophysics a challenging field of study?

Yes, Geophysics can be a challenging field of study as it requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It also involves conducting fieldwork and analyzing large amounts of data. However, the rewards of solving complex problems and making groundbreaking discoveries make it a highly fulfilling and exciting field.

4. What skills do I need to succeed in Geophysics?

To succeed in Geophysics, you will need a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication. Fieldwork and data analysis skills are also essential for conducting research in this field.

5. What are some current topics of research in Geophysics?

Some current topics of research in Geophysics include climate change and its impact on the Earth's systems, natural hazards such as earthquakes and volcanoes, and the exploration and utilization of natural resources. Other areas of interest include the study of the Earth's magnetic and gravitational fields and its relationship with plate tectonics.