Should I Take a PMP Certification Course?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of acquiring at least 35 PDU before taking the PMP test. The course covers various management areas such as time, budget, quality, human resources, communication, and risks, but it is primarily based on theories. There is a cost of over USD 500 for the test, leading to the question of whether it is necessary to take the course or if reading books about it is sufficient. The PMP Certification is a binary status, and employers value the certification highly. It is also mentioned that many practices taught in the course are not just theories, but empirically valid rules, such as the rule of picking two out of quality, budget, and schedule. The conversation also touches upon the failed
inotyce
People are required to acquire at least 35 PDU before taking the test. The course includes management of (time, budget, quality, human resources, communication, risks etc). But all are theories. I am thinking to take one but I may not take the test because it costs too much (> USD 500). Do you think I should follow the course or is it enough if I only read some books about it ? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The PMP Certification is binary. Either you have it or you don't. "Read some books about it" won't cut any ice with employers who are looking for a PMP-certified PM. On the other hand, if your primary job is not as a PM then you might get some benefit from casual study.

I disagree w/ your statement "But al are theories". Many of the practices taught in PMP are NOT theoreis they are empirically valid rules. A really good one is this: Quality, budget, schedule. Pick 2. You can't have all three. The Obambacare webside folks were forced by political consideration to pretend that they could have all three so ended up with a train wreck.

Related to Should I Take a PMP Certification Course?

1. Should I take a PMP certification course if I don't have project management experience?

The PMP certification is designed for individuals with project management experience, so it may be beneficial to gain some experience before pursuing the certification. However, if you have a strong understanding of project management principles and are willing to put in the time and effort to study for the exam, you may still be able to pass the PMP exam. It's ultimately up to you to decide if you are ready to take on the challenge.

2. What are the benefits of taking a PMP certification course?

A PMP certification course can provide you with a comprehensive understanding of project management principles and best practices, as well as prepare you for the PMP exam. Additionally, being PMP certified can increase your job opportunities, earning potential, and credibility as a project manager.

3. How long does it take to complete a PMP certification course?

The length of a PMP certification course can vary, but most courses are around 35 hours in total. Some courses may require more or less time depending on the format and your individual pace of learning.

4. Is it necessary to take a PMP certification course or can I self-study?

While it is not required to take a PMP certification course, it can greatly benefit your preparation for the exam. Self-study requires a lot of discipline and motivation, and a course can provide structure, guidance, and resources to help you succeed. However, if you have a strong background in project management and are confident in your ability to self-study, you may still be able to pass the exam without a course.

5. How much does a PMP certification course cost?

The cost of a PMP certification course can vary depending on the provider, format, and location. On average, a course can range from $1,000 to $3,000. It's important to consider the value and benefits of a course when evaluating the cost, as it can greatly impact your success in achieving the PMP certification.