Should only smart people get to use guns?

• Thread starter Containment
  • Start date
In summary, a recent case in the news has prompted the idea of a gun ban for only people with high intelligence scores. This raises questions about the effectiveness and fairness of such a ban and the potential for a black market for guns. Some argue that this may create a society where only smart people are allowed to defend themselves with guns, which may not be desirable. Overall, this idea has sparked a larger debate on gun control and its potential consequences.
Containment
Thinking about a recent case that's in the news lately got me thinking about gun bans. I am personally a right to own gun person however I found myself pondering the idea that only smart people should be allowed to use guns. I was thinking if I was going to ban guns I would ban them in such a way that only people with very high intelligence scores could use them. So basically in order to get a gun you would have to take an IQ test and score in the top percentile. Well that's unlikely but then it got me to thinking do smart people pack heat? You got to think if a person is smart enough they should be able to avoid situations where they need guns most of the time so carrying a gun around would prove to be more of a pain in the you know what for the most part.

Is it really true that "smart" people don't arm them self's in public? Would requiring people to pass an IQ test to use guns cause a massive surge in the gun sales blackmarket? And would you accept it if you were in the IQ bracket that did not allow for gun ownership?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think this would stop people like Anders Breivik?

Why are people with high iqs more trust worthy with guns?

An IQ test has NOTHING to do with mental stability. The unibomber was reportedly quite a bright guy.

Containment said:
And would you accept it if you were in the IQ bracket that did not allow for gun ownership?

Some might argue that this IQ bracket is, in fact, the high one.

More generally, how about NOBODY is allowed to own guns? If the counter-argument is that this would disadvantage law-abiding folk because the criminals will ignore the ban, then the consequence of your suggestion is that only smart peoiple should be allowed the claimed-for defence of guns.

Not really the sort of society I'd want to live in.

This thread does not meet the minimum requirements to post in this section. Please be sure to read both sets of rules stickied at the top of the Philosphy forum. Rules must be followed when posting.

1. Should intelligence be a factor in determining who can use guns?

This is a highly debated topic with valid arguments on both sides. Some argue that intelligence is not a reliable indicator of responsible gun ownership, while others believe that those with higher intelligence can better understand the consequences and responsibilities of owning a gun.

2. What is the correlation between intelligence and gun violence?

There is no clear correlation between intelligence and gun violence. Many factors contribute to gun violence, including mental health, access to firearms, and socioeconomic status.

3. Would restricting gun access to only smart people reduce gun violence?

There is no evidence to suggest that limiting gun access to only smart people would significantly reduce gun violence. Other measures, such as stricter gun laws and improved mental health support, may be more effective in reducing gun violence.

4. How can intelligence be measured in determining who can use guns?

Intelligence is a complex concept that cannot be accurately measured by a single factor. Factors such as education level, test scores, and problem-solving abilities may be considered, but they do not necessarily reflect one's ability to handle a gun responsibly.

5. Are there any countries that restrict gun ownership based on intelligence?

As far as we know, there are no countries that restrict gun ownership based on intelligence. Most countries have laws and regulations in place that require background checks and training for gun ownership, rather than intelligence testing.