Should the US veto a UN resolution granting Palestine statehood?

• News
  • Thread starter Bobbywhy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resolution
In summary: United States has already said it would veto this effort.If the USA does veto the Palestine request it would seem to contradict what President Obama said this past May:“So while the core issues of the conflict must be negotiated, the basis of those negotiations is clear: a viable Palestine, a secure Israel. The United States believes that negotiations should result in two states, with permanent Palestinian borders with Israel, Jordan, and Egypt, and permanent Israeli borders with Palestine. We believe the borders of Israel and Palestine should be based on the 1967 lines with mutually agreed swaps, so that secure and recognized borders are established for both states. The Palestinian people must have the right to govern themselves, and reach their full potential, in a sovereign and
Bobbywhy said:
Dear Mr. OmCheeto, in your post #100 above when you wrote "Parsi" were you by any chance referring to the language of Iran: Farsi?

Yes.

http://www.iranchamber.com/literature/articles/persian_parsi_language_history.php"

Or from wiki if you like:
pronounced in the Persian language as Fārsī or, alternatively, its etymological root Pārsī.

Parsi/Farsi/Iranian is the last language I started to learn. But then all hell broke loose on the planet and I've been treading water ever since. Hence, I know only how to say 'window', and 'I know nothing' in Parsi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rootX said:
I don't know what's worse, US Republicans vs Democrats issues or Israel vs Palestine issues :tongue:

It's most about blaming each other in both cases.

Agreed. Personally, I just got the feeling that if you take the blame game out of it, and just look at the geographic and demographic problem, the only way out is a (completely) segregated state with two equal factions and a population which has equal opportunities. And then hope that some future generation will tear down the walls because both sides are just fed up with it. (This is under the assumption that the majority of the people believe they are living with an existential conflict.)

I have the feeling that the Israeli route now seems to be the one state, one (kind-of) people, solution. It also doesn't seem to be working.

It's a complete mess. And I think it started with dividing Palestine in two, legitimizing the ideological divide. The place would even have been better off with a British occupational force. It's just one big UN cock-up.

OmCheeto said:
Tell me if I've told this story B4:

My mom's parent's house, which was in the eastern part of Germany, back before there was an east and west Germany, now sits inside the western border of Poland.

The question is, should I call up Barack, and ask him to invade Borek's country, because my grandparents house is now in the wrong country, and is rightfully mine?

And while I'm at it, on my dad's side, my great great grandparent's owned a farm outside of Odessa in the Ukraine. They all died during the Holodomor. I want that farm back too. There actually might have been multiple farms. My mom translated a whole bunch of letters from a whole bunch of different relatives. All dead. But I'll take the farms back now, thank you very much.

Barack! We got some invading to do!

:rolleyes:

Sorry...

As I recall, Tel Aviv, Israel's second largest city, sprung out of uninhabited desert. That is about all I know about Israel. I will leave now. :redface:

(Thank god great grandma made it out alive, or, well, you know, I'd not be.)
The US took most of it's land by force from American Indians, we probably should give it back and leave before the native Indians start launching rockets at us. :biggrin:

BTW, I believe that my mother's family owns half of France and all of England based on her royal ancestors going back to the 12th century. :tongue2:

I'm not that busy, perhaps I should start launching rockets, are you with me OM? We can probably get you some land too. J/K :biggrin:

klimatos said:
Speaking of personal observation, you say you are an Israeli. Have you ever been to any Palestinian settlement on the West Bank? Have you ever compared them with nearby Israeli settlements? On what experience or other evidence are you basing your opinions on water rights in the West Bank?

As I said before, I spent most of my military career at the west bank.
I fear your opinions and/or "facts" are based on wrong TV channels/newspapers, you're a victim of anti-Israeli propaganda.
On top of this, if you're looking for cases where military actions causes civilizan casualties, you don't have to look far, USA in Afganistan.
Maybe also worth to mention double standarts of Europe and the crimes they conducted in Libya.

Fortunately yours opinions counts for nothing, we in Israel identified the problem and already applying the solution, we don't need treacherous peace, status quo will be enforced by domination [passive or active according to the needs].

klimatos said:
The question was which side started the war, not which side might have started it in some alternative universe.

Israel started the war with carefully coordinated and well-planned attacks on Egypt, Jordan, and Syria. Israel has admitted to spending months in training their troops specifically for these attacks. These attacks were an action, not a reaction.

If Egypt was planning on an immanent attack on Israel, they had a funny way of going about it. Large numbers of their best troops were out of the country fighting in Yemen. And most of their warplanes were destroyed on the ground, not in the air.

Nasser expelled the UN peacekeepers from the Sinai. Egypt, Syria and Jordan were all preparing for war. The blockade of the gulf of Aqaba was an act of war according to international law. All of this preceded the preemptive attack by Israel. The war began before the Israelis fired the first shot. Can you blame Israel for planning for the war which the Arabs were going to unleash?

So the Nasser was caught with his pants down and left his air force sitting ducks. Three failed wars of extermination against a much smaller state. These guys are no military geniuses.

I knew Nasser had military advisors in Yemen trying to depose the Imam but I was unaware of "large numbers". Do you have a reference?

OmCheeto said:
Yes.

http://www.iranchamber.com/literature/articles/persian_parsi_language_history.php"

Or from wiki if you like:

Parsi/Farsi/Iranian is the last language I started to learn. But then all hell broke loose on the planet and I've been treading water ever since. Hence, I know only how to say 'window', and 'I know nothing' in Parsi.

Dear Mr. OmCheeto, Thank you for your fast and accurate response. Of course, you are exactly right about the origin of the Persian language. I did not mean to be critical. I am an American. I learned Farsi in Iran as a Peace Corps Volunteer there, using the language during two years in the classroom. Later I returned to Iran and worked there another year. I read, write, and speak Farsi fluently. I simply have never heard any Iranian use the term "Parsi" when speaking about their language. It seems to be archaic to use "Parsi", that's all.

klimatos said:
After further consideration I have decided that I will no longer post on this thread. I do so without any real hard feelings. The Israeli-Arab discussion seems to have gone the way of the climate-change discussion. Emotion has far outstripped reason. (Of course, those who have been emotional will insist that they have only been reasonable!)

I shall continue to post on less contentious threads. May the Peace of God that passeth all understanding be upon all of you.

that's a shame, i was enjoying reading your posts. you are a rare gem in these parts.

Oh, klimatos! I too regret your leaving this discussion. You have contributed much already.

klimatos said:
After further consideration I have decided that I will no longer post on this thread. I do so without any real hard feelings. The Israeli-Arab discussion seems to have gone the way of the climate-change discussion. Emotion has far outstripped reason. (Of course, those who have been emotional will insist that they have only been reasonable!)

I shall continue to post on less contentious threads. May the Peace of God that passeth all understanding be upon all of you.

Your country needs you man!

It is crime if you decide not to tell your people about your experience even if it is against the Palestinian. I wrote ten thousands of posts on the Islamic forums since 11/9 to tell that people that those Islamic terrorists are just brainwashed criminals and to show the peaceful and civilised side of the West. I used Koran and Islam to show that their ideology is evil and has nothing to do with Islam as religion and culture. I am a victim of the Israeli occupation, but I wrote many posts on Hamas website against suicide bombers, and I had difficult time with them.

Who is more extremist Hamas or Liberman (Israel baituna party) who is the second politician in Israel?? Why you do not talk about Gush Umonim (Gad party in Hebrew) or Kahana Hai and their ideology? Why you do not talk about the religious Jews schools -Jews Taliban- in West Bank and how they teach their kids to butcher the Arabs? What about the systematic destruction and non-Jews heritage in Palestine?

You should keep telling people about your experience, it is shame that many American are blindly support Israel without knowing that will harm their interest in ME and the Islamic world.

Is Israel real democracy? How could be a democratic country call it self "Jews state" and ignores the national rights of the non-Jews? Are Jews a race "nation" or religious group as Muslims and Christian? How could blond Ukrainian Jews get the full national rights before arrival to Israel, while I as Palestinian whose my ancestors living in this country since centuries are considered as sub-human??

Why you do not tell your people that we Palestinian are a nation –not a Muslim group, and many of our leaders are Christians especially in 60s and 70s?? I myself have Jews and Christian roots.

My colleague from Israel is pleased with his military services in West Bank. He wants me to forget many years of suffering. He wants me to forget that I did not live my childhood (as all Palestinian under occupation). He wants me to forget my cousin who died on the checkpoint. He wants me to forget the daily attacks from the settlers.

What happen in Palestine is a shame on the West, especially USA, UK and some European countries.

Evo said:
Go back in time, the Israelites where there first. :smile:

Israeli researchers admit that the current Palestinian has "Jews roots" but they lost their religion after conversion to Christianity and Judaism.

We have many Palestinian families from Jews origin. So playing the card who is living before is not logical. People of Palestine changed their religion many times through the history –as any other nation- but their genes are the same or mixed with the invaders.

estro said:
As I said before, I spent most of my military career at the west bank.
I spent most of my life under the Israeli occupation, and I never see the paradise of your occupation?? Every morning I used to pass on checkpoint to reach my school/University, the Israeli soldiers used to slap me without any reason and to force me and other students to stand under the rain or under the sun for hours -just because we are Palestinian. By the way, I respect the Jews and I did a lot of research in history to show the contribution of Jews in the Islamic civilisation and their roots in the East. We had Jews neighbours from Yemeni origin and we always live in peace with good relations until the first intifada in 1987.

The Israeli soldiers used to ask all the males from age 14 to 70 in my village to gather at the centre. Afterward, they force all of us to clean the streets by our hands and then to stand on the walls rising our hands for several hours.

You are unlucky, because there is an invention called u-tube and all what you need is typing such worlds: checkpoints, Hebron settlers to watch your peaceful occupation and how you treat the Palestinian since decades!

Those religious Christian who supports you in USA or the white extremists who supports you in Europe are waiting the suitable time to annihilate your people. It is better to build bridges of peace and understanding with your neighbours in ME than to follow blindly those groups in the West with hidden agenda. Jews had great contribution in e ME east civilisations. They should remember that Turks, Arabs and Persians are their historical ally and they protected them many times in history.

Majd100 said:
Jews Taliban- in West Bank and how they teach their kids to butcher the Arabs?
I consider this as a libel against Israel and its people!
Democracy and coexistence [both totally nonexistent in Muslim world, except of maybe Turkey which is as well on a highway to the wrong direction] is the flagship of our education system, actually I believed it before joining the army.
The facts are completely the opposite:
1.www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/MFAArchive/2000_...T-+Incitement-+Antisemitism+and+Hatred+of.htm
2.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textbooks_in_the_Palestinian_territories

Majd100 said:
What about the systematic destruction and non-Jews heritage in Palestine?
This is probably a joke,so I'll not comment on it. [I own you a joke.]

Majd100 said:
You should keep telling people about your experience, it is shame that many American are blindly support Israel without knowing that will harm their interest in ME and the Islamic world.
One who don't live here can't have experience, only me and you know the truth. But I don't hide behind beautiful words as you try to.

Majd100 said:
Is Israel real democracy? How could be a democratic country call it self "Jews state" and ignores the national rights of the non-Jews?
Please stop spreading lies and anti Israeli-propaganda, and backup you claims by examples.
The fact: Israeli Arabs enjoy more "national rights" than I do, as they are not obligated for military service [I spent 4 years in IDF].

Majd100 said:
My colleague from Israel is pleased with his military services in West Bank. He wants me to forget many years of suffering. He wants me to forget that I did not live my childhood (as all Palestinian under occupation). He wants me to forget my cousin who died on the checkpoint. He wants me to forget the daily attacks from the settlers.
0. Please don't call me your colleague!
1. You want me to forget my friends who will forever remain 18-20 years old?
2. You want me to forget my neighbor who was killed in terrorist attack in Netanya.
3. Daily attacks by settlers? [I guess you will never stop with lies]
The suffering you described is a dish that was prepared by yourself.

Majd100 said:
What happen in Palestine is a shame on the West, especially USA, UK and some European countries.
Pray Allah that this "occupation" will continue forever otherwise you will find out the taste of life [and blood] the taste you brothers in Siria, Libia and etc know very well.

Before PA will talk about human rights, I suggest you to protect those rights that you so much like to talk about. [I'm talking about the status of women in PA]

Majd100 said:
Those religious Christian who supports you in USA or the white extremists who supports you in Europe are waiting the suitable time to annihilate your people. It is better to build bridges of peace and understanding with your neighbours in ME than to follow blindly those groups in the West with hidden agenda. Jews had great contribution in e ME east civilisations. They should remember that Turks, Arabs and Persians are their historical ally and they protected them many times in history.
I don't trust Europe as much as I don't trust you, days where Jews were victims are over.
We know how to deal with our European "friends" and their double standarts, as good as we know how to dominate our closest "friends" and neighbors to ensure our survival.
They maybe wait for a suitable time, but for you every time is suitable.
Majd100 said:
People of Palestine changed their religion many times through the history –as any other nation- but their genes are the same or mixed with the invaders.

Sorry, I couldn't hold myself, besides, I own you a joke:
Convert one more time and problem solved?

Last edited:
estro said:
… I own you a joke …

hello friend! :smile:

no, you owe him a joke! :wink:
Bobbywhy said:
Dear Mr. OmCheeto, in your post #100 above when you wrote "Parsi" were you by any chance referring to the language of Iran: Farsi?

In Arabic, F and P are the same letter … if you've ever heard Arabic speakers saying "Palestinians", they pronounce it "Felastinians" (it's the Arabic word for "Philistines", which is why it was originally an insult, and was not used by the Palestinians themselves until about 1980).

So the Iranians/Persians got used to their language being called Farsi, see http://www.iranchamber.com/literature/articles/persian_parsi_language_history.php" …
Although the name of the language has been maintained as Persian or Parsi or its Arabic form Farsi (because in Arabic they do not have the letter P) the language has undergone great changes and can be categorized into the following groups.
Old Persian
Middle Persian
Classical Persian
Modern Persian

Modern Persian language or Farsi (Arabic pronunciation of Parsi) as spoken today consists of …
OmCheeto said:
As I recall, Tel Aviv, Israel's second largest city, sprung out of uninhabited desert. That is about all I know about Israel. I will leave now. :redface:

That's right :smile: … see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel_Aviv#Ahuzat_Bayit"

In 1908, the group purchased 5 hectares (12 acres) of dunes northeast of Jaffa
Majd100 said:
… Why you do not talk about the religious Jews schools -Jews Taliban- in West Bank and how they teach their kids to butcher the Arabs?

That is a racist lie. :mad:
… while I as Palestinian whose my ancestors living in this country since centuries are considered as sub-human??

Another racist lie. :mad:

Majd100, why do you write these things? :frown:

tiny-tim said:
Another racist lie. :mad:

Tim, this isn't a hollywood movie. People are dying over there because two populations believe they are in a race for survival. At the moment, there's little doubt that the 'jewish' part represses the Palestine part because of what they understand the consequences would be if they wouldn't. (Estro admitted that) Both parties have their own set of truths, propaganda and lies. There's little you can do about that, but you can't blame a Palestinian for venting his opinions. I am sorry, but it is has become irrelevant what either party claims is true.

estro said:
Pray Allah that this "occupation" will continue forever otherwise you will find out the taste of life [and blood] the taste you brothers in Siria, Libia and etc know very well.
?

The crusaders believed that they will occupy Palestine and Near East forever…. but they realized after 200 years that they were just dreaming.

Syria and other countries are fighting their dictators to build new democratic United States ... the same as French and American did 200 years ago. All the world respect the Arab revolutions against dictators. We will rise again and I wish you wake up before it is too late.

estro said:
0. Please don't call me your colleague!
1. You want me to forget my friends who will forever remain 18-20 years old?
2. You want me to forget my neighbor who was killed in terrorist attack in Netanya.
3. Daily attacks by settlers? [I guess you will never stop with lies]
The suffering you described is a dish that was prepared by yourself.

We did not go to their original countries (Poland, Morocco, Germany ...) to kill them ...

I will be banned if I continue... so I satisfy with my answers.

Majd100 said:
We did not go to their original countries (Poland, Morocco, Germany ...) to kill them ...

I will be banned if I continue... so I satisfy with my answers.

You are not clear at what you want to say.

Videos you posted are single nature events that don't implies on general behavior. Once public opinion ate these lies, but luckily it was long ago.

Last edited:
MarcoD said:
it is has become irrelevant what either party claims is true.

Oh brilliant! :rolleyes:

(Was that a quotation from George Orwell's book "1984"?)

There is a certain sort of person who believes, when talking about Israel, that the truth doesn't matter. :mad:
At the moment, there's little doubt that the 'jewish' part represses the Palestine part because of what they understand the consequences would be if they wouldn't.

(not sure why you don't say "the Israel part" :confused:)

I agree.

But there's a big difference between repression and oppression.

Repressing a people's right to nationhood (and other repressive measures such as road blocks) until they agree to stop targeting civilians, or trying to destroy or absorb a neighbouring country, is reasonable and lawful …

which is why the USA will use its veto (sorry to get back to the topic! :blushing: :biggrin:)
People are dying over there because two populations believe they are in a race for survival. (Estro admitted that)

No, Estro didn't. :frown:

Israel is always concerned about being destroyed …

as the famous quotation goes (unfortunately, not so famous that i can remember who originated it :redface:) …

"The Arabs can lose as many wars as they like, but Israel only has to lose once, and it ceases to exist."​

But no one is trying to destroy Palestine or the Palestinians: when the Palestinians agree to behave like a UN member, they will become a UN member. :smile:
… you can't blame a Palestinian for venting his opinions.

I can blame anyone for lies. I will blame anyone for racist lies. :mad:

This thread is closed pending moderation.