Should we check a person's post history before responding to their thread?

• Thread starter Frabjous
  • Start date
In summary: I recently responded to a new thread which I didn’t know was continuing an old discussionSo? and didn’t like where things went.In the new or in the old thread. Any links? What is the conclusion of all this?In summary, the conversation revolved around the issue of checking a person's previous posts before responding and the annoyance of people creating multiple threads with similar questions. It was suggested to report such threads if they seem suspicious. A list of banned words in discussions was also mentioned, with a request to add "gedankenexperiment" to the list. The discussion then shifted to the meaning of the German word "gesundheit" and the direction of the thread. However, the initial questions posed in the
Frabjous
Gold Member
How often do you check on a person before responding? I recently responded to a new thread which I didn’t know was continuing an old discussion and didn’t like where things went.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wakarimasen...

Likes Vanadium 50
¿Que?

Likes berkeman
Now I have to report both of you for not posting in English :wink:

Likes mcastillo356 and Evo
caz said:
Good idea! I herewith demand that all members stop talking about eigenvalues and eigenvectors all the time! Banned are also 'ansatz', 'dreck', the use of ##\mathbb{Z}##, or ##K## for fields. This list will occasionally be updated.

• Haha
Likes dextercioby, Klystron, phinds and 3 others
fresh_42 said:
Banned are also 'ansatz', 'dreck'
How about banning V and V4 for the Group that isn't C4/Z4 too?

Vanadium 50 said:
How about banning V and V4 for the Group that isn't C4/Z4 too?
As a physicist, I would be more worried about the dreibein.

caz said:
Lo siento. (oops, sorry for stepping on V50's toes there...)

Now back to the OP -- what in theee world were you talking about?

berkeman said:
Lo siento. (oops, sorry for stepping on V50's toes there...)

Now back to the OP -- what in theee world were you talking about?
There are people who when they do not get the answer they like, go and create other threads with slightly different questions. It is really annoying when one tries to answer one of these threads and it starts to go off the rails because they are looking not for an answer, but validation.
I was curious if people checked a person’s previous posts before responding.

Likes pinball1970
caz said:
There are people who when they do not get the answer they like, go and create other threads with slightly different questions. It is really annoying when one tries to answer one of these threads and it starts to go off the rails because they are looking not for an answer, but validation.
I was curious if people checked a person’s previous posts before responding.
I check poster histories all the time, but that's because of my Mentor tendencies. But if you ever suspect something is fishy in a post or thread, please click the Report link on the post sooner rather than later. We usually can check out the thread pretty quickly when it's reported to us. Thanks.

Likes pinball1970 and Bystander
fresh_42 said:
Good idea! I herewith demand that all members stop talking about eigenvalues and eigenvectors all the time! Banned are also 'ansatz', 'dreck', the use of ##\mathbb{Z}##, or ##K## for fields. This list will occasionally be updated.
Could we please add gedankenexperiment to the list? Every time I see it I think someone is being thanked for an experiment.

• Haha
Likes dextercioby, Klystron, strangerep and 7 others
But can we keep Zitterbewegung? That's fun to say. Like FahrfigNewton.

Likes berkeman and fresh_42
phinds said:
Could we please add gedankenexperiment to the list? Every time I see it I think someone is being thanked for an experiment.
...or someone just sneezed in the lab?

• Love
Likes dlgoff
jtbell said:
...or someone just sneezed in the lab?
No, the German for "thanks" is danke, so gedankenexperiment should mean "thanks for the experiment"

• Haha
Likes dlgoff and BillTre
phinds said:
No, the German for "thanks" is danke, so gedankenexperiment should mean "thanks for the experiment"
And it's even worse: one cannot afford to make a spelling error, since Gedenkenexperiment would mean an experiment about memorializing!

• Wow
Likes BillTre
phinds said:
No, the German for "thanks" is danke, so gedankenexperiment should mean "Gee! Thanks for the experiment"
Fixed it for you. :wink:

• Haha
  • Sad
Likes dextercioby, hutchphd, BillTre and 1 other person
The German equivalent for "God bless you" when someone sneezes is Gesundheit, so a German hears:
Sneeze
Gesundheit

What I always heard was
Sneeze
Sneeze

phinds said:
The German equivalent for "God bless you" when someone sneezes is Gesundheit, so a German hears:
Sneeze
Gesundheit

What I always heard was
Sneeze
Sneeze
Gesundheit simply means health. We do not see a necessity to bother God with it.

• Haha
Likes anorlunda and phinds
fresh_42 said:
Gesundheit simply means health. We do not see a necessity to bother God with it.
Yeah, but it still sounds like a sneeze.

phinds said:
Yeah, but it still sounds like a sneeze.
It is pronounced: guehsoonedhite.

fresh_42 said:
It is pronounced: guehsoonedhite.
@phinds
Are you going to jump in at any point?
Thread heading in a northern direction now taken a path to the west.

pinball1970 said:
Thread heading in a northern direction now taken a path to the west.
I think the issue was, that the first two questions never have been answered, and nobody fully understood post number one. What does it mean to check on a person, and what for?
caz said:
I recently responded to a new thread which I didn’t know was continuing an old discussion
So?
caz said:
and didn’t like where things went.
In the new or in the old thread. Any links?

What is the conclusion of all this?

fresh_42 said:
I think the issue was, that the first two questions never have been answered, and nobody fully understood post number one. What does it mean to check on a person, and what for?

So?

Q1. I mean to look at some of their previous posts to see if they are worth the effort.
Q2. It’s annoying.
Q3. New thread. The OP was stubborn in the old thread and stuck to it in the new one. No need to name names.
Q4. No conclusion. I was just trying to ask if people checked the posts of people they didn’t recognize before responding to their questions.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:

So?

I elucidated reasons why synth drums should not have been pushed forward onto the musical community just because technology allowed.
Context played a part and I think @phinds jumped in after one or two posts to steady the thread. In my view it was not that tangential.
Not as much as yours and other posters in this instance. Was my point.

caz said:
I was just trying to ask if people checked the posts of people they didn’t recognize before responding to their questions.
That's a waste of time 90% of the time and since no one can tell WHICH 90% I think most of us just answer the question and move on.

Likes Frabjous and fresh_42
caz said:
Q4. No conclusion. I was just trying to ask if people checked the posts of people they didn’t recognize before responding to their questions.
Once upon a time; have since learned to apply the ancient adage, "Do NOT feed the trolls."

fresh_42 said:
We do not see a necessity to bother God with it.
... especially since He/She sneezes down upon us quite frequently.

caz said:
I was just trying to ask if people checked the posts of people they didn’t recognize before responding to their questions.
Some opening questions can be suspicious enough to induce a preventive history check, but it's really rare. In general, if somebody wants to turn a new leaf, then I'm OK with it.

If he is not really successful with starting anew then pinging a mentor would do the trick: and so the litter would be gathered in one bin.

1. Should we always check a person's post history before responding to their thread?

It is not necessary to check a person's post history before responding to their thread. However, it can provide valuable context and help you understand their perspective better.

2. What are the potential benefits of checking a person's post history before responding?

Checking a person's post history can help you avoid repeating previous discussions or arguments, and can also give you a better understanding of their beliefs and opinions.

3. Are there any drawbacks to checking a person's post history before responding?

One potential drawback is that you may make assumptions about the person based on their previous posts, which may not be accurate or fair. It is important to approach each thread with an open mind.

4. How far back should we check a person's post history?

This is a personal preference and there is no set rule. Some people may choose to only look at recent posts, while others may want to get a broader understanding by looking at their entire post history.

5. Can checking a person's post history be considered invasive or disrespectful?

It depends on the context and how the information is used. If you are using their post history to gain a better understanding of their perspective, it is not necessarily invasive. However, if you are using it to attack or discredit the person, it can be considered disrespectful.