Shouldn't the shape of a semiconductor laser be planar instead of conical?

In summary, a semiconductor laser typically emits a fan-shaped beam with an elliptical spatial profile due to diffraction, with a dispersion angle of several tens of degrees in the perpendicular direction and around ten degrees in the parallel direction. This can be seen in Figure 6, where the beam is described as being astigmatic.
Ted goldmund lee
TL;DR Summary
It feels like the shape of the blasting laser have to be planar because the gain medium itself looks like rectangular.
I read about semiconductor laser and its beam shape is conical with 50' of dispersion angle.
1565705065843.png

But for me, it is hard to accept that it is conical because every single drawing I see is rectangular and the plan that laser going out is also a plain, not a hole.

1565705155655.png

And this is the picture I saw earlier.

Please help me..

Physics news on Phys.org
See Fig. 6 in https://pe2bz.philpem.me.uk/Lights/.../C04-M06-DiodeLaserPowerSupplies/mod04_06.htm

"The beam emitted from a semiconductor laser typically has an elliptical spatial profile, as illustrated in Figure 6. The profile is caused by diffraction. In the direction perpendicular to the junction, the beam is confined by the narrow junction, typically of width around one micrometer. The beam in that direction is spread by diffraction to an angle often as large as several tens of degrees. In the direction parallel to the junction, the beam is not confined so stringently and spreads less, perhaps to around ten degrees or so. The result is a fan-shaped beam, as indicated in the figure. The beam is said to be astigmatic. "

1. Why is the shape of a semiconductor laser typically conical?

The conical shape of a semiconductor laser allows for better heat dissipation and reduces the risk of thermal damage to the device. It also allows for easier fabrication and integration with other components.

2. Can a semiconductor laser be designed with a planar shape?

Yes, semiconductor lasers can be designed with a planar shape. However, this may result in lower efficiency and higher operating temperatures, as well as more complex fabrication processes.

3. What are the advantages of a planar semiconductor laser?

A planar semiconductor laser can have a smaller footprint, making it more suitable for integration into smaller devices. It also allows for easier coupling with optical fibers and other components.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a planar semiconductor laser?

As mentioned, a planar shape may result in lower efficiency and higher operating temperatures. It also requires more precise fabrication techniques, which can increase production costs.

5. Is the shape of a semiconductor laser a major factor in its performance?

While the shape of a semiconductor laser can affect its performance, it is not the only factor. Other important factors include the materials used, the design of the active region, and the quality of the fabrication process.