Show that a rational function under some constraint is actually a polynomial.

In summary, this conversation discusses how to show that a rational function $r(x)$ over $\mathbb{Q}$ is a polynomial in $\mathbb{Q}[x]$ if $r(n)$ is an integer for infinitely many integers $n$. This is done by using Euclid's algorithm and choosing a suitable value for $n$. The conclusion is that if $r(n)$ is not an integer, then the numerator of $r(x)$ must be zero, proving that $r(x)$ is a polynomial.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Let $r(x)\in\mathbb Q(x)$ be a rational function over $\mathbb Q$. Assume $r(n)$ is an integer for infinitely many integers $n$. Then show that $r(x)$ is a polynomial in $\mathbb Q[x]$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
Let $r(x)\in\mathbb Q(x)$ be a rational function over $\mathbb Q$. Assume $r(n)$ is an integer for infinitely many integers $n$. Then show that $r(x)$ is a polynomial in $\mathbb Q[x]$.
Let $r(x) = \dfrac{p(x)}{q(x)}$, where $p(x),\,q(x)\in \mathbb Q[x]$. Apply Euclid's algorithm in $\mathbb Q[x]$ to see that $p(x) = a(x)q(x) + b(x)$, where $a(x),\,b(x) \in\mathbb Q[x]$ and $\deg(b(x)) < \deg(q(x)).$ Then $$r(x) = a(x) + \frac{b(x)}{q(x)}.$$ Now choose $n$ to be a multiple of the lcm of the denominators of the coefficients of $a(x)$. Then each term in the polynomial $a(n)$ is an integer except perhaps the constant term. Let $c$ be the fractional part of the constant term. If $b(x)$ is not the zero polynomial then by choosing $n$ large enough we can ensure that $|b(n)/q(n)|$ is nonzero, less than $1$ (because $\deg(b(x)) < \deg(q(x))$), and $b(n)/q(n)$ is different from $-c$ and $1-c$. That would mean that $r(n)$ is not an integer.

The conclusion is that $b(x)$ must be $0$ and therefore $r(x) = a(x) \in \mathbb{Q}[x]$.

Opalg said:
Let $r(x) = \dfrac{p(x)}{q(x)}$, where $p(x),\,q(x)\in \mathbb Q[x]$. Apply Euclid's algorithm in $\mathbb Q[x]$ to see that $p(x) = a(x)q(x) + b(x)$, where $a(x),\,b(x) \in\mathbb Q[x]$ and $\deg(b(x)) < \deg(q(x)).$ Then $$r(x) = a(x) + \frac{b(x)}{q(x)}.$$ Now choose $n$ to be a multiple of the lcm of the denominators of the coefficients of $a(x)$. Then each term in the polynomial $a(n)$ is an integer except perhaps the constant term. Let $c$ be the fractional part of the constant term. If $b(x)$ is not the zero polynomial then by choosing $n$ large enough we can ensure that $|b(n)/q(n)|$ is nonzero, less than $1$ (because $\deg(b(x)) < \deg(q(x))$), and $b(n)/q(n)$ is different from $-c$ and $1-c$. That would mean that $r(n)$ is not an integer.

The conclusion is that $b(x)$ must be $0$ and therefore $r(x) = a(x) \in \mathbb{Q}[x]$.
That's good. Here's mine.Let $r(x)=g(x)/f(x)$ for some $f(x),g(x)\in\mathbb Q[x]$. Clearing the denominators of $f$ and $g$ we can write $r(x)=g_1(x)/f_1(x)$ for some $g_1,f_1\in\mathbb Z[x]$. By hypothesis
\begin{equation*}
\exists N_i\in \mathbb Z\text{ such that } N_{i}<N_{i+1}\text{ and }f_1(N_i)|g_1(N_i)\text{ for all } i>0\tag{1}
\end{equation*}
Now by Euclid we can write $f(x)a(x)+g(x)b(x)=1$ for some $a(x),b(x)\in\mathbb Q[x]$. Clearing the denominators we can write the last equation as
\begin{equation*}
f_1(x)a_1(x)+g_1(x)b_1(x)=n\text{ for a fixed }n\in\mathbb Z\text{ and }a_1(x),b_1(x)\in\mathbb Z[x]\tag{2}
\end{equation*}
But from (1) and (2) we have that $f_1(N_i)|n$ for all $i>0$. Since there are only finitely many factors of $n$ we must have a factor $d$ of $n$ such that $f_1(N_i)=d$ holds for infinitely many $N_i$'s. This is impossible since if this were true then the polynomial $z(x)=f_1(x)-d$ would have infinitely many distinct roots. This furnishes the required contradiction and the proof is complete.$\blacksquare$

Related to Show that a rational function under some constraint is actually a polynomial.

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical expression that can be written as the quotient of two polynomials. It is typically in the form of f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials and q(x) is not equal to zero.

2. What is a constraint in relation to rational functions?

A constraint in this context refers to a limitation or condition that must be satisfied in order for the rational function to be considered a polynomial. This could be a specific value that the function must equal, or a range of values that the function must fall within.

3. How do you show that a rational function is actually a polynomial?

In order to show that a rational function is actually a polynomial, you must first identify the constraint that is given. Then, you must manipulate the function algebraically to eliminate the denominator and simplify the expression. If the resulting expression is a polynomial, then the rational function is equivalent to a polynomial.

4. What is the importance of proving that a rational function is a polynomial?

Proving that a rational function is a polynomial is important because it allows for easier analysis and manipulation of the function. Polynomials have well-defined properties and can be solved using various techniques, making them more manageable than rational functions. Additionally, knowing that a rational function is a polynomial can provide insight into its behavior and characteristics.

5. Are there any specific methods for proving that a rational function is a polynomial?

Yes, there are a few specific methods that can be used to prove that a rational function is a polynomial. These include the limit method, the long division method, and the synthetic division method. Each method involves manipulating the rational function algebraically to eliminate the denominator and simplify the expression into a polynomial form.