Show that an oscillating electric monopole does not radiate

In summary, an oscillating electric monopole is a hypothetical concept in electromagnetism where a single electric charge moves back and forth in a periodic motion. It does not radiate because it does not accelerate, which is consistent with the law of conservation of energy. However, this concept is not applicable in real-world situations as charges are never truly isolated. Despite this, the understanding of its behavior can aid in the development of technologies such as antennas and wireless communication devices.
physstudent.4

Homework Statement

Given
[tex] \rho(r',t)=\frac{Q}{4\pi (r')^2} \delta(r'-(R_0-\Delta{R}\cos(wt))) [/tex]
[tex] J(r',t)=\frac{wQ\cos(wt)}{4\pi r'} [/tex],
which is an oscillating sphere with uniform charge distribution,
find the vector potential, then the magnetic and electric fields.
Hint: Integrate in the following order: [tex] \phi , \theta , r' [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] A(r',t)=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int\frac{J(r',t_R)}{|r-r'|}d^3r' [/tex]
Also, due to symmetry, we are told to find it at a point z along the z axis.
Since the point is to show there is no radiation, we must be in the radiation zone, so z>>r'

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not that great at latex, so I do not want to retype my whole solution, but I did get A being proportional to [tex] \frac{1}{z} [/tex]. However, I expected it to be proportional to [tex] \frac{1}{z^2} [/tex]. Which, if either, would be correct? Also, wouldn't the current density need a delta function? The reason I am wondering is my units do not work if I do not include one, which is why I suspect I am not getting A to be proportional to [tex] 1/z^2 [/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am happy to help you with your problem. After reviewing your solution, I believe there are a few errors that may be affecting your results.

Firstly, the equation you have for the vector potential is incorrect. It should be:

A(r',t)=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int\frac{J(r',t_R)}{|r-r'|}d^3r'

Note that the integration is over the source current density, not the position vector.

Secondly, the current density, J(r',t), does indeed need a delta function. The correct form for the current density is:

J(r',t)=\frac{wQ}{4\pi r'}\delta(r'-(R_0-\Delta{R}\cos(wt)))

This takes into account the uniform charge distribution in the oscillating sphere.

Finally, to address your question about the proportionality of the vector potential to 1/z or 1/z^2, I would suggest checking your integration. When integrating in the order of \phi, \theta, r', the result should be proportional to 1/z. This can also be confirmed by considering the far-field approximation for the vector potential:

A(r',t) \approx \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{1}{z}\int J(r',t_R) d^3r'

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and leads you to the correct solution. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Good luck with your research!

1. What is an oscillating electric monopole?

An oscillating electric monopole is a hypothetical concept in electromagnetism where a single electric charge is moving back and forth in a periodic motion.

2. Why does an oscillating electric monopole not radiate?

According to Maxwell's equations, the emission of electromagnetic radiation is caused by acceleration of charges. Since an oscillating electric monopole does not accelerate, it does not radiate.

3. How does this relate to the conservation of energy?

The non-radiating behavior of an oscillating electric monopole is consistent with the law of conservation of energy. Since no energy is being radiated away, the energy of the system remains constant.

4. Is this concept applicable in real-world situations?

No, an oscillating electric monopole is a theoretical concept and does not exist in nature. In real-world situations, charges are never truly isolated and are always surrounded by other charges, making it impossible for a monopole to exist.

5. Are there any practical applications of this concept?

While the concept of an oscillating electric monopole is not applicable in real-world situations, the understanding of its behavior can aid in the development of technologies such as antennas and wireless communication devices that rely on the emission and reception of electromagnetic radiation.