wave equation.
1701166281822.png

Looks pretty straightforward, i approached it as follows,

##f_x = u(x+cy) + v(x-cy)##

##f_{xx}=u(x+cy) + v(x-cy)##

##f_y= cu(x+cy) -cv(x-cy)##

##f_{yy}=c^2u(x+cy)+c^2v(x-cy)##

Therefore,

##f_{xx} -\dfrac{1}{c^2} f_{yy} = u(x+cy) + v(x-cy) - \dfrac{1}{c^2}⋅ c^2 \left[u(x+cy)+v(x-cy) \right]##

##f_{xx} -\dfrac{1}{c^2} f_{yy} = u(x+cy) + v(x-cy) - u(x+cy) - v(x-cy) =0##

thus shown.

Unless there is a different way to look at it...cheers.

Amendment in post ##5##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks ok, but as always you can of course also look at it in a different way. 😉

Consider the wave front coordinates:
$$
\xi = x - vt,\qquad \eta = x + vt
$$
and use the chain rule to rewrite the wave equation in terms of those coordinates. The resulting PDE is very straightforward to integrate.

Likes chwala
chwala said:

Shouldn't the derivatives of ##u## and ##v## appear somewhere in that equation?

Likes chwala and Steve4Physics
chwala said:
Homework Statement: See attached.
Relevant Equations: wave equation.

View attachment 336265

Are you sure the above is correct? It seems you are saying that ##f = f_x## (as both would be equal to ##u(x+cy) + v(x-cy)##.

Note that ##u## and ##v## can be any twice differntiable functions of a single variable. For example ##u(z) = z^2## and ##v(z)=z^3##. These would give ##f(x,y) = (x+cy)^2 + (x-cy)^3##.

It should be clear that ##f_x## and ##f## would then be different functions of ##x## and ##y##.

Likes chwala
PeroK said:
I see...i ought to make use of chain rule differentiation ...let me amend and repost. A minute.

...should be,

##f_x = u^{'}(x+cy) + v^{'}(x-cy)##

##f_{xx}=u^{''}(x+cy) + v^{''}(x-cy)##

##f_y= cu^{'}(x+cy) -cv^{'}(x-cy)##

##f_{yy}=c^2u^{''}(x+cy)+c^2v^{''}(x-cy)##

Therefore,

##f_{xx} -\dfrac{1}{c^2} f_{yy} = u^{''}(x+cy) + v^{''}(x-cy) - \dfrac{1}{c^2}⋅ c^2 \left[u^{''}(x+cy)+v^{''}(x-cy) \right]##

##f_{xx} -\dfrac{1}{c^2} f_{yy} = u^{''}(x+cy) + v^{''}(x-cy) - u^{''}(x+cy) - v^{''}(x-cy) =0##

PeroK said:
😂
I guess I am so used to this argument that my mind added the derivatives by itself …

Likes chwala
chwala said:
...should be,

##f_x = u^{'}(x+cy) + v^{'}(x-cy)##

##f_{xx}=u^{''}(x+cy) + v^{''}(x-cy)##

##f_y= cu^{'}(x+cy) -cv^{'}(x-cy)##

##f_{yy}=c^2u^{''}(x+cy)+c^2v^{''}(x-cy)##

Therefore,

##f_{xx} -\dfrac{1}{c^2} f_{yy} = u^{''}(x+cy) + v^{''}(x-cy) - \dfrac{1}{c^2}⋅ c^2 \left[u^{''}(x+cy)+v^{''}(x-cy) \right]##

##f_{xx} -\dfrac{1}{c^2} f_{yy} = u^{''}(x+cy) + v^{''}(x-cy) - u^{''}(x+cy) - v^{''}(x-cy) =0##

Edit: My reply was b*ll*cks so I've struck it through.

Be careful because your notation is ambiguous.

For example, does ##u^{’}## mean ##\frac {\partial u}{\partial x}## or ##\frac {\partial u}{\partial y}##? You have used ##u^{’}## to mean both! Similarly for ##u^{''}##.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
Steve4Physics said:
Be careful because your notation is ambiguous.

For example, does ##u^{’}## mean ##\frac {\partial u}{\partial x}## or ##\frac {\partial u}{\partial y}##? You have used ##u^{’}## to mean both! Similarly for ##u^{''}##.
Neither, it means ##u'##. The function ##u## is a function of one parameter only and the derivative is with respect to that parameter. There is nothing ambiguous about this notation. That you then put a composite function as the argument is another issue.

Likes chwala and Steve4Physics
Orodruin said:
Neither, it means ##u'##. The function ##u## is a function of one parameter only and the derivative is with respect to that parameter. There is nothing ambiguous about this notation. That you then put a composite function as the argument is another issue.
Aagh. Yes, I was being daft.

Orodruin said:
Looks ok, but as always you can of course also look at it in a different way. 😉

Consider the wave front coordinates:
$$
\xi = x - vt,\qquad \eta = x + vt
$$
and use the chain rule to rewrite the wave equation in terms of those coordinates. The resulting PDE is very straightforward to integrate.
I will look at this and get back. Looks like characteristic equation ...

1. How do you show that ##f(x,y)=u(x+cy)+v(x-cy)## is a solution of the given PDE?

To show that ##f(x,y)=u(x+cy)+v(x-cy)## is a solution of the given PDE, we need to substitute ##f(x,y)## into the partial differential equation and verify that it satisfies the equation. This involves taking partial derivatives of ##f(x,y)## with respect to ##x## and ##y##, and plugging them into the PDE to see if it holds true.

2. What steps are involved in proving that ##f(x,y)=u(x+cy)+v(x-cy)## is a solution of the given PDE?

The steps involved in proving that ##f(x,y)=u(x+cy)+v(x-cy)## is a solution of the given PDE include substituting ##f(x,y)## into the PDE, calculating the partial derivatives of ##f(x,y)## with respect to ##x## and ##y##, and then verifying that the resulting expression satisfies the PDE. This process ensures that the function ##f(x,y)## indeed satisfies the given partial differential equation.

3. Why is ##f(x,y)=u(x+cy)+v(x-cy)## considered a solution to the given PDE?

The function ##f(x,y)=u(x+cy)+v(x-cy)## is considered a solution to the given PDE because when it is substituted into the partial differential equation, the resulting expression simplifies to a true statement. This means that the function satisfies the PDE and can be considered a valid solution to the equation.

4. Can you explain the concept of using ##f(x,y)=u(x+cy)+v(x-cy)## as a solution to a PDE in simpler terms?

Using ##f(x,y)=u(x+cy)+v(x-cy)## as a solution to a PDE involves expressing the function in terms of its components ##u(x+cy)## and ##v(x-cy)##, where ##u## and ##v## are arbitrary functions of their respective arguments. By substituting this form of ##f(x,y)## into the PDE and confirming that it satisfies the equation, we can show that it is a valid solution to the given partial differential equation.

5. Are there any alternative methods to demonstrate that ##f(x,y)=u(x+cy)+v(x-cy)## is a solution of the provided PDE?

While the most common method to demonstrate that ##f(x,y)=u(x+cy)+v(x-cy)## is a solution of the