Show that g is continuous part 2

• Thread starter ares25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, continuity of a function refers to the absence of abrupt changes or breaks in its graph, allowing it to be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper. To prove a function is continuous, the limit at a given point must be equal to the value of the function at that point. Continuity is important in mathematics as it allows for generalizations and predictions about a function, and helps understand its behavior. A function can be continuous at one point and discontinuous at another, known as a removable discontinuity. Continuity and differentiability are closely related, with a function needing to be continuous to be differentiable at a given point.
ares25
Let f1,...,fN be continuous functions on interval [a,b]. Let g:[a,b] -> R be the function give by
g(x) = max{ f1(x),..., fN(x)}.

show that g is a continuous function

i posted this earlier with one proof, I am trying another more general

let ε >0 and arbitrary k. if f1(x) >...> fN(x) then since f1(x) - fN(x) is continuous, there is δ1 > 0 so that on |x-k| < δ1. we have that |f1(x) - fN(x)| > |f1(k) - fN(k)|/2

in particular then, for |x-k| <δ1 we have that max(f1(x),...,fN(x) = f(x). then there is δ2 > 0 so that for |x-k| < δ2 we have |f1(x)-f1(k)| <ε. now for |x-k| , δ = min(δ1, δ2) we have |max(f1(x),...,fN(x)) - max(f1(k),...,fN(k))| = |f1(x)-f1(k)| < ε.
The case of fN(k) >...>f1(k) is the same.

if f1(k) = fN(k) then there is δ1 >0 so that for |x-k| <δ1. |f1(x)-f1(k)| < ε and there is δ2 so that for |x-k| < δ2 we have |fN(x)-fN(k)|< ε. then for |x-k| < δ= min(δ1,δ2) we have
|max(f1(x),...,fN(x)) - max(f1(k),...,fN(k)| < ε.

since the above is either |f1(x)-f1(k)| or |fN(x)-fN(k)|.

by g(x) = max{f1(x),..., fN(x), then g(x) is also continuous

is this too general of a proof that is misses a lot in between?

Physics news on Phys.org
ares25 said:
Let f1,...,fN be continuous functions on interval [a,b]. Let g:[a,b] -> R be the function give by
g(x) = max{ f1(x),..., fN(x)}.show that g is a continuous function

i posted this earlier with one proof, I am trying another more general

let ε >0 and arbitrary k. if f1(x) >...> fN(x) then since f1(x) - fN(x) is continuous, there is δ1 > 0 so that on |x-k| < δ1. we have that |f1(x) - fN(x)| > |f1(k) - fN(k)|/2
You need to be more careful about your strict inequalities. It may be that ##f_1(x) = f_2(x) = \ldots = f_N(x)##, so your strict sequence of inequalities may not exist, even if you reorder the indexes.

Also, how does the ##x## in your ##f_1(x) > f_2(x) > \ldots > f_N(x)## relate to the ##x## in the rest of the sentence? I assume you recognize that for different values of ##x##, the ordering may be different. For example, if ##f_j(x) = jx## for each ##j \in \{1, \ldots, N\}##, then for ##x > 0## we have ##f_N(x) > f_{N-1}(x) > \ldots > f_1(x)##, whereas for ##x < 0## the inequalities are reversed.

Im going to restructure for base step: some f(x) and g(x) that are continuous, then max(f(x),g(x)) is also continuous. use the proof above to prove that. switch out f1 for f(x) and fN for g(x). then say that from the base step f(x),g(x) we can have max f1,f2 is continuous then fi,fi+1 is also continuous up till N. so that we may may have max of each pairs up till N. since g(x) is the max of all pairs with each pair being continuous (by repetition of all max) g(x) is also continuous. Its rough but I hope I'm on the right process. Thanks again.

ares25 said:
Im going to restructure for base step: some f(x) and g(x) that are continuous, then max(f(x),g(x)) is also continuous. use the proof above to prove that. switch out f1 for f(x) and fN for g(x). then say that from the base step f(x),g(x) we can have max f1,f2 is continuous then fi,fi+1 is also continuous up till N. so that we may may have max of each pairs up till N. since g(x) is the max of all pairs with each pair being continuous (by repetition of all max) g(x) is also continuous. Its rough but I hope I'm on the right process. Thanks again.
OK, if you post the details here after you finish the proof, I'll be happy to check it out.

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

Continuity of a function means that there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph of the function. It means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

2. How do you prove that a function is continuous?

To prove that a function is continuous, we need to show that the limit of the function at a given point is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done by using the definition of continuity and evaluating the left and right limits at the point.

3. What is the importance of continuity in mathematics?

Continuity is important in mathematics because it allows us to make generalizations and predictions about a function. It also helps us to understand the behavior of a function and its graph.

4. Can a function be continuous at one point and discontinuous at another?

Yes, a function can be continuous at one point and discontinuous at another. This is known as a removable discontinuity and occurs when the function has a hole or missing point at that specific point.

5. How does continuity relate to differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are closely related concepts. A function is differentiable at a point if it is continuous at that point and has a well-defined derivative. This means that a function must be continuous in order to be differentiable at a given point.