Show that this is not a Sturm-Liouville problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary: Nod)Yeah. That looks like a regular typo.Apparently the ODE should use $y$, while $u$ and $v$ are supposed to be 2 specific solutions for it.Wiki gives a slightly different definition for a Sturm-Liouville problem, which boils down to the same thing.Wiki does not mention the Wronskian, but it does refer to a regular S-L problem.It might make sense to verify if your problem is a regular S-L problem, but I'm merely guessing... (Nod)Okay, thank you so much for your help! I will look into it and verify if it is a regular S-L problem. (Smile)In summary, the conversation discusses an eigenvalue
To clarify something.. To show that the set of the eigenfunctions is not complete, by showing that not each function can be written as a linear combination of the eigenfunctions ( without using the sentence of square-integrable functions), do I have to show that a function cannot be written as:
$$f(x)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c_n \sin{(2 n \pi x)}}$$
or
$$f(x)= Cx+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c_n \sin{(2 n \pi x)}}$$
?? (Wondering)

I mean that although the function $y(x)=x$ and $y_n(x)=\sin{(2 n \pi x)}$ are not orthogonal, do I have to use both of them to show that the set of the eigenfunctions is not complete? Or do I have to use just the orthogonal ones?

Physics news on Phys.org
It means that the integral of the square of the absolute value of the function is finite, right?

Yes.
It's a little more specific though.
This will be required to properly define an inner product.

In your case, I guess the inner product is:
$$(v,u) = \int_0^1 v^*(x)u(x) dx$$
This inner product is only properly defined for functions that are square integrable on the domain.
That is why the functions have to be square integrable.
And then we can talk about a basis of functions and whether that basis is orthogonal and/or complete.
The execrise is:"...show that the eigenfunctions are orthogonal, but the eigenfunctions do not form a complete set". Since the eigenfunction $x$ is not orthogonal with the eigenfunctions $\sin{(2 n \pi x)}$, do I have to show maybe only that the set $\{ \sin{(2 n \pi x)} \}$ is not complete, as I did the post #22?

mathmari said:
To clarify something.. To show that the set of the eigenfunctions is not complete, by showing that not each function can be written as a linear combination of the eigenfunctions ( without using the sentence of square-integrable functions), do I have to show that a function cannot be written as:
$$f(x)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c_n \sin{(2 n \pi x)}}$$
or
$$f(x)= Cx+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c_n \sin{(2 n \pi x)}}$$
?? (Wondering)

I mean that although the function $y(x)=x$ and $y_n(x)=\sin{(2 n \pi x)}$ are not orthogonal, do I have to use both of them to show that the set of the eigenfunctions is not complete? Or do I have to use just the orthogonal ones?

As you have noticed, the phrasing of the exercise seems to be off.
We already found that the eigenfunctions are not orthogonal.
And if they were, it would actually be a (regular?) Sturm-Liouville problem.

So we're in the guessing arena here, which is very un-mathematical.

Can you perhaps ask your professor for clarification?

I like Serena said:
Since $n$ is an integer they are indeed real.
That should be, according to your definition of the inner product (formally):
$$(y_m,y_n)=\int_0^1{y_m^* y_n}dx=\int_0^1{y_m y_n}dx$$

What is $\sin(2 \pi k )$ if $k$ is an integer?

Does it stand that
$$\int_0^1{y_m^* y_n}dx=\int_0^1{y_m y_n}dx$$
because the eigenfunctions $y_m$ are real?? (Wondering)
mathmari said:
Let $f(x)=\cos{(2 \pi x)}-1$, $f(0)=0, f'(0)=f'(1)$.

$$\cos{(2 \pi x)}-1= \sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}{c_n \sin{(2 n \pi x)}}$$

$$c_n= \frac{2}{1} \int_0^{1}{[ \cos{(2 \pi x)}-1] \sin{({2 n \pi x})}}dx= \dots =0 $$

To calculate the coefficients $c_n$ with the Fourier series, do we have to expand the function $f$ in an odd way?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Does it stand that
$$\int_0^1{y_m^* y_n}dx=\int_0^1{y_m y_n}dx$$
because the eigenfunctions $y_m$ are real?? (Wondering)

Yep! (Mmm)
To calculate the coefficients $c_n$ with the Fourier series, do we have to expand the function $f$ in an odd way?? (Wondering)

But... but... $f$ is not odd but even.
So there is no sine expansion, since a sine expansion is always odd. (Sweating)

I like Serena said:
But... but... $f$ is not odd but even.
So there is no sine expansion, since a sine expansion is always odd. (Sweating)

How can I find then the coefficients using the Fourier series?? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Yep! (Mmm)
How can we be sure that $\sin{(2 n \pi x)}$ is real?? Can it not be also complex?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
How can I find then the coefficients using the Fourier series?? (Wondering)

The Fourier expansion of some $f(x)$ is:
$$f(x)=A_0 + \sum A_k \cos(2\pi k x) + \sum B_k \sin(2\pi k x)$$
This expansion is unique.

The function:
$$\cos(2\pi x) - 1$$
is already in this form - this is the Fourier expansion!
Trying to find a coefficient for some $\sin(2\pi n x)$ can only result in zero. (Wasntme)

mathmari said:
How can we be sure that $\sin{(2 n \pi x)}$ is real?? Can it not be also complex?? (Wondering)

This thread is a bit long... I've lost the reference to $x$. Can it be imaginary? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
The Fourier expansion of some $f(x)$ is:
$$f(x)=A_0 + \sum A_k \cos(2\pi k x) + \sum B_k \sin(2\pi k x)$$
This expansion is unique.

The function:
$$\cos(2\pi x) - 1$$
is already in this form - this is the Fourier expansion!
Trying to find a coefficient for some $\sin(2\pi n x)$ can only result in zero. (Wasntme)

We can write the function $\cos(2\pi x) - 1$ as a sum of the eigenfunctions,
$$\cos(2\pi x) - 1=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}c_n \sin{(\frac{n \pi x}{L})}$$

The Fourier series of the function is:
$$\cos(2\pi x) - 1=\frac{a_0}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n \cos(\frac{2 n \pi x}{L}) + \sum b_n \sin(\frac{2 n \pi x}{L})$$

Do we have now to compare the coefficients of these two series to calculate $c_n$?? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
This thread is a bit long... I've lost the reference to $x$. Can it be imaginary? (Thinking)

At the probem $y''+\lambda y=0$, $$0 \leq x \leq L$$ How can I know if it can be also imaginary?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
We can write the function $\cos(2\pi x) - 1$ as a sum of the eigenfunctions,
$$\cos(2\pi x) - 1=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}c_n \sin{(\frac{n \pi x}{L})}$$

The Fourier series of the function is:
$$\cos(2\pi x) - 1=\frac{a_0}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n \cos(\frac{2 n \pi x}{L}) + \sum b_n \sin(\frac{2 n \pi x}{L})$$

Do we have now to compare the coefficients of these two series to calculate $c_n$?? (Wondering)

Yes. That would work. (Mmm)
At the probem $y''+\lambda y=0$, $$0 \leq x \leq L$$ How can I know if it can be also imaginary?? (Wondering)

The expression $0 \leq x \leq L$ implies that $x$ is not imaginary, because $\le$ is not defined for imaginary numbers.
Therefore $x$ is a real number. (Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
Yes. That would work. (Mmm)

But how can I compare these two series since at the one there is $(\frac{2 n \pi x}{L})$ at the $\sin$ and at the other series there is $(\frac{ n \pi x}{L})$ ? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
The expression $0 \leq x \leq L$ implies that $x$ is not imaginary, because $\le$ is not defined for imaginary numbers.
Therefore $x$ is a real number. (Wasntme)

Ahaa! Ok! I got it! (Mmm) (Yes)

mathmari said:
But how can I compare these two series since at the one there is $(\frac{2 n \pi x}{L})$ at the $\sin$ and at the other series there is $(\frac{ n \pi x}{L})$ ? (Wondering)

Which series do you get if you write out, say, the first 3 terms of each summation? (Thinking)
Ahaa! Ok! I got it! (Mmm) (Yes)

Good! (Mmm)