Show the functions are eigenfunctions of the hamiltonian

In summary, we can use the relation b^{+}\Psi_{n}=\sqrt{n+1}\Psi_{n+1} to rewrite the Hamiltonian as H=ℏω(n+\frac{1}{2})\Psi_{n}, which allows us to see that b\Psi_{n}=\sqrt{n}\Psi_{n-1} and b^{+}\Psi_{n}=\sqrt{n+1}\Psi_{n+1} are eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian. This is a useful substitution that helps us solve the problem.
rmjmu507
Given the hamiltonian in this form: H=[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex]([itex]b^{+}[/itex]b+.5)

b[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex]
[itex]b^{+}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{n+1}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n+1}[/itex]

Attempt:

H[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex]([itex]b^{+}[/itex]b+.5)[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]

I get to

H[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex][itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex]([itex]b^{+}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex]+.5[itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex])

But now I'm stuck. Where can I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not correct, you have to split the Hamiltonian as it should be split:

[tex] H = \hbar\omega b^{\dagger}b + \frac{1}{2}\hbar\omega \hat{1} [/tex]

then act on an arbitrary vector.

I still end up with a similar problem though...I will have the raising operator acting on [itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex]

H= ℏω[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex]([itex]b^{+}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex])+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ℏω[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]

Excelent. You need to do a trick on the relation given, namely realize that the <n> can be replaced by other values. Which substitution is useful ?

P.S. Always post your HW questions here, in this forum.

Can I say that if [itex]b^{+}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{n+1}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n+1}[/itex] then [itex]b^{+}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]

which would allow me to write the Hamiltonian as

H=ℏω(n+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex])[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]

and because ℏω(n+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]) is just a number, then

b[itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n-1}[/itex] and
[itex]b^{+}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{n+1}[/itex][itex]\Psi_{n+1}[/itex]

are eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian?

Related to Show the functions are eigenfunctions of the hamiltonian

What is the Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

The Hamiltonian is an operator in quantum mechanics that represents the total energy of a system. It is used to describe the dynamics and behavior of particles within a system.

What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a special type of function in quantum mechanics that, when acted upon by an operator, yields a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the function remains unchanged except for a scaling factor.

Why is it important to show that a function is an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian?

It is important to show that a function is an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian because it allows us to calculate the energy of a system and understand its behavior. Eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian represent the allowed energy states of a system.

How is the Hamiltonian related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Hamiltonian is a key component of the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. The Schrödinger equation describes the time evolution of a quantum system, and the Hamiltonian is used to calculate the energy of the system at a specific time.

Can a function be an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian for all values of energy?

No, not all functions can be eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian. Only certain functions that satisfy certain mathematical conditions, such as being square-integrable, can be eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian. These functions represent the allowed energy states of a system.