Spin-##\frac{1}{2}## particles in infinite square well

In summary: The energy of the spinless states is just$$E = k(n_1^2+n_2^2) , k = \frac{\hbar^2 \pi^2}{2 m a^2}$$As no details are given, I would assume that spin-spin interactions are to be neglected. And there is no external field. Therefore, I would take the energy to be only the infinite-square-well energy.
Alex145

Homework Statement

Construct the four lowest-energy configurations for particles of spin-##\frac{1}{2}## in the infinite square well, and specify their energies and their degeneracies. Suggestion: use the notation ##\psi_{n_1,n_2}(x_1, x_2) |s,m>##. The notation is defined in the textbook.

Homework Equations

$$\psi_{n_1, n_2}(x_1, x_2) = \psi_{n_1}(x_1)\psi_{n_2}(x_2)$$
$$\psi_{n_1, n_2}(x_1, x_2) = \frac{1}{A}(\psi_{n_1}(x_1)\psi_{n_2}(x_2) + \psi_{n_1}(x_2)\psi_{n_2}(x_1))$$
$$\psi_{n_1, n_2}(x_1, x_2) = \frac{1}{A}(\psi_{n_1}(x_1)\psi_{n_2}(x_2) - \psi_{n_1}(x_2)\psi_{n_2}(x_1))$$
$$\psi_n(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a})$$
$$E = (n_1^2+n_2^2)k$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Ground State:
The position wave function can be symmetric so as to produce the lowest energy (E = 2k). Since the particles are fermions they must then be in anti-symmetric spin states. I imagine then that I would take the second equation in the relevant equations. However, the textbook is very explicit in saying that it is reserved for identical bosons only. In the textbook they ignore spin all together in related questions, so it is a bit confusing. My question is if I am allowed to use the mentioned equation when I take spin into account? I would then have

$$\psi_{1, 1}(x_1, x_2)|0, 0> = \frac{1}{A}(\frac{4}{a}sin(\frac{\pi x_1}{a})sin(\frac{\pi x_2}{a}))|0,0>$$

Where A = 2 as determined in the text when the two wave functions are equal.

After I am confident in my answer for the ground state I imagine I would then use anti-symmetric position states and symmetric spin states for the second energy level and switching back for the third.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The total wave function must have a definite symmetry. For fermions, you can thus have a symmetric spatial wf with an anti-symmetric spin state, or an anti-symmetric spatial wf with a symmetric spin state.

Likes Alex145
DrClaude said:
The total wave function must have a definite symmetry. For fermions, you can thus have a symmetric spatial wf with an anti-symmetric spin state, or an anti-symmetric spatial wf with a symmetric spin state.
Thats what I thought. So what I did above is reasonable for the ground state?

Alex145 said:
Thats what I thought. So what I did above is reasonable for the ground state?
Apart from the normalisation factor, which is a bit strange, the approach is correct.

Likes Alex145
DrClaude said:
Apart from the normalisation factor, which is a bit strange, the approach is correct.
Thank you very much, I'll have a look into the normalization. The spin part of the wave function also has a factor of ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}## so overall it will be reduced by that factor regardless.

Alex145 said:
The spin part of the wave function also has a factor of ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##
Are you sure about that?

Well for two spin-##\frac{1}{2}## particles they can have total spin states, using the notation of the text

$$|1,1> =( \uparrow \uparrow)$$
$$|1,0> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\uparrow \downarrow+\downarrow \uparrow)$$
$$|1,-1> = (\downarrow \downarrow)$$
$$|0,0> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\uparrow \downarrow-\downarrow \uparrow)$$

Where ##(\uparrow) = |\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}>## and ##(\downarrow) = |\frac{1}{2},\frac{-1}{2}>## for single particles

For the ground state, since I am confining the spatial wave functions to be symmetric, I have to choose the last spin state since it's the only one that is anti-symmetric. Unless I am missing something, it carries the factor ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##. The overall wavefunction for the ground state is then

$$\psi_{1,1}(x_1, x_2) = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{a}sin(\frac{\pi x_1}{a})sin(\frac{\pi x_2}{a})(\uparrow \downarrow-\downarrow \uparrow)$$

Which I think is normalized as well.

Last edited:
Ok. I thought you meant to add a ##1/\sqrt{2}## in front of ##| 0,0\rangle##.

DrClaude said:
Ok. I thought you meant to add a ##1/\sqrt{2}## in front of ##| 0,0\rangle##.

Sorry for the confusion. I figured out the overall states. Does including spin affect the total energy of the states? I previously assumed it wouldn't but am now unsure and I can't find anything on that. In the text the energy of the spinless states is just

$$E = k(n_1^2+n_2^2) , k = \frac{\hbar^2 \pi^2}{2 m a^2} $$

Last edited:
As no details are given, I would assume that spin-spin interactions are to be neglected. And there is no external field. Therefore, I would take the energy to be only the infinite-square-well energy.

What is a "spin-##\frac{1}{2}##" particle?

A "spin-##\frac{1}{2}##" particle refers to a type of subatomic particle, such as an electron or proton, that has a spin quantum number of ##\frac{1}{2}##. This means that the particle has an intrinsic angular momentum, or "spin", of half of the reduced Planck's constant.

What is an infinite square well?

An infinite square well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional box with infinitely high potential walls. This model is often used to study the behavior of particles in a confined space, such as an atom or a molecule.

What is the significance of spin-##\frac{1}{2}## particles in an infinite square well?

Spin-##\frac{1}{2}## particles in an infinite square well have specific energy levels and wave functions that are determined by their spin quantum number. This allows for the study of how spin affects the behavior of particles in a confined space, and has applications in fields such as quantum computing and materials science.

What is the Schrödinger equation for a spin-##\frac{1}{2}## particle in an infinite square well?

The Schrödinger equation for a spin-##\frac{1}{2}## particle in an infinite square well is a modified version of the standard Schrödinger equation, taking into account the spin of the particle. It includes additional terms for the spin operator and the spin magnetic moment, and can be solved to determine the energy levels and wave functions of the particle in the well.

How does the spin of a particle affect its behavior in an infinite square well?

The spin of a particle affects its behavior in an infinite square well by determining its energy levels and wave functions. It also plays a role in determining the probability of the particle occupying certain regions within the well. Additionally, the spin of a particle can interact with other particles or external fields in the well, leading to various interesting phenomena such as spin precession and spin-orbit coupling.