Show there exists a SUBSEQUENCE converging to L

In summary, the problem is to construct a subsequence (xnk) that converges to L. The given information states that for each k, there is a subsequence of (xn) denoted as (xni) that converges to Lk. To properly label this subsequence, indices nki can be used. The goal is to use these indices to choose a strictly increasing sequence (m_j) that converges to L. Notation is flexible and can be defined as needed.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

ra9.JPG

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually I read over this question for about 10 times already. But, I am not sure how to start. I know that I have to construct a subsequence one term at a time and show that it converges to L. But all the different subscripts and indices are just driving me crazy. So our target subsequence (the one that we need to construct at the end) is denoted as (xnk).
We are given that "For each k≥1, there is a subsequence of (xn) converging to Lk...". How should I denote this subsequence, then? I was thinking of (xni), but I think this would be the same as our target subsequence (xnk) becuase the i and k are just dummy variables. Also, it is "for EACH k≥1...", so this subsequence also has some dependence on k, so I think k should appear as part of the subscript as well? How should I label this subsequence properly?
So I am stuck even at the level of translating the question into mathematical symbols and summarizing what is given. Can someone please show me how?

I hope someone can help me out.
Thank you!

[note: also under discussion in Math Links forum]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Notation is yours to define as you see fit. In particular, you're not required to conform to the notation in the hint if it confuses you.

Start by giving names to the indices of the subsequences of [tex](x_n)[/tex] converging to each [tex]L_k[/tex]; you might call these indices [tex]n_{k,j}[/tex], so that for each [tex]k[/tex], [tex](n_{k,j})_{j=1}^\infty[/tex] is a strictly increasing sequence of natural numbers such that [tex](x_{n_{k,j}})_{j=1}^\infty[/tex] converges to [tex]L_k[/tex]. Your task is now to use these [tex]n_{k,j}[/tex] to choose a strictly increasing sequence [tex](m_j)_{j=1}^\infty[/tex] such that [tex](x_{m_j})_{j=1}^\infty[/tex] converges to [tex]L[/tex].

ystael said:
Notation is yours to define as you see fit. In particular, you're not required to conform to the notation in the hint if it confuses you.

Start by giving names to the indices of the subsequences of [tex](x_n)[/tex] converging to each [tex]L_k[/tex]; you might call these indices [tex]n_{k,j}[/tex], so that for each [tex]k[/tex], [tex](n_{k,j})_{j=1}^\infty[/tex] is a strictly increasing sequence of natural numbers such that [tex](x_{n_{k,j}})_{j=1}^\infty[/tex] converges to [tex]L_k[/tex]. Your task is now to use these [tex]n_{k,j}[/tex] to choose a strictly increasing sequence [tex](m_j)_{j=1}^\infty[/tex] such that [tex](x_{m_j})_{j=1}^\infty[/tex] converges to [tex]L[/tex].
Sorry, I'm confused...

1) But if you write (xnkj), it would mean that it is a (further) subsequence of (xnk), right? But (xnk) is our target subsequence, and I don't think there is such a connection...

2) Why are you using "m" in xmj (target subsequence)?
Also, shouldn't there be some dependecy on k? (as the hint suggested?)

Maybe someone can clarify this, please? What is the usual (and correct) way to denote the DIFFERENT subsequences of (xn)?

Thanks a lot!

1. How do you define a subsequence?

A subsequence is a sequence that is formed by taking some elements from the original sequence, while maintaining their relative order.

2. What does it mean for a subsequence to converge to a limit L?

It means that as the subsequence gets longer and longer, its terms get closer and closer to the limit L.

3. Can you give an example of a subsequence that converges to a certain limit?

Yes, for example, the sequence 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ... has a subsequence 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ... which converges to 0 as the subsequence gets longer.

4. How do you prove that a subsequence converges to a certain limit L?

To prove that a subsequence converges to a limit L, you need to show that for any positive number ɛ, there exists a term in the subsequence that is within ɛ distance from L. This can be done using the definition of convergence and the properties of the original sequence.

5. Are there any conditions for a subsequence to converge to a limit?

Yes, the original sequence must be a convergent sequence in order for its subsequences to converge to the same limit. Additionally, the limit must be unique for the subsequence to converge.