Showing existence of an Edge s.t. Graphs T1' , T2' are Trees

In summary: T_2##.In summary, Attempt is stuck at this problem for hours, couldn't make any progress. Still, here's what he's done: He's removed an edge from a tree, then tried to show that there exists an edge between the two trees. However, he's having difficulty seeing how this simple path could be used to show that there exists an edge between the two trees.
CGandC
Homework Statement
Let ## G ## be a connected graph, simple and finite. Let ## T_1 = \langle V,E_1 \rangle ,\ T_2 = \langle V,E_2\rangle ## be trees s.t. ## E_1, E_2 \subseteq E ##. Show that for every edge ## e_1 \in E_1 \setminus E_2 ## there exists an edge ## e_2 \in E_2 \setminus E_1 ## s.t.
## T_1' = \langle V,(E_1\setminus \{ e_1 \}) \cup \{ e_2 \} \rangle ~~~~~## , ## T_2' = \langle V,(E_2\setminus \{ e_2 \}) \cup \{ e_1 \} \rangle ~~~~##, are both trees.
Relevant Equations
Knowing definitions in graph theory: Trees, Simple circuits, Simple path, circuits, paths.
Attempt - I am stuck at this problem for hours, couldn't make any progress. Still, here's what I've done :
Let ## e_1 \in E_1 \setminus E_2 ## be arbitrary. Suppose for the sake of contradiction that ## \forall ## ## e_2 \in E_2 \setminus E_1 ##, ## T_1' = \langle V,(E_1\setminus \{ e_1 \}) \cup \{ e_2 \} \rangle ~~~ ## OR ## ~~~~ T_2' = \langle V,(E_2\setminus \{ e_2 \}) \cup \{ e_1 \} \rangle ## aren't trees.
Let ## e_2 \in E_2 \setminus E_1 ## be arbitrary, then ## T_1' = \langle V,(E_1\setminus \{ e_1 \}) \cup \{ e_2 \} \rangle ~~~ ## OR ## ~~~~ T_2' = \langle V,(E_2\setminus \{ e_2 \}) \cup \{ e_1 \} \rangle ## aren't trees. We'll show that ## T_1' ## is connected or has simple circuits and we'll also show that ## T_2' ## is connected or has simple circuits ( so that we'll reach contradiction for both ). [ From here I don't know what else to do ]

I feel lost. I think in my attempt I'm overcomplicating the proof and I'd very appreciate if you can please help me/give me a direction as to what I should do.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't fully though through the proof, but I think there are some simpler ideas that you can start with to at least get some intuition.

For example, if you take ##e_1## out of ##T_1##, then you split that tree into two disconnected trees. Claim: there must exist an edge in ##T_2## that joins these two groups together.

Let's say for intuition, ## T_1 ## looks like this:
1622054615289.png
where ## e_1 = \{ v ,u \} ##.
After taking the edge out of the graph we get two subtrees for ## T_1 ## which I denote ## T_1^{(a)} ## , ## T_1^{(b)} ##:
1622054703943.png

But I'm having difficulty seeing how ## T_2 ## plays a role here.

Does there have to be an edge in ##T_2## that connects a vertex in ##T_1^a## and ##T_1^b##? I think the answer is yes.

Ok, if ## e_1 = \{ u ,v \} \in E_1 \setminus E_2 ## note that ## u,v \in V##, In particular, these vertices exist in tree ## T_2 ##, hence there must exist a simple path between them in ## T_2 ##, meaning ## \langle u,w_1,...,w_k,v \rangle ## where ## w_1,...,w_k \in V ## .
But how can I use this simple path in order to show that there exist an edge ## \{ u, v \} \in E_2 ##?

The edge ##\{u,v\}## is not going to be in ##E_2##. There has to be some other edge in ##T_2## that spans the gap.

So I can look at the simple path ## \langle u,w_1,...,w_k,v \rangle ## from ## T_2 ##, take ## w_1,...,w_k ## and connect them to ## u,v ## in ## T_1 ## after the split, If I do this then I have necessarily bridged the gap that was split when I removed ## e_1 ## from ## T_1 ##. So although I may not have a single edge connecting ## u,v ## in ## T_1 ## again, I have a set of edges going from ## u ## to ## v ## in ## T_1 ##

Why are you connecting them to u and v? The only thing you are allowed to do is pick an edge from ##T_2##. So the edge you would add is going to be like, ##\{w_i, w_{i+1}\}## for some i.

Try actually drawing a ##T_2## and see if you can point at the right edge.

Yes you are right. Here's an example of what ## T_2 ## could look like
1622062359383.png

I'll pick edge ## { w_1,w_2} \in E_2 ## and add it to the gap after the split in ## T_1 ##, so ## T_1 ## would look like:
1622062914393.png

and we denote this new tree as ## T_1' ## , we do the same process to get ## T_2' ##

In your forest of ##T_1^a## and ##T_1^b## u and v both had degree one. You were then supposed to add an edge that did not connect u to v, so at least one of them should be a degree one vertex in ##T_1'##. Hence I think your picture can't be correct.

I'm not really sure how ##T_1## and ##T_2## are supposed to lay on top of each other, like which vertices in each graph match to which vertices on the other?

So ## T_1' ## ( after creating only one edge which leaves ## u ## with degree 1) should look like this?:
1622092602929.png

##w_1## there is a totally new vertex you just added to the picture. It has to be a vertex that already existed.

I think you should label every single vertex in the picture of ##T_1## and give the same labeling to the picture of ##T_2##. Then you can see where ##w_1## and ##w_2## actually are in the ##T_1## picture. You may or may not have picked the right edge, your picture so far is not sufficient to know if ##\{u,w_1\},\{w_1,w_2\}## or ##\{w_2,v\}## is the right edge.

Ok, I labeled the graphs:
1622134590812.png
1622134616326.png

I still don't fully see which edge I can take in ## T_2 ## that will connect me ## u,v ## After I split the edge between them in graph ## T_1 ##

When you remove ##u,v## from ##T_1##, to reconnect the trees you need to find an edge from the set ##(u,p_5,p_6)## to the set of the other vertices.

##p_5,p_2## would work. So would ##p_5,v##. So would ##u,w_2##. ##p_6,p_2## would also work.

The main point is that since ##T_2## is a tree, I claim there is at least one edge that connects these two groups of vertices.

Ok I think I got the intuition, here's an example of what ## T_1' ## could be based on the last two images above:
1622186182195.png

Maybe the proof should be something like:
Let ## e_1 \in E_1 \setminus E_2 ##. Meaning there exist ## u,v \in V ## s.t. ## e_1 = \{ u,v \} ##. since ## e_1 \notin E_2 ## and ## T_2 ## is a tree hence there exists a simple path ## \langle u,w_1,...,w_k,v \rangle## in ## T_2 ##. Remove ## e_1 ## from ## T_1 ##, we'll get two subtrees which we denote as ## T_1^{a} ##, ## T_1^{b} ## and the whole forest denote as ## T_1^{''} ##. Choose in ## \langle u,w_1,...,w_k,v \rangle ## a vertex that has no path to ## v ## or ## u ##. Suppose we chose a vertex that has no path to ## u ## and we denote it as ## \tilde{w} ##. We'll Choose an edge from ## \tilde{w} ## to another vertex that has a path to ## u ## that we denote as ## \tau ## s.t. ## \{ \tilde{w}, \tau \} \in E_2 ##. Create the edge in ## T_1^{''} ## , now ## T_1^{''} ## is not a forest but a tree since ## T_1^{a} , T_1^{b} ## are connected, denote this tree as ## T_1^{'} ##. We similarly prove existence of ## T_2^{'} ##, and so we're finished.

Is the proof above ok?, if not ,I don't really know how to prove the theorem that there must exist an edge in ## T_2 ## that will connect the two disconnected components in ## T_1^{''} ##. Do you have an Idea as to what I should do?

CGandC said:
Choose in ## \langle u,w_1,...,w_k,v \rangle ## a vertex that has no path to ## v ## or ## u ##. Suppose we chose a vertex that has no path to ## u ## and we denote it as ## \tilde{w} ##. We'll Choose an edge from ## \tilde{w} ## to another vertex that has a path to ## u ## that we denote as ## \tau ## s.t. ## \{ \tilde{w}, \tau \} \in E_2 ##.

I don't really understand what these are trying to say, but I would word it like this. The path ##\left<u,w_1,...,w_n,v\right>## in ##T_2## starts with a vertex in ##T_1^a## and ends with a vertex in ##T_1^b##. Hence it must have an edge that starts with a vertex in ##T_1^a## and ends with a vertex in ##T_1^b##, since every edge that starts in ##T_1^a## ends in either ##T_1^a## or ##T_1^b##, and if no edge starts in ##T_1^a## and ends in ##T_1^b##, then ##u\in T_1^a## implies ##w_1\in T_1^a##, which then implies ##w_2\in T_1^a##, all the way up to ##v\in T_1^a##. But ##v## is actually in ##T_1^b##.

Likes CGandC
Ok thanks, I think I have to think about the problem more in order for it to fully sink in.

For what it's worth, I think my last post finds the edge ##u,w_2##

1. How do you define a tree in graph theory?

A tree in graph theory is a connected graph with no cycles. This means that there is a path between any two vertices in the graph, and there are no repeated edges or vertices in this path. Additionally, a tree must have at least two vertices and no more than one edge between any two vertices.

2. What is the significance of showing the existence of an edge in trees T1' and T2'?

Showing the existence of an edge between two trees T1' and T2' is important because it helps to establish a relationship between the two trees. This edge can represent a connection or similarity between the two trees, and can also provide insights into the structure and properties of the trees.

3. How can you prove the existence of an edge between two trees in graph theory?

To prove the existence of an edge between two trees T1' and T2' in graph theory, you can use the definition of a tree and the properties of connected graphs. You can also use techniques such as induction or contradiction to show that there must be an edge between the two trees.

4. What are some applications of proving the existence of an edge between two trees in graph theory?

Proving the existence of an edge between two trees in graph theory can have various applications, such as in network design, data analysis, and computer science algorithms. It can also be useful in understanding and analyzing complex systems, such as biological or social networks.

5. What are some challenges in showing the existence of an edge between two trees in graph theory?

One of the main challenges in showing the existence of an edge between two trees in graph theory is identifying the correct approach or technique to use. Depending on the specific trees and their properties, different methods may be more effective. Another challenge can be in dealing with large or complex graphs, which may require more advanced techniques or tools.