Showing that the 0 matrix is the only one with rank = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if the rank of a matrix A is equal to 0, then A must be equal to the zero matrix. The conversation explores different definitions and theorems, such as the Rank-Nullity theorem, to show that A must map all vectors to the zero vector in order for its rank to be 0, thus making it the only matrix that satisfies this property.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that if rank(A) = 0, then A = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a very easy problem, but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

rank(A) = dim(Im(A)) = 0, so Im(A) = {0}. Thus, A is by definition the zero matrix.

My only concern is whether I can conclude from Im(A) = {0} that A is the zero matrix. That is, that there is no other matrix that satisfies this property.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that if rank(A) = 0, then A = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a very easy problem, but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

rank(A) = dim(Im(A)) = 0, so Im(A) = {0}. Thus, A is by definition the zero matrix.

My only concern is whether I can conclude from Im(A) = 0 that A is the zero matrix. That is, that there is no other matrix that satisfies this property.
What does ##\operatorname{Im}A = 0## mean?

fresh_42 said:
What does ##\operatorname{Im}A = 0## mean?
I meant to write something like ##\text{Im}(A)= \{\vec{0} \}##

Yes, of course, but what does it mean? What is the definition of ##\operatorname{Im} A=0##? Or ##= \{\vec{0}\}##, that isn't the point. Then compare it to what ##A=0## means.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, of course, but what does it mean? What is the definition of ##\operatorname{Im} A=0##? Or ##= \{\vec{0}\}##, that isn't the point. Then compare it to what ##A=0## means.
Well, that means that the matrix ##A## maps everything to ##\vec{0}##. So of course the matrix matrix satisfies this. I just don't really know how I would show that the zero matrix is the only matrix that satisfies this.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well, that means that the matrix ##A## maps everything to ##\vec{0}##. So of course the matrix matrix satisfies this. I just don't really know how I would show that the zero matrix is the only matrix that satisfies this.
##\operatorname{Im}A =0 \,\Longleftrightarrow\,A(v)=0 \,\forall\, v\in V \,\Longleftrightarrow\,A=0##
It's simply the definitions, i.e. it works in both directions.

Mr Davis 97 said:
You could find the columns of A by multiplying by the appropriate vector, e.g., (1,0,0,...,0), (0,1,0,...,0).

A corollary of Rank-nullity says that the rank of a matrix is the same as the order of the highest order nonzero minor in that matrix. Therefore, if a matrix has rank zero, it means that its every entry must be the zero element.

Alternatively, you could invoke the Rank-Nullity theorem. You could view the matrix ##A ## as a linear operator (there's another theorem that allows you to do this) ##A : U\to V ##.
The rank of ##A ## is then defined to be the dimension of the subspace ##A(U) =:\mbox{ran}A = \mbox{im}A##. R-N gives you
[tex]
\mbox{dim}(U) = \mbox{dim}(\mbox{ker}A ) + \mbox{dim}(\mbox{ran}A)
[/tex]
What is the only linear operator whose nullity is ##\mbox{dim}(U) ##? By nullity I mean the dimension of the kernel of ##A##.

Last edited:

What is the definition of rank in a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix.

Why is the 0 matrix the only one with rank = 0?

The 0 matrix is the only one with rank = 0 because it has no linearly independent rows or columns. This means that no combination of its rows or columns can create non-zero entries, resulting in a rank of 0.

How can you show that the 0 matrix is the only one with rank = 0?

This can be shown through various methods such as row reduction, rank-nullity theorem, or using the definition of rank.

Are there any exceptions to the 0 matrix being the only one with rank = 0?

No, there are no exceptions. The 0 matrix is the only matrix that has a rank of 0.

What implications does the 0 matrix being the only one with rank = 0 have in linear algebra?

This implies that the 0 matrix is a unique matrix in terms of rank and it cannot be transformed into any other matrix through matrix operations without changing its rank.