Showing that the P(r) is maximum at r=a_0/Z

In summary, the conversation is about trying to integrate a function over all values of r and setting it equal to 1, but encountering a messy and divergent result. The question is whether this is the right approach and why integration is necessary. The response clarifies that the goal is to maximize P(r), not integrate it.
Mason Smith

Homework Statement

upload_2019-1-27_11-10-43.png

Homework Equations

upload_2019-1-27_11-11-41.png

where
upload_2019-1-27_11-11-59.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate (7-32) over all values of r (i.e., from negative infinity to positive infinity) and set it equal to 1, but the result was too messy and was divergent. Am I making the right approach?

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-27_11-10-43.png
    upload_2019-1-27_11-10-43.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 486
  • upload_2019-1-27_11-11-41.png
    upload_2019-1-27_11-11-41.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 489
  • upload_2019-1-27_11-11-59.png
    upload_2019-1-27_11-11-59.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
Mason Smith said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 237887

Homework Equations

View attachment 237888
where
View attachment 237889

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate (7-32) over all values of r (i.e., from negative infinity to positive infinity) and set it equal to 1, but the result was too messy and was divergent. Am I making the right approach?
Why do you want to integrate? How do you normally find the maximum of a function?

Likes Mason Smith
Further to PeroK's comment, you are asked to maximise P(r), not ∫P(r).dr.

Likes Mason Smith
To PeroK and haruspex...thank you for the help! It makes perfect sense now. :smile:

Related to Showing that the P(r) is maximum at r=a_0/Z

What is P(r) and how does it relate to r?

P(r) is a probability distribution function that describes the likelihood of a random variable r taking on a specific value. In this context, r represents the distance between two particles. The maximum value of P(r) indicates the most probable distance between the particles.

How is the value of P(r) affected by the constant a0/Z?

The constant a0/Z represents the average distance between the particles. As this value increases, the peak of P(r) will shift to the right, indicating a greater likelihood of the particles being further apart. Conversely, as the value decreases, the peak of P(r) will shift to the left, indicating a greater likelihood of the particles being closer together.

Why is it important to show that P(r) is maximum at r=a0/Z?

Showing that P(r) is maximum at r=a0/Z is important because it provides evidence for the validity of the theoretical model being used to describe the system. It also allows for the determination of the average distance between the particles, which is a crucial parameter in many scientific studies.

What factors can influence the shape of P(r)?

The shape of P(r) can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the nature of the particles involved, the temperature and pressure of the system, and any external forces acting on the particles.

How can we experimentally determine the maximum value of P(r) at r=a0/Z?

One way to experimentally determine the maximum value of P(r) at r=a0/Z is by performing measurements on a sample of particles and analyzing the resulting data. This could involve techniques such as X-ray diffraction, neutron scattering, or electron microscopy. The data can then be used to plot P(r) and determine the location of the peak at r=a0/Z.