Sigma Notation and string of numbers

In summary, Sigma Notation is a mathematical representation of a series of numbers, denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ). It is read as "the sum of" and is used to simplify the representation of a large series of numbers and aid in computation and pattern recognition. A string of numbers is a sequence of numbers in a specific order and can be represented in Sigma Notation by defining the starting and ending terms and the pattern for generating them.
Old Math Dad
Trying to help my son & I am in Waaaaay over my head.

He has a string of numbers and needs to come up with the correct Sigma Notation equation.

3, 6, 12, 24, 48, 96

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]3\ +\ 6\ +\ 12\ +\ 24\ +\ 48\ +\ 96\ =\ \sum _{k=0}^53\cdot2^k[/tex]

Is that what you wanted? Given a sequence of six numbers, it's not clear what you even mean by "the correct Sigma Notation equation".

Bless Your Pointed Little Head.
I will look like a hero now.
Thank You VERY MUCH.

Related to Sigma Notation and string of numbers

1. What is Sigma Notation?

Sigma Notation, also known as summation notation, is a mathematical representation of a series of numbers. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and allows for the compact expression of a sum of terms.

2. How do you read Sigma Notation?

The Sigma Notation is read as "the sum of". For example, Σx2 is read as "the sum of x squared".

3. What is the purpose of Sigma Notation?

The purpose of Sigma Notation is to simplify the representation of a series of numbers, especially when the number of terms is large. It also allows for easier computation of sums and easier identification of patterns in a series.

4. What is a string of numbers?

A string of numbers is a sequence of numbers in a specific order. It can be finite or infinite and can include positive, negative, and decimal numbers. An example of a string of numbers is 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11...

5. How are Sigma Notation and string of numbers related?

Sigma Notation is a way to represent a string of numbers in a concise and organized manner. The series of numbers can be written in Sigma Notation by defining the starting and ending terms of the series and the pattern or rule for generating the terms.