Sign Convention for Angular Acceleration in Rotational Motion

In summary: I have now stepped through your method. In the first of your final pair of equations (the ##\hat i## equation) I get -12, not +12. If still stuck, please post all the steps.
Santilopez10
Homework Statement
Point B of a rod of lenght 0.46 m has a constant velocity of 2 m/s to the left. If ##\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}##, find:
a) The angular velocity and acceleration of the rod.
b) The acceleration of the center of mass.
Relevant Equations
Rigid body kinematics
we know that the center of instantaneous 0 velocity lies in the interception of 2 perpendicular lines to 2 points, which in this case lies above B. The velocity of any point of the rod can be described relative to the center of instantaneuous 0 velocity ##(Q)## as: $$\vec v_{P/Q}=\vec \omega \times \vec r_{P/Q}$$ For our problem, ##\vec v_{B/Q}=-2 \hat i## ,##\vec r_{B/Q}=-0.46 \sin {\frac{\pi}{4}} \hat j=-0.33 \hat j ## and ## \vec \omega = \omega \hat k ## (We will not assume its sign). Then $$-2 \hat i = 0.33 \omega \hat i \rightarrow \omega = -6 \rightarrow \vec \omega=-6 \hat k$$ This seems physically correct as the rod is rotating clockwise. Before we obtain the angular acceleration we need the velocity of point A, which we can relate to B as ##\vec v_{A/O}=\vec v_{B} + \vec \omega \times \vec r_{A/B}## (Where O is a fixed stationary origin) which ends up being ##\vec v_{A/O}=2 \hat j##.
Let's try to find the acceleration of point A, the equation relating the acceleration of A to B` s is: $$ \vec a_{A/O}= \vec a_{B/O}+ \vec \alpha \times \vec r_{A/B} + \vec \omega \times \vec v_{A/B}$$.
For our case B moves with constant velocity at that instant, ##\vec \alpha = \alpha \hat k##, ##\vec r_{A/B} = -0.33 \hat i +0.33 \hat j##, ##\vec a_{A/O}= a \hat j## and ##\vec v_{A/B} = 2 \hat i + 2 \hat j##. After doing the calculations we arrive at a system of equations: $$
\begin{cases}
-0.33 \alpha +12 =0 \\
-0.33 \alpha -12= a
\end{cases} $$
For which only we are interested in the first. From there we obtain that ##\vec \alpha = 36.36 \hat k##. Here raises my question. Should ##\vec \alpha## be negative for this situation? Or is a positive answer physically correct?

Attachments

• Sin título.png
    Sin título.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 144
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Santilopez10 said:
##\vec r_{A/B} = -0.33 \hat i +0.33 \hat j##
Check that.

Your -6 for angular velocity seems a little inaccurate, and you should specify units.

haruspex said:
Check that.

Your -6 for angular velocity seems a little inaccurate, and you should specify units.
A/B means “A respect to B”, maybe I was not so clear. Otherwise I do not know what's the problem. ##\cos{\frac{\pi}{4}} 0.46=0.33## same for sin. Then A is located -0.33 meters to the left and 0.33 meters upwards.

Santilopez10 said:
A/B means “A respect to B”, maybe I was not so clear. Otherwise I do not know what's the problem. ##\cos{\frac{\pi}{4}} 0.46=0.33## same for sin. Then A is located -0.33 meters to the left and 0.33 meters upwards.
Sorry, my mistake.
Using a very different approach I got an angular acceleration of -26.7 rad s-2. I'm pretty sure it should be negative. As the rod rises from the horizontal, the angular velocity starts at plus infinity and reduces to 2/.46 at the vertical.

Edit: no, no, no. It starts at minus infinity, so a positive angular acceleration is correct!

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Sorry, my mistake.
Using a very different approach I got an angular acceleration of -26.7 rad s-2. I'm pretty sure it should be negative. As the rod rises from the horizontal, the angular velocity starts at plus infinity and reduces to 2/.46 at the vertical.
Care to show your approach?

Santilopez10 said:
Care to show your approach?
JUst used Cartesian coordinates, ##x=L\cos(\theta)## etc.
Got ##\omega=\frac v{L\sin(\theta)}## and hence ##\dot\omega=-\frac{v}{L\sin^2(\theta)}\omega=-\frac{v^2}{L^2\sin^3(\theta)}##. That gives -53.4, double what I said before.

I believe you missed the linear acceleration term that arises due to the quotient rule. Plus the derivative of 1/sin(x) is not 1/sin^2(x).

Santilopez10 said:
I believe you missed the linear acceleration term that arises due to the quotient rule. Plus the derivative of 1/sin(x) is not 1/sin^2(x).
I don't think I missed a linear acceleration term; I did use that ##\ddot x=0##. But You are right about the other - I did drop a cos. Careless.
So now I get -37.8, very close to yours, except for the sign.

Last edited:
Seems like compared to your answer, the term that is giving me problems is ##\vec \omega \times \vec v_{A/B}##. If only ##\vec v_{A/B}## would be ## -2 \hat i + 2 \hat j## instead of ## 2 \hat i + 2 \hat j## then I could get the negative sign. To be honest I do not see where I committed a mistake.

Santilopez10 said:
Seems like compared to your answer, the term that is giving me problems is ##\vec \omega \times \vec v_{A/B}##. If only ##\vec v_{A/B}## would be ## -2 \hat i + 2 \hat j## instead of ## 2 \hat i + 2 \hat j## then I could get the negative sign. To be honest I do not see where I committed a mistake.
I have now stepped through your method. In the first of your final pair of equations (the ##\hat i## equation) I get -12, not +12. If still stuck, please post all the steps.

Edit: cancel that - yet another mistake by me.

Btw, I strongly recommend working entirely algebraically, not plugging in any numbers until the final step. It has many advantages, including better precision and readability for others.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
I have now stepped through your method. In the first of your final pair of equations (the ##\hat i## equation) I get -12, not +12. If still stuck, please post all the steps.

Btw, I strongly recommend working entirely algebraically, not plugging in any numbers until the final step. It has many advantages, including better precision and readability for others.
$$a \hat j= \alpha \hat k \times (-0.33 \hat i + 0.33 \hat j) -6 \hat k \times (2 \hat i + 2 \hat j)$$
$$-6 \hat k \times (2 \hat i + 2 \hat j)=
\begin{vmatrix}
i & j & k \\
0 & 0 & -6 \\
2 & 2 & 0
\end{vmatrix} =6
\begin{vmatrix}
i & j \\
2 & 2
\end{vmatrix} = 12 \hat i -12 \hat j$$
then in the ##\hat i## equation I get +12.

Santilopez10 said:
$$a \hat j= \alpha \hat k \times (-0.33 \hat i + 0.33 \hat j) -6 \hat k \times (2 \hat i + 2 \hat j)$$
$$-6 \hat k \times (2 \hat i + 2 \hat j)=
\begin{vmatrix}
i & j & k \\
0 & 0 & -6 \\
2 & 2 & 0
\end{vmatrix} =6
\begin{vmatrix}
i & j \\
2 & 2
\end{vmatrix} = 12 \hat i -12 \hat j$$
then in the ##\hat i## equation I get +12.
Yes, you are right again, it is +12. But I think I have it... Please see my edit to post #4.

(I can't believe I made so many blunders in one thread. I may have to hand back my award.)

haruspex said:
Yes, you are right again, it is +12. But I think I have it... Please see my edit to post #4.

(I can't believe I made so many blunders in one thread. I may have to hand back my award.)
Alright, but then why when using parametrization we get a negative answer?

haruspex said:
JUst used Cartesian coordinates, ##x=L\cos(\theta)## etc.
Got ##\omega=\frac v{L\sin(\theta)}## and hence ##\dot\omega=-\frac{v}{L\sin^2(\theta)}\omega=-\frac{v^2}{L^2\sin^3(\theta)}##. That gives -53.4, double what I said before.
You missed a negative sign in the expression for ##\omega## which arises from the derivative of cosine.

bump.

Santilopez10 said:
You missed a negative sign in the expression for ##\omega## which arises from the derivative of cosine.
Yes, I was rather careless wasn't I.
Thanks.

1. What is the physics behind a falling rod against a wall?

When a rod falls against a wall, it experiences a series of forces. First, gravity pulls the rod downward. As the rod falls, it gains momentum and therefore, kinetic energy. When the rod hits the wall, it experiences a sudden deceleration, causing a change in momentum and a force in the opposite direction. This force is then transferred to the wall, causing it to exert an equal and opposite force on the rod, ultimately stopping its fall.

2. Why does the rod bounce off the wall after it hits?

After the rod hits the wall and experiences the force in the opposite direction, it still has some kinetic energy. This energy causes the rod to bounce off the wall and move away from it. The height of the bounce depends on factors such as the material and shape of the rod, as well as the force and angle at which it hits the wall.

3. Can a falling rod damage the wall?

It is possible for a falling rod to damage a wall, depending on its size, material, and the force at which it hits. If the rod is heavy and hits the wall with a significant force, it can create a dent or even break through the wall. This is why it is important to handle heavy objects carefully near walls.

4. How does the length of the rod affect its fall against a wall?

The length of a rod can affect its fall against a wall in two main ways. First, a longer rod will take longer to reach the wall due to its greater surface area. This means it will have more time to gain momentum and kinetic energy before hitting the wall. Second, a longer rod will also have a higher moment of inertia, making it more resistant to changes in its motion. This can affect the angle and height at which the rod bounces off the wall.

5. Can the angle at which the rod hits the wall affect its fall?

Yes, the angle at which the rod hits the wall can affect its fall. If the rod hits the wall at a perpendicular angle, it will experience the full force of the wall, resulting in a higher bounce. However, if the rod hits the wall at an angle, some of the force will be directed sideways, causing the rod to slide down the wall rather than bounce off it. The angle can also affect the direction and distance at which the rod bounces away from the wall.