Sign Issue with Zitelli Quantum Mechanics 3.6

katieranthony
Homework Statement
A particle of mass m, in an infinite potential well of length a, has the following initial wave function at t = 0:
Relevant Equations
probability current density vector and partial time derivative of p
I will include a photo. Essentially, we need to prove that dp/dt + the gradient of J(x,t) = 0.
We are getting that the two are instead equal and opposite, and have checked with multiple people.

Physics news on Phys.org
katieranthony said:
Homework Statement: A particle of mass m, in an infinite potential well of length a, has the following initial wave function at t = 0:
Relevant Equations: probability current density vector and partial time derivative of p

I will include a photo. Essentially, we need to prove that dp/dt + the gradient of J(x,t) = 0.
We are getting that the two are instead equal and opposite, and have checked with multiple people.

1707977324631.png

Here is our work. Please let us know if you have any suggestions! We are genuinely very curious.

Attachments

• part2.jpg
    part2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 13
  • part1.jpg
    part1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 13
  • part3.jpg
    part3.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 14
katieranthony said:
Here is our work. Please let us know if you have any suggestions! We are genuinely very curious.
Your work in the photo is illegible. It would be best if you used LaTeX. When you do so, maybe you will resolve the negative sign problem. It's probably some silly mistake that you keep repeating because you are convinced that it's correct (it has happened to me too). Start fresh and don't copy from the board.

katieranthony said:
Homework Statement: A particle of mass m, in an infinite potential well of length a, has the following initial wave function at t = 0:
Relevant Equations: probability current density vector and partial time derivative of p

What two things are equal and opposite?? If ##x_1## and##~x_2## are equal and opposite , don't they sum to zero?? I am confused.