Sign of the time derivative of the Majorana Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses the Majorana representation of the Dirac algebra and the Majorana and Dirac Lagrangians, both in spacetime signature \eta_{00} = -1. The associated gravitational energy-density for the Majorana Lagrangian is calculated and found to be complex self-conjugate, while for the Dirac Lagrangian it is real-valued. The question is posed whether it is nonsensical to contemplate the sign of the time derivative in the case of the Majorana Lagrangian and how observables can be extracted from classical theories using Grassmann numbers. Using complex self-conjugate quantities is not a solution as they are not ordinary, real numbers.
JustMeDK
Let [itex]\gamma^{\rho} \in M_{4}(\mathbb{R})[/itex] be the Majorana representation of the Dirac algebra (in spacetime signature [itex]\eta_{00} = -1[/itex]), and consider the Majorana Lagrangian [tex]\mathcal{L} = \mathrm{i} \theta^{\mathrm{T}} \gamma^{0} (\gamma^{\rho} \partial_{\rho} - m) \theta,[/tex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is a Grassmann-valued four-spinor. The associated gravitational energy-density, the 00-component of the Belinfante energy-momentum tensor, I calculate to be [tex]\Theta^{00} = \frac{\mathrm{i}}{2} [ \theta^{\mathrm{T}} (\partial^{0} \theta) - (\partial^{0} \theta)^{\mathrm{T}} \theta].[/tex] Inserting into it the stationary plane, wave solution [itex]\theta = \mathrm{exp}(\gamma^{0}Et)\eta[/itex], where [itex]\eta[/itex] is some spacetime-independent, Grassmann-valued four-spinor, yields [itex]\Theta^{00} = \mathrm{i} E \eta^{\mathrm{T}} \gamma^{0} \eta[/itex]. Due to [itex](xy)^{*} \equiv y^{*}x^{*}[/itex] for Grassmann-valued quantities, this expression for [itex]\Theta^{00}[/itex] is complex self-conjugate (and nonvanishing), as it should be, but it is not real-valued.

In comparison, for the Dirac Lagrangian, [tex]\mathcal{L}_{D} = -\mathrm{i} \psi^{\dagger} \gamma^{0} (\gamma^{\rho} \partial_{\rho} - m) \psi,[/tex] also in spacetime signature [itex]\eta_{00} = -1[/itex], a similar calculation of the gravitational energy-density yields for a plane wave solution [itex]\psi = \mathrm{exp}(-\mathrm{i}Et)\psi_{0}[/itex] the real-valued expression [itex]\Theta^{00} = E \psi_{0}^{\dagger} \psi_{0}[/itex]. The exact sign of [itex] -\mathrm{i} \psi^{\dagger} \gamma^{0} \gamma^{0} \partial_{0} \psi = +\mathrm{i} \psi^{\dagger} \partial_{0} \psi [/itex] in [itex]\mathcal{L}_{D}[/itex] is essential for this energy-density to be positive-definite.

And now to my question: Is it nonsensical to analogously contemplate what the sign of the time derivative should be in the case of the Majorana Lagrangian? And if not, what is it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Extracting observables

Perhaps more concretely the following general question is what I am asking: How are any observables - ordinary, real numbers - to be extracted from a classical (i.e., non-quantum) theory that uses Grassmann numbers?

Using complex self-conjugate quantities like [itex]\mathrm{i}\theta_{1}\theta_{2}[/itex], say, where [itex]\theta_{1},\theta_{2}[/itex] are Grassmann numbers, is not a solution, for even though such a product does commute with everything, it is not an ordinary, real number, because it squares to zero.

1. What is the Majorana Lagrangian?

The Majorana Lagrangian is a mathematical expression used in particle physics to describe the dynamics of Majorana fermions, which are hypothetical particles that are their own antiparticles.

2. What does it mean to take the time derivative of the Majorana Lagrangian?

Taking the time derivative of the Majorana Lagrangian means to calculate the rate of change of the Lagrangian with respect to time. This gives us information about how the Majorana fermions are evolving over time.

3. How is the sign of the time derivative of the Majorana Lagrangian determined?

The sign of the time derivative of the Majorana Lagrangian is determined by the overall structure and parameters of the Lagrangian. It can also be derived from the equations of motion for the Majorana fermions.

4. What does a positive (or negative) sign of the time derivative of the Majorana Lagrangian indicate?

A positive sign of the time derivative of the Majorana Lagrangian indicates that the system is gaining energy over time, while a negative sign indicates that the system is losing energy. This can have implications for the stability and behavior of the Majorana fermions.

5. Why is the time derivative of the Majorana Lagrangian important?

The time derivative of the Majorana Lagrangian is important because it allows us to study the dynamics and behavior of Majorana fermions. It can also provide insights into the fundamental properties and interactions of these particles, which have implications for our understanding of the universe at a fundamental level.