Signals in discrete form (scaling, shifting etc.)

In summary: Attempting this question without any guidance from my professors unfortunately as they did not teach this bit. Searched online and also there aren't many questions like this.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Given that x[n] = [5 1 7 9 4 3], where 5 is x[0].
Find x[n-1] , 2x[n-1] and -2x[n-1]+3
Relevant Equations
-
Attempting this question without any guidance from my professors unfortunately as they did not teach this bit. Searched online and also there aren't many questions like this.
From what I know,
(I) Having n-1 means you should shift right by 1, which means x[0] is now equals to 0? So x[n-1] = [0 5 1 7 9 4 3]?

ii) 2x[n-1] is simply a magnitude scaling of part one, so is it simply just 2x[n-1] = [0 10 2 14 18 8 6]?

(iii) -2x[n-1]+3. Is this simply again a magnitude scaling by -2 of part 1? Not sure how to do the +3 function though. Any help will be appreciated here :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know if x[n] is periodic?

Also which class is this for and what are some topics you just recently covered in class, or maybe which book are you following? If the problem came from the textbook, then what's the name of the chapter it's coming from? I'm trying to get more context.

Likes FactChecker
Joshy said:
Do you know if x[n] is periodic?

Also which class is this for and what are some topics you just recently covered in class, or maybe which book are you following? If the problem came from the textbook, then what's the name of the chapter it's coming from? I'm trying to get more context.
I'm not sure, it wasn't stated. Digitial signal processing, and the question came from a worksheet, not a textbook.

jisbon said:
(I) Having n-1 means you should shift right by 1, which means x[0] is now equals to 0? So x[n-1] = [0 5 1 7 9 4 3]?
Well, that's as good an answer as any. But they didn't really tell you how to deal with x[0], did they? Some poorly defined questions have no answer. OTOH, I like your guess (which we call "zero padding" in the engineering world). You might also drop the 3 at the end, since in your answer you've increased the dimension of the vector, which is sometimes ok, and sometimes not. IDK.

jisbon said:
Homework Statement:: Given that x[n] = [5 1 7 9 4 3], where 5 is x[0].
Find x[n-1] , 2x[n-1] and -2x[n-1]+3
Relevant Equations:: -

Not sure how to do the +3 function though.
Well they're asking you to add a vector to a scalar, in my interpretation. Again, undefined. But I like your approach of doing it element by element, nothing else makes much sense to me.

Sometimes the questions asked depend on the material previously presented; i.e. they are assuming that you will do things the way they showed you previously. Other times the instructors are lazy or idiots and they ask poorly worded questions. Writing good HW/test questions is often harder than it appears.

1. What is the difference between discrete and continuous signals?

Discrete signals are a series of individual data points that are separated by distinct intervals, while continuous signals are a smooth, uninterrupted flow of data. In other words, discrete signals are represented by a set of numbers, while continuous signals are represented by a function.

2. What is scaling in discrete signals?

Scaling is the process of changing the amplitude or magnitude of a discrete signal. This can be done by multiplying each data point by a constant factor. Scaling can either increase or decrease the amplitude of the signal, depending on the value of the constant.

3. How is shifting performed on discrete signals?

Shifting, also known as time-shifting, is the process of moving a discrete signal along the time axis. This can be done by adding or subtracting a constant value to each data point. Shifting can either move the signal forward or backward in time, depending on the value of the constant.

4. What is the significance of the sampling rate in discrete signals?

The sampling rate, also known as the sampling frequency, is the number of samples taken per unit of time in a discrete signal. It determines the resolution and accuracy of the signal. A higher sampling rate means more samples are taken, resulting in a more accurate representation of the signal.

5. How are discrete signals used in digital signal processing?

Discrete signals are used in digital signal processing to analyze, manipulate, and transmit data. By converting continuous signals into discrete signals, they can be processed and transmitted using digital devices. This allows for a wide range of applications, including audio and image processing, telecommunications, and control systems.