In summary, the author discusses how computers have changed many aspects of life and how they can be used in science. They also mention how students should be trained to use computers to collect data and process it.
Introduction
We are in many ways a fortunate generation having so many wonderful tools at our disposal on account of the “silicon revolution”. The advent of powerful personal computers has radically changed just about every form of human activity in a few short decades (this author – for example – is of a generation that still used slide rules at school !). Can one imagine – for example – doing linear regression or even simple standard deviation calculations without the use (at very least) of a pocket calculator? In respect of science education, there are many possibilities for effecting realistic computer simulations of any number of experiments that would otherwise demand access to well-equipped laboratories. This is not to run down the necessary ‘ hands-on’ requirements of scientific investigation but rather to consider imaginative ways and means whereby data can be collected and processed in a meaningful scientific manner. Students should be trained to make effective use of...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith, Charles Link and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice article, great topic though i miss the lab excitement of doing an experiment not unlike the zeeman effect using a badass water cooled electromagnet complete with Frankensteins knife switch and a massive sliding potentiometer in series to split the delicate spectral lines for measurement.

With the caveat of don't pull the knife switch until you cycle down the magnet via the potentiometer to prevent death by electric arc.

I too am of the slide rule age. In my senior year at college the TI SR-50 came out and we were just amazed. $180

Likes Charles Link
Thanks for your kind comment - can't say I know much about the Zeeman effect (potential Insights article ?) other than reading somewhere that "the anomalous Zeeman effect" drove Pauli into fits of depression! Agree that nothing quite matches the excitement of hands on experiments although - on the whole - I think I would rather process the data via Excel and leave my slide rule in it's "museum drawer"! My brother still has in his possession an early electronic calculator which - in it's time - made him the envy of the sixth form (UK system schooling).

Likes Charles Link, jedishrfu and Greg Bernhardt