Simple bending moment calculation

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the maximum bending moment in a diagram and understanding the loading system more clearly. The reactions at the supports are calculated and it is suggested to draw shear and moment diagrams to better understand the problem. The conversation ends with a request to draw a shear diagram first.
Wilson123
Hi,

Really need some help with figuring out the max bending moment in the diagram shown below (I'm aware this is extremely simple but time and stress appear to have the better of me, so any help is appreciated)

upload_2017-3-10_21-32-47.png

I think I've worked out the reactions at each support by doing m=wL as the following

0.785 x 0.08 = 0.63
0.785 x 0.28 = 0.22

I'm also aware that I could be completely wrong with what I've just put above.

SOS

Engineering news on Phys.org
The beam would probably just tip over with the forces acting in the directions shown .

We need to understand the actual loading system more clearly before calculating bending moments .

Can you post a sketch showing the actual mechanical assembly that your line drawing represents ?

I don't think the reactions are correct. As drawn, ΣM = 0 = 0.2R + 0.785(0.08) : R = - 0.314 kN : The "-" sign simply implies you have the right reaction, R, acting the opposite direction. ΣF = 0 = - 0.785 - 0.314 + L : The left reaction, L = 1.099 kN : Given the reactions you should be able to calculate the moment.
Draw shear and moment diagrams.

Likes Wilson123
Vector1962 said:
I don't think the reactions are correct. As drawn, ΣM = 0 = 0.2R + 0.785(0.08) : R = - 0.314 kN : The "-" sign simply implies you have the right reaction, R, acting the opposite direction. ΣF = 0 = - 0.785 - 0.314 + L : The left reaction, L = 1.099 kN : Given the reactions you should be able to calculate the moment.
Draw shear and moment diagrams.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Draw a shear diagram first.

1. What is simple bending moment calculation?

Simple bending moment calculation is a method used to determine the internal forces and stresses within a beam or structure when subjected to an external force, known as a bending moment. It is an important concept in engineering and is used to ensure structural integrity and safety.

2. How is simple bending moment calculated?

To calculate the bending moment of a beam, you need to know the applied load, the length of the beam, and the location and type of support. The bending moment is then calculated using the equation M = F x d, where M is the bending moment, F is the applied load, and d is the distance from the load to the point of interest.

3. What are the units of measurement for bending moment?

The units of measurement for bending moment are force multiplied by length, typically represented as Nm (Newton-meters) or lb-ft (pound-feet). These units indicate the amount of force acting on a specific distance along the beam.

4. What factors can affect the bending moment of a structure?

The bending moment of a structure can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude and location of the applied load, the length and type of beam, and the type of support. Additionally, the material properties and cross-sectional shape of the beam can also impact the bending moment.

5. What is the significance of simple bending moment calculation?

Simple bending moment calculation is essential for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of a beam or structure. By accurately determining the internal forces and stresses, engineers can design and construct structures that can withstand the loads they will be subjected to, preventing failure and potential disasters.