Do Ribosomes, tRNA, and mRNA Interact to Synthesize Proteins?

• Thread starter quietrain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, Ribosomes are the sites where tRNA and mRNA meet to produce proteins. This process produces proteins which are made up of amino acids connected in a linear chain.
quietrain
1) am i right to say ribosomes are the sites where tRNA and mRNA meet to produce proteins? by the way, is it proteins or amino acids?

2) if i want to form 5 amino acids, does it mean i need 5 tRNAs? do i need to count in the stop codon or release factor? but since stop codon is mRNA, and release factor is not tRNA, does it mean 5 amino acids means i need 5 tRNAs?

3) if i synthesize 5 amino acids, does it mean i get 5 water molecules? since peptide bonds are formed by losing 1 water molecule. so 5 amino acids means 5 water molecules? do i need to take into account anything else?

thank you very much!

Biology news on Phys.org
quietrain said:
1) am i right to say ribosomes are the sites where tRNA and mRNA meet to produce proteins? by the way, is it proteins or amino acids?

Yes, the binding of mRNAs to tRNAs occurs on the ribosome. This process produces protein. Proteins are made up of amino acids connected in a linear chain.

2) if i want to form 5 amino acids, does it mean i need 5 tRNAs? do i need to count in the stop codon or release factor? but since stop codon is mRNA, and release factor is not tRNA, does it mean 5 amino acids means i need 5 tRNAs?

Yes, a protein of 5 amino acids would require 5 tRNAs, one for each amino acid.

3) if i synthesize 5 amino acids, does it mean i get 5 water molecules? since peptide bonds are formed by losing 1 water molecule. so 5 amino acids means 5 water molecules? do i need to take into account anything else?

It's actually four, not five (since there are four reactions going on, a reaction linking amino acids 1 and 2, linking 2 and 3, linking 3 and 4 and linking 4 and 5). I should also note that releasing the protein from the ribosome requires a water molecule.

Re: "It's actually four, not five (since there are four reactions going on, a reaction linking amino acids 1 and 2, linking 2 and 3, linking 3 and 4 and linking 4 and 5). I should also note that releasing the protein from the ribosome requires a water molecule."

So, net gain is 3 H2O's
;)

quietrain said:
2) if i want to form 5 amino acids, does it mean i need 5 tRNAs?

No, and I'm going against Ygg up there. You said you want to "form" five amino acids. Well, I don't think tRNA is involved with "forming" amino acids. In general amino acids come from our diet although I think the body can synthesize many of them during intermediate metabolism but tRNA is not involved in that synthesis I think. Just check alright. Google how the body synthesizes amino acids. Be good for you right?

jackmell said:
No, and I'm going against Ygg up there. You said you want to "form" five amino acids.

Well I agree that the OP should not use the word 'form' or 'synthesize' in such context. But he is definitely talking about translation over here (he mentions tRNA, mRNA, stop codon and release factor).

Need to be precise in science. Oh, just put a few drops of hydrochloric acid in the eyes . . . wait, sorry, I meant boric acid. What else? Just one little slip-up and bam-o. Dead dog. Oh, I meant one mole, not two. That dose-dependent thing too: one pill is therapeudic, two pills though kill. I know he's new. Better learn now though. Just trying to help.

jackmell said:
Need to be precise in science.

Totally Agree.

Related to Do Ribosomes, tRNA, and mRNA Interact to Synthesize Proteins?

1. What is biology?

Biology is the scientific study of living organisms and their interactions with their environment.

2. What are the basic principles of biology?

The basic principles of biology include the cell theory, evolution, genetics, homeostasis, and energy flow. These principles help to explain the diversity of life and how living organisms function.

3. What is the difference between a living and non-living thing?

A living thing, or organism, is able to carry out life processes such as growth, reproduction, and response to stimuli. Non-living things do not have these characteristics and are not made up of cells.

4. How do organisms obtain energy?

Organisms obtain energy through various methods such as photosynthesis, cellular respiration, and consuming other organisms. Photosynthesis is the process by which plants and some bacteria convert sunlight into energy, while cellular respiration is the process by which all living organisms convert energy from food into a usable form.

5. What is the role of DNA in biology?

DNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, is the genetic material that contains the instructions for an organism's development and function. It is responsible for passing on traits from parents to offspring and plays a crucial role in evolution and the diversity of life.