(Simple Electromagnetics) A charge placed between 2 charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium of a charge (q) placed between two other equal charges (Q). In the case of both Q's being positive, the charge q will be in equilibrium, but it is unclear whether it is a stable or unstable equilibrium. However, if one Q is negative while the other is positive, q will not be in equilibrium and will experience acceleration. The criterion for a stable equilibrium is when the system tends to return to its equilibrium position when perturbed. It is mentioned that this is a one-dimensional problem and that the criterion was not provided, so further analysis is needed to determine the stability of q's equilibrium.
runninthrutha6

Homework Statement

A charge (q) is placed in-between two other equal charges named Q.
Q-----q-----Q
a) If both Q's are positive, is charge q in equilibrium? If yes, is it a stable or unstable equilibrium?
b) What about if one Q is negative while the other is positive?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I think the charge q will be in equilibrium, considering the attraction or repulsion forces will cancel out. However, I have no clue how to know if it is unstable or stable.

b) q will not be in equilibrium, the forces will be in the same direction and thus not cancel out, giving q an acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about the answer to a. It depends whether tjis is to be treated as purely a one dimensional problem or whether other dimensions should be taken into account.
What is the criterion for an equilibrium to be stable?

haruspex said:
I'm not sure about the answer to a. It depends whether tjis is to be treated as purely a one dimensional problem or whether other dimensions should be taken into account.
What is the criterion for an equilibrium to be stable?
It is one-dimensional, and nothing to overthink I believe. It's a first-year intro course so nothing too complicated.

The issue is the criterion wasn't provided, so I'm trying to determine this on my own.

runninthrutha6 said:
It is one-dimensional, and nothing to overthink I believe. It's a first-year intro course so nothing too complicated.

The issue is the criterion wasn't provided, so I'm trying to determine this on my own.
A stable equilibrium is one in which the system will tend to return towards the equilibrium position if slightly perturbed from it.
If the middle charge is pushed a little to one side, will it move back, keep going, or stay where it is put?
Those three possibilities correspond to stable, unstable, semistable.

1. What is the force experienced by a charge placed between two charges?

The force experienced by a charge placed between two charges is known as the electrostatic force and is given by Coulomb's law. It is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the direction of the force change if the charge placed between two charges is negative?

If the charge placed between two charges is negative, the direction of the force will be opposite to that of a positive charge. This means that the force will be repulsive instead of attractive.

3. Can the magnitude of the force be zero if a charge is placed between two equal charges?

Yes, if a charge is placed between two equal charges, the magnitude of the force will be zero. This is because the forces exerted by the two charges on the middle charge will cancel each other out due to their equal magnitude and opposite direction.

4. How does the distance between the two charges affect the force on a charge placed between them?

The force on a charge placed between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the two charges increases, the force on the middle charge decreases and vice versa.

5. Is the force on a charge placed between two charges affected by the presence of other charges?

Yes, the force on a charge placed between two charges can be affected by the presence of other charges. This is because the other charges can also exert forces on the middle charge, altering the net force experienced by the middle charge.