Simple Fourier transform problem

In summary, the problem asks to calculate the Fourier transform of a sequence x[n] with transform X(ejw), in terms of X(ejw). However, this seems to be impossible as the sequence 0.9n does not have a Fourier transform and 0.9nu[n] does not have the same case. The problem statement may need to be clarified for a solution to be possible.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

Given x[n] with transform X(ejw), find the Fourier transform in terms of X(ejw).

x1[n]=[0.9ncos(0.6*pi*n)] * x[n-2]

Homework Equations

time shift: x[n-k] -> e-jwkX(ejw)
convolution: x[n] * h[n] -> X(w)H(w)
freq. shift: x[n]ejwcn -> X(ew-wc)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that this problem has no solution because 0.9n has no Fourier transform (not summable). 0.9nu[n] on the other hand does but not the same case here. am i doing this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am at a loss to understand the problem. It seems to me as if the problem is to calculate the Fourier transform of a constant - or a sequence of constants. Is that correct?

yeah, I guess i didn't word it correctly. what it reads exactly is 'given a sequence x[n] with Fourier transform Xejw, determine the Fourier transform of the sequences in terms of Xejw.

asdf12312 said:
'given a sequence x[n] with Fourier transform Xejw, determine the Fourier transform of the sequences in terms of Xejw.
Still does not make any sense to me...

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a signal into its individual frequency components. It is commonly used in signal processing and data analysis to understand the frequency content of a signal.

2. What is a simple Fourier transform problem?

A simple Fourier transform problem is a basic application of the Fourier transform, typically involving a simple signal or function and its frequency spectrum. It is often used as a learning tool to understand the concept of Fourier transforms.

3. How do you perform a simple Fourier transform?

To perform a simple Fourier transform, you first need to have a signal or function that you want to analyze. Then, using a mathematical formula, you can calculate the Fourier transform of that signal. This can be done manually or with the help of software or programming languages such as MATLAB.

4. What are the applications of simple Fourier transform?

The simple Fourier transform has various applications in science, engineering, and data analysis. It is used to analyze signals in fields such as audio and image processing, communications, and control systems. It is also used in scientific research to understand the frequency content of various phenomena.

5. What are the limitations of the simple Fourier transform?

The simple Fourier transform is limited in its ability to analyze non-stationary signals, meaning signals that change over time. It also assumes that the signal is periodic, which may not always be the case. In these situations, more advanced techniques such as the short-time Fourier transform or wavelet transform may be more suitable.