Fourier transform (got right answer, but not matching graph)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem using the scaling property and property of dual, and determining the time period of the Fourier transform of a rectangular function. The final answer is determined to be A, and the correct definition of the rect function is provided. The conversation also mentions finding help on the Math Stack Exchange and clarifies that the correct answer is indeed A.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-2-8_17-45-1.png

Homework Equations

Scaling property and property of dual. I got the answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer using scaling property and using property of dual.
x1(t)---> X2(W)----(another Fourier transform)--->2(3.14) x1(-w)
But I think the final answer should be A.
1/4 rect (w/8(pie)) has time period of 8
Even when I use area under frequency domain = 2(3.14)x(t) at t = 0, I get A as answer.
I tried google but couldn't find in the expression rect (k w) where k is constant, what will the time period be.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-8_17-45-1.png
    upload_2018-2-8_17-45-1.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 4,330
  • upload_2018-2-8_17-45-29.png
    upload_2018-2-8_17-45-29.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got the answer in terms of equation or rect value. But I don't think (1/4) rect (w/8π) is D. I think it's A.
I'm searching on google how to represent: rect (w) but am failing.
Does rect (w) mean it spans from -w to +w or does it mean it spans from -2w to +2w?

Even as per this formula:
upload_2018-2-8_19-25-38.png

in Time domain, the coefficient of 't' is k
and in frequency domain the rect pulse spans from -K to +K
Do you think A is right answer instead of D?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-8_19-25-38.png
    upload_2018-2-8_19-25-38.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 674
Can somebody please help me with this question? I get the matching answer in rect form but I think (1/4) rect (W/8 pie) is option A and not Sure as they've marked.

Thanks in advance.

jaus tail said:
But I don't think (1/4) rect (w/8π) is D. I think it's A.
This is correct. The rect function is defined according to
$$
\operatorname{rect}(x) = \begin{cases} 1, & |x| < 1/2 \\ 1/2, & |x| = 1/2 \\ 0, & |x| > 1/2\end{cases}
$$
In your case, this means that it is one when
$$
\left\lvert \frac{\omega}{8\pi}\right\rvert < \frac 12 \quad \Longleftrightarrow \quad \lvert \omega \rvert < 4\pi
$$

Likes vanhees71 and jaus tail
jaus tail said:
Does rect (w) mean it spans from -w to +w or does it mean it spans from -2w to +2w?
I don't think that question makes sense.
rect(f(x)) spans from f(x)=-½ to f(x)=+½.
rect##\left(\frac{\omega}{8\pi}\right)## spans from ##\frac{\omega}{8\pi}=-\frac 12##, so from ##\omega=-4\pi##.
So yes, I agree it should be A.

Took too long typing... Orodruin got there first.

Likes jaus tail
Thanks a lot. I was freaked out thinking i was wrong somewhere. So A is right answer. Thanks.

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. It converts a signal from its original domain (such as time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain. This allows us to analyze the frequency components of a signal and understand its behavior in a different way.

2. What is the difference between a Fourier transform and a Fourier series?

A Fourier transform is used for continuous functions, while a Fourier series is used for periodic functions. A Fourier series breaks down a periodic function into a sum of sine and cosine waves, while a Fourier transform can handle both periodic and non-periodic functions.

3. What is the importance of Fourier transform in signal processing?

Fourier transform is essential in signal processing because it allows us to analyze signals and understand their frequency components. This is useful in a variety of applications, such as filtering, noise reduction, and data compression.

4. How is the Fourier transform related to the inverse Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform and inverse Fourier transform are mathematical operations that are inverses of each other. The Fourier transform converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, while the inverse Fourier transform converts it back from the frequency domain to the time domain.

5. How is the Fourier transform used in image processing?

The Fourier transform is used in image processing to analyze the frequency components of an image and manipulate them. This allows for tasks such as noise removal, image enhancement, and compression. The Fourier transform is also used in the JPEG image compression algorithm.