Simple framework, maximum force and stress.

In summary, the problem is to determine the maximum force F and the stress in rods AB and BC in a simple framework made of two linked rods A, B, and C, burdened by a force F. The rods have a square cross section of 30x30 mm and are made of steel with a Young's modulus of 210 GPa. Using the equations I = w*h^2/12 and Fb = pi^2*E*I/L^2, it is possible to calculate the maximum force F by determining the breaking of rod BC, which is equal to 22.4 kN. To find the stress, the equation σ=F/A can be used, resulting in a stress of 24.9 MP
Waelroe

Homework Statement

A simple framework by two rods linked in A, B and C. Burdened by a force F. The rods is of square cross section 30x30 mm and made by steel 1550-01 -> E = 210 GPa.

[PLAIN]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/125/ram001.jpg

Determinate maximum force F and the stress in the rods AB and BC.

Homework Equations

I = w*h^2/12

Fb = pi^2*E*I/L^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is that It's enough to calculate the breaking of BC to get the maximum force F.

I = 0,03^4/12 = 6,75*10^-8 m^2

Fb = 22,4 kN

Then I assumed I could use tanX = a/b -> (a=F) -> F = 22,4*tan30 = 12,932 kN.

Could that be the correct answer?

For the stress I guess I should use σ=F/A, just by putting the things I got into that I get 22400/9*10^4 = 24,9 MPa, could that be the stress in BC? But then how do I get the stress in AB?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone got an idea for this?

1. What is a simple framework?

A simple framework is a basic structure or system that is designed to support and organize various components or elements. It serves as a foundation for more complex structures or functions.

2. What is maximum force?

Maximum force is the greatest amount of force that a material or structure can withstand before breaking or failing. It is an important factor in determining the strength and durability of a framework.

3. How is maximum force calculated?

Maximum force is typically calculated by dividing the ultimate tensile strength (the maximum amount of stress a material can withstand) by the safety factor. The safety factor takes into account potential variations in materials and external factors such as temperature and environmental conditions.

4. What is stress in relation to a framework?

In the context of a framework, stress refers to the internal forces or pressure that is exerted on the structure. This can be caused by external loads or forces acting upon the framework, and it is important to design a framework that can withstand these stresses without failure.

5. How can a framework be designed to minimize stress?

To minimize stress in a framework, it is important to consider the materials used, the design of the structure, and the expected external forces that will act upon it. By carefully selecting the appropriate materials and design, a framework can be optimized to withstand maximum forces and minimize stress, resulting in a stronger and more durable structure.