Simple gravitational potential energy

In summary, the gravitational potential energy of a 400-N child on a swing with ropes 2.00 m long can be calculated using the equation Ug=mgy, where y is the vertical distance raised to. In the case where the ropes make a 30.0° angle with the vertical, the calculation becomes Ug = 400N ⋅ 2m(1-cos30), resulting in a potential energy of 107J. This is due to the fact that the child is raised to a certain height, which is the value of y, from their initial position at the lowest point. The 1-cos30 term takes into account the vertical distance raised to, which is necessary for the calculation.
sireh

Homework Statement

A 400-N child is in a swing that is attached to a pair of ropes 2.00 m long. Find the gravitational potential energy of the child-Earth system relative to the child’s lowest position when

(b) the ropes make a 30.0° angle with the vertical

Homework Equations

Ug=mgy

The Attempt at a Solution

b.) Ug = 400N ⋅ 2m(1-cos30)
Ug = 107J

I understand everything about the problem (and was able to do the other parts of it without issue) except where the 1-cos30 comes from. Even drawing it out I just can't visualize where that is coming from. I originally thought that it would just be 2m(cos30) but the answer key says that is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
sireh said:
I understand everything about the problem (and was able to do the other parts of it without issue) except where the 1-cos30 comes from. Even drawing it out I just can't visualize where that is coming from. I originally thought that it would just be 2m(cos30) but the answer key says that is wrong.

i think the potential energy change is initial state when it was at the lowest point and then it was raised to an angle 30 degree- so the the child was raised to certain height and that height matters for P.E. calculation -i.e. your y... so making some triangle with original position and raised position calculate y -the amount of vertical distance raised to be multiplied to the load raised...

How much higher is the 30 degree point than the bottom point?

1. What is simple gravitational potential energy?

Simple gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is a type of potential energy that can be converted into kinetic energy when the object falls or moves.

2. How is simple gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating simple gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground or reference point.

3. What factors affect the amount of simple gravitational potential energy an object has?

The amount of simple gravitational potential energy an object has depends on its mass, height above the ground, and the strength of the gravitational field. The higher the object is and the stronger the gravitational field, the more potential energy it will have.

4. Can simple gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, simple gravitational potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the object is below the reference point, such as when it is below ground level. In this case, the potential energy is calculated as a negative value.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple gravitational potential energy?

Some examples of simple gravitational potential energy in everyday life include a book on a shelf, a roller coaster at the top of a hill, and a diver standing on a diving board. These objects have potential energy due to their position in a gravitational field, and this energy is converted into kinetic energy when they fall or move.