Simple harmonic motion - damping introduced

In summary, the homework equation is ## A e^{-\frac{b}{2m} t}=\frac{1}{2} Ae^{-\frac{b}{2m} 0} ##, and the amplitude halves after 3.036 seconds.
Jozefina Gramatikova

Homework Statement

upload_2018-8-18_17-28-41.png

Homework Equations

upload_2018-8-18_17-29-0.png

upload_2018-8-18_17-29-57.png
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve everything but d). Please help

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-18_17-28-41.png
    upload_2018-8-18_17-28-41.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 554
  • upload_2018-8-18_17-29-0.png
    upload_2018-8-18_17-29-0.png
    5 KB · Views: 581
  • upload_2018-8-18_17-29-57.png
    upload_2018-8-18_17-29-57.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 553
Physics news on Phys.org
The damping coefficient is ## b ## in your formula. Do you know how to solve ## e^{-\frac{b}{2m}t}=\frac{1}{2} ## for ## t ## ? . ## \\ ## Edit: A google of the topic calls ## \gamma=\frac{b}{2m} ## the damping coefficient, but it is really a choice of terminology. By the units they give you, they are giving you ## b ##.

Charles Link said:
The damping coefficient is ## b ## in your formula. Do you know how to solve ## e^{-\frac{b}{2m}t}=\frac{1}{2} ## for ## t ## ? .
I don't know how much is x(t)

Jozefina Gramatikova said:
I don't know how much is x(t)
The sinusoidal oscillation is assumed to happen at a much higher frequency with small damping, so that the period of the oscillation ## T ## is quite short, and you don't need to consider the term ## \cos(\omega t ) ##. The amplitude is ## A e^{- \frac{b}{2m} t} ##.

Likes Jozefina Gramatikova
Charles Link said:
The sinusoidal oscillation is assumed to happen at a much higher frequency with small damping, so that the period of the oscillation ## T ## is quite short, and you don't need to consider the term ## \cos(\omega t ) ##. The amplitude is ## A e^{- \frac{b}{2m} t} ##.
Ok, thank you and what about x(t)

Your (first equation) that you posted in part 2 of the OP for ## x(t) ## is correct. (You didn't list an equation for ## \omega' ## though). And your second equation, which I think is a damping ratio number is really not of prime interest here. It would help if you would state what the parameter is. I had to go googling for the second equation you posted, to see if it was correct.## \\ ## When they say, how long does it take for the amplitude to "halve" that means ## A e^{-\frac{b}{2m} t}=\frac{1}{2} Ae^{-\frac{b}{2m} 0} ##, so that ## e^{-\frac{b}{2m} t}=\frac{1}{2} ##.

Oh, I am sorry I didn't think an equation for w' would be helpful here. Thank you very much for your help!

Likes Charles Link
Now, the next step is take the natural log of both sides of this last equation in order to solve for ## t ##. (It may be worthwhile for me to mention that, because I'm not sure how advanced you may be).

Charles Link said:
Now, the next step is take the natural log of both sides of this last equation in order to solve for ## t ##. (It may be worthwhile for me to mention that, because I'm not sure how advanced you may be).
Yeah, I know how to proceed from here ## A e^{-\frac{b}{2m} t}=\frac{1}{2} Ae^{-\frac{b}{2m} 0} ##,. I got t=3.036s. I hope that this is correct

Likes Charles Link
Suggest you use ## \ln{2}=.693 ## and you get ## t=3.05 ## seconds. (I see you must have used ## \ln{2}=.690 ##).

That's true. I did plug 0.69. Thank you!

Likes Charles Link

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium position with a constant amplitude and period. This motion is characterized by a sinusoidal curve.

2. What is damping in simple harmonic motion?

Damping is a resistance force that is applied to a system in simple harmonic motion, causing the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time. This is often due to friction or air resistance.

3. How does damping affect simple harmonic motion?

Damping reduces the amplitude of the oscillations in simple harmonic motion and also changes the period of the motion. It gradually decreases the energy of the system, causing the object to eventually come to rest at the equilibrium position.

4. What are the different types of damping in simple harmonic motion?

There are three main types of damping: underdamping, overdamping, and critical damping. Underdamping occurs when the resistance force is less than the critical value, causing the object to oscillate with decreasing amplitude. Overdamping occurs when the resistance force is greater than the critical value, causing the object to return to equilibrium slowly, without oscillation. Critical damping occurs when the resistance force is equal to the critical value, causing the object to return to equilibrium without any oscillations.

5. How is damping introduced in simple harmonic motion?

Damping can be introduced in simple harmonic motion through external forces such as friction or air resistance, or through internal forces such as the resistance of a spring or the viscosity of a fluid. It can also be introduced by changing the properties of the system, such as the mass or the spring constant.