Equations of motion of a 2-DoF Free damped vibration system

In summary: X2e^(s2t)?Yes, it would be sensible to try and find composite coordinates ##\ \xi_i\ ## (with solutions ##\ \xi_i = A_ie^{s_it}\ ## where ##\ s_1 \in \mathbb {C} \ ## ) and see if you can find the matrix for them, so you can decouple.
mmullan
New user has been reminded to post schoolwork problems in the Homework Help forums
Summary:: What are the Equations of motion for a free damped 2-Dof systrem?

Hello,

I am required to calculate the equations of motion for a 2-dof system as shown in the attached file. The system is undergoing free damped vibrations. I have found the equations of motion for no damping but i was wondering what effect damping has on these equations and have not been able to find a book that has the equations for free damped 2 dof motion. The system i am analysing will require the motion to be able to calculate displacement values with changing initial displacements but the initial velocities will always be 0.Would anyone know the damped free vibration equations of motion for a 2 dof system or know how these equations are obtained?

Attachments

• diagram.pdf
    63.8 KB · Views: 172
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @mmullan,
:welcome: !​

I have found the equations of motion for no damping
There are a few rules in the homework forums that require you to post your attempt at solution before we are allowed to help.

In this case I don't think I'm breaking any rules if I suggest you use the same approach as with the damped harmonic oscillator.

##\ ##

Likes mmullan
Likes mmullan
Thanks for the help. I need to find an equation for x1(t) and x2(t). From the example you've shown i am unsure how you could take it from the matrix form to the x(t) equations

mmullan said:
Thanks for the help. I need to find an equation for x1(t) and x2(t). From the example you've shown i am unsure how you could take it from the matrix form to the x(t) equations
Yes, I know. But:
I tried to point out the rules to you: first post what you have, then we can provide help

##\ ##

BvU said:
Yes, I know. But:
I tried to point out the rules to you: first post what you have, then we can provide help

##\ ##
Sorry about that. I am new to the forum and didn't know about these rules. I have attached my workings where i have performed a laplace transform on the equations of motion of the masses according to Newton's second law. I am unsure of the next steps in order to obtain equations for x1(t) and x2(t)

Attachments

• 2 dof damped vibrations.pdf
    957.1 KB · Views: 142
Very good. In the undamped case you now proceed to decouple the ##\ddot x_i ## and find normal modes. In your work it looks as if you go to a Laplace transform for the coupled ##x##.
Would it be sensible to try and find composite coordinates ##\ \xi_i\ ## (with solutions ##\ \xi_i = A_ie^{s_it}\ ## where ##\ s_1 \in \mathbb {C} \ ## ) and see if you can find the matrix for them, so you can decouple ?

##\ ##

Sorry but i am unsure how to relate the equations i have found using the free body diagram to the equation for the composite coordinates. could this equation be described as x1(t)=X1e^(s1t)

1. What is a 2-DoF free damped vibration system?

A 2-DoF free damped vibration system is a mechanical system with two degrees of freedom that experiences free, or unforced, vibrations. This means that the system is not being driven by an external force, but rather its motion is solely due to its initial conditions and the damping forces present within the system.

2. What are the equations of motion for a 2-DoF free damped vibration system?

The equations of motion for a 2-DoF free damped vibration system can be written as a set of coupled second-order differential equations. These equations describe the motion of each degree of freedom in terms of their respective mass, stiffness, damping, and initial conditions. They can be solved using mathematical techniques such as Laplace transforms or numerical methods.

3. How do damping forces affect the motion of a 2-DoF free damped vibration system?

Damping forces in a 2-DoF free damped vibration system act to dissipate energy and reduce the amplitude of the system's vibrations over time. This means that the system will eventually come to rest due to the damping forces, unlike an undamped system which would continue to vibrate indefinitely. The amount of damping present in the system can greatly affect its behavior and stability.

4. What are the natural frequencies of a 2-DoF free damped vibration system?

The natural frequencies of a 2-DoF free damped vibration system are the frequencies at which the system will vibrate without any external forcing. These frequencies are determined by the mass, stiffness, and damping of the system and can be calculated using mathematical equations or by performing experimental tests. The natural frequencies can also be used to determine the system's response to external forces at different frequencies.

5. How is a 2-DoF free damped vibration system different from other types of vibration systems?

A 2-DoF free damped vibration system is unique in that it has two degrees of freedom, meaning that it can vibrate in two different directions. This makes the system more complex to analyze compared to a single degree of freedom system, but also allows for more diverse and interesting behavior. Additionally, the presence of damping forces in a 2-DoF free damped vibration system distinguishes it from undamped systems, where the motion would continue indefinitely without any energy dissipation.