Simple Harmonic Motion: Wrench's Moment of Inertia Calculation

• Thread starter Anthonyphy2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: You're confusing two things. If the radius of inertia (about some point) is k then the moment of inertia (about that point) is mk2. That's the definition of radius of inertia.For a uniform rod length 2l, the moment of inertia about its mass centre is ml2/3, so its radius of inertia is l/√3. About one end, the moment of inertia is 4ml2/3, so its radius of inertia is 2l/√3. In the present problem, we do not know and do not care whether the wrench is uniform, or whether the pivot point is at one extreme end (it surely isn't).
Anthonyphy2013

Homework Statement

The 20cm long wrench swings on its hook with a period of 0.90s. When the wrench hangs from a spring of spring constant 360 N/m , it stretches the spring 3.0 cm. What is the wrench 's moment of inertia about the hook ?

Homework Equations

torque =I alpha , Fsp =kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I put R to be (14+.03)

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

We need to find I and I = 1/2mg
Consider Fsp = mg when the wrench is at the lowest point .
-kx=mg and m=`kx/g but I dun know how to find the I as the pivot is not on the rotation and should I consider the wrench as a rod for the moment of inertia ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anthonyphy2013 said:
should I consider the wrench as a rod for the moment of inertia ?
If you could treat the wrench as a 20cm uniform rod pivoted at one end you wouldn't need the information about the period of swing. If its radius of inertia is k, what would its period be?

Likes 1 person
period = 2 pi * square root ( k/2g) ?

Anthonyphy2013 said:
period = 2 pi * square root ( k/2g) ?
Not quite. Why the factor 2 on the g? (I should have stated k as the radius of inertia about the pivot point, not the mass centre, but if you took it as about the mass centre the answer would be quite different.)
Anyway, once you have that equation correct, you can use it to deduce k, yes? What else do you need to find out in order to calculate the moment of inertia about the pivot point?

haruspex said:
Not quite. Why the factor 2 on the g? (I should have stated k as the radius of inertia about the pivot point, not the mass centre, but if you took it as about the mass centre the answer would be quite different.)
Anyway, once you have that equation correct, you can use it to deduce k, yes? What else do you need to find out in order to calculate the moment of inertia about the pivot point?

I put that wrong and that should be T=2 pi * square root( K/g) but how could the period can help to solve this problem ?

Anthonyphy2013 said:
I put that wrong and that should be T=2 pi * square root( K/g) but how could the period can help to solve this problem ?
From that equation, T tells you k. And the moment of inertia is mk2, right? So what's the other quantity that you need to determine?

I got the k , radius is 0.20 but I wonder why the moment of inertia is mk^2 and not 1/3mK^2+ mK^2 and I am not good at the concept of inertia . thanks so much

Anthonyphy2013 said:
I got the k , radius is 0.20 but I wonder why the moment of inertia is mk^2 and not 1/3mK^2+ mK^2

You're confusing two things. If the radius of inertia (about some point) is k then the moment of inertia (about that point) is mk2. That's the definition of radius of inertia.
For a uniform rod length 2l, the moment of inertia about its mass centre is ml2/3, so its radius of inertia is l/√3. About one end, the moment of inertia is 4ml2/3, so its radius of inertia is 2l/√3.
In the present problem, we do not know and do not care whether the wrench is uniform, or whether the pivot point is at one extreme end (it surely isn't).

you mean the I = Icm + Md^2 is used when the pivot is any point off the center mass except the end right ? Therefore , I had to use the rod of moment of inertia which is I= 1/3mL^2 and the length is found by the period = 2 pi square root of ( L/g) . IS that corrected ?

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force acting on the object is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. It is a motion that repeats itself in a regular cycle and can be described mathematically by a sinusoidal function.

2. What are the factors that affect Simple Harmonic Motion?

The factors that affect Simple Harmonic Motion are the mass of the object, the spring constant (or stiffness) of the spring, and the amplitude of the motion. These factors determine the frequency, period, and amplitude of the motion.

3. How is Simple Harmonic Motion different from other types of motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is different from other types of motion because it follows a specific pattern of back-and-forth oscillations around an equilibrium position. It also has a constant frequency and period, unlike other types of motion that may be irregular or have changing frequencies.

4. What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include the swinging of a pendulum, the motion of a mass attached to a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string. These motions follow a sinusoidal pattern and have a constant frequency and period.

5. How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to energy?

Simple Harmonic Motion is related to energy because as the object oscillates, it alternates between kinetic energy (when the speed is maximum) and potential energy (when the displacement is maximum). The total mechanical energy of the system remains constant, but it is constantly changing between kinetic and potential energy.