Simple Inner Product Proof (complex)

In summary, the given inner product is not an inner product because the result of \langle (u_1,u_2),(u_1,u_2)\rangle is not necessarily real.
binbagsss
I'm okay on proving the other properties, just struggling with what to do on this one:

(v,v)≥0, with equality iff v=0,where the inner product is defined as:

z1w*1+iz2w*2

(where * represent the complex conjugate)

My working so far is:
u1u*1+iu2u*2
=u1^2 + iu2^2

(I'm not sure what to do next and how to deal with the i algebriacally. I've done real ones and complex one without an i in the definition,and seem ok with this property for them).
Thanks alot, greatly appreaciated =].

Physics news on Phys.org
hi binbagsss! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
binbagsss said:
I'm okay on proving the other properties, just struggling with what to do on this one:

(v,v)≥0, with equality iff v=0,where the inner product is defined as:

z1w*1+iz2w*2

(where * represent the complex conjugate)

does (u,v) = (v,u)* ? :wink:

Your calculations are largely correct (you need modulus signs on u1 and u2 in your final expression).

Since [itex]\langle (u_1,u_2),(u_1,u_2)\rangle = |u_1|^2 +i|u_2|^2[/itex] is not necessarily real, the conclusion must be that [itex]\langle\cdot,\cdot\rangle[/itex] as defined is not an inner product.

Related to Simple Inner Product Proof (complex)

1. What is a simple inner product proof?

A simple inner product proof is a mathematical demonstration that shows how two vectors in a complex vector space can be multiplied together to produce a scalar value known as the inner product. This proof is often used in linear algebra and functional analysis to establish the properties of inner products.

2. How is a simple inner product proof different from a complex inner product proof?

A simple inner product proof deals with complex vector spaces, whereas a complex inner product proof deals with more general structures known as Hilbert spaces. While the basic concepts are similar, the techniques used in these proofs can differ significantly.

3. What are the key properties of inner products that are typically proven in a simple inner product proof?

In a simple inner product proof, the most common properties that are proven include symmetry, linearity in the first argument, and positive definiteness. These properties are essential for understanding the geometric and algebraic structure of inner products.

4. Are there any real-world applications of simple inner product proofs?

Yes, simple inner product proofs have many practical applications. For example, they are used in signal processing to analyze and interpret data, in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles, and in statistics to calculate correlation coefficients between variables.

5. How can I improve my understanding of simple inner product proofs?

To better understand simple inner product proofs, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in linear algebra, complex numbers, and vector spaces. Additionally, practicing solving problems and studying different types of proofs can help improve understanding and familiarity with the concepts.