Simple kirchhoff 2nd rule problem

• Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kirchhoff
In summary, you could say that potential change is -ve for both resistors when traversing from b to H, but it would be +ve when traversing from H to b.
PainterGuy
hi everyone,

please i need urgent help. in the attached image if R=1 ohm is traverse from b to H, why is potential change taken as -ive. the point H is close to +ive terminal of 5V power supply so it could also be a positive potential when traversing from b to H? please help me. hope you understand my question. in other words why is potential change taken as -(1A x 1Ohm) instead of +(1A x 1Ohm) when traversing from b to H - H being close to positive terminal of 5V power supply?

and same could be said when traversing from H to b, i think then potential change would taken as positive, why?

thanks. please help me quickly

Attachments

• kirchhoff rule.jpg
    kirchhoff rule.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 521
Physics news on Phys.org
hi painterguy! :smile:

(have an ohm: Ω and there's usually no "i" in "+ve" :wink:)

i don't really understand what you're trying to do :confused:

if you're applying KVL to the top loop, clockwise, then IR for both resistors will be +ve, though the V for one battery will be +ve, and one will be -ve

(and both batteries are "pushing" the same way, so one has to lose, doesn't it? :wink:)

hello tiny-tim,

big thanks for helping me out. i didn't know where to find ohm symbol so used the word "ohm" in its place. and next time wonl't include "i" in +ve. so much addicted to texting that finding it hard to put the habit away while using this cool forums.

it sounds you wanted to tell me potential change wud be -ve for both resistors. please let know me.

cheers

painterguy said:
hello tiny-tim,

big thanks for helping me out. i didn't know where to find ohm symbol so used the word "ohm" in its place. and next time wonl't include "i" in +ve. so much addicted to texting that finding it hard to put the habit away while using this cool forums.

it sounds you wanted to tell me potential change wud be -ve for both resistors. please let know me.

cheers

hello painterguy! :smile:

(on a mac, you can just type alt-z for Ω :wink:)

it depends whether you measure it from a to b or from b to a

the potential difference clockwise around the outside loop is 6 V across each resistor, equalling the 12 V emf

but the potential difference clockwise around the lower loop is 6 V across the lowest resistor, and minus 1 V across the middle resistor, equalling the 5 V emf :wink:

tiny-tim thanks for this help. i still struggling with these concepts. will come back if hit a stone again. much thanks.

1. What is Kirchhoff's 2nd rule in simple circuits?

Kirchhoff's 2nd rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL), states that in a closed loop circuit, the sum of all voltage drops must equal the sum of all voltage rises. This means that the total voltage around a closed loop must be zero.

2. How do you apply Kirchhoff's 2nd rule in a simple circuit?

To apply Kirchhoff's 2nd rule, you must first identify all the voltage sources and resistors in the circuit. Then, starting at any point in the circuit, choose a direction to travel and assign a polarity (+ or -) to each voltage source and resistor. As you move through the circuit, make note of the voltage drops and rises. Finally, set the sum of all voltage drops equal to the sum of all voltage rises to solve for the unknown values.

3. What is the significance of Kirchhoff's 2nd rule in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's 2nd rule is important in circuit analysis because it allows us to determine the unknown voltages in a closed loop circuit. It also helps us to verify the accuracy of our circuit calculations by ensuring that the total voltage around a closed loop is equal to zero.

4. Can Kirchhoff's 2nd rule be applied to more complex circuits?

Yes, Kirchhoff's 2nd rule can be applied to more complex circuits as long as the circuit is a closed loop. In more complex circuits, there may be more than one closed loop, in which case KVL must be applied to each loop separately.

5. Are there any limitations to Kirchhoff's 2nd rule?

Kirchhoff's 2nd rule assumes that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning that the voltages and currents are constant. It also assumes that there are no magnetic fields present in the circuit. Additionally, KVL does not take into account the effects of inductance and capacitance in the circuit. Therefore, it may not be applicable in certain circuits with these components.