Simple Laplace Transform Question (Differential Equations Class)

In summary, the Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations by transforming a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It allows for conversion of differential equations into algebraic equations and is useful for solving initial value and boundary value problems. To perform a Laplace Transform, the Laplace operator is applied through integration and substitution. The advantages of using Laplace Transforms include their efficiency, ability to handle various functions, and use of simpler algebraic methods. However, they have limitations such as only working for linear differential equations, using complex numbers, and sometimes requiring inverse Laplace Transforms for explicit solutions.
kingneptune11

Homework Statement

Laplace Transform teat

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6449/homeworkhelp.jpg

Not sure where I am going wrong. I feel like I did integration by parts incorrectly, because the anser I have boxed is not the correct answer. Please help me? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You missed the st in the exponent of the laplace's kernel

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve ordinary and partial differential equations. It transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency, making it easier to solve differential equations.

2. What is the purpose of using Laplace Transforms in differential equations?

Laplace Transforms allow for the conversion of a differential equation into an algebraic equation, which is often easier to solve. It also helps in finding solutions for initial value problems and boundary value problems.

3. How do you perform a Laplace Transform?

To perform a Laplace Transform, you need to apply the Laplace operator to the function or differential equation. This involves integration and substitution, following a specific set of rules and properties.

4. What are the advantages of using Laplace Transforms?

Laplace Transforms provide a powerful and efficient way to solve differential equations. They can handle a wide range of functions, including those that are non-differentiable or discontinuous. They also allow for the use of algebraic methods, which are often simpler and more straightforward.

5. What are the limitations of Laplace Transforms?

One limitation of Laplace Transforms is that they only work for linear differential equations. They also require the use of complex numbers, which can be challenging for some. Additionally, Laplace Transforms may not always yield an explicit solution, and it may be necessary to use inverse Laplace Transforms to convert the solution back to its original form.