Simple Linear Algebra Problem: Calvin and Wendy's Screw Purchase Dilemma

In summary, Calvin and Wendy both needed screws of three different sizes, with Calvin buying the same number of screws of each size at different prices, and Wendy dividing her money equally among the screws. Wendy ended up purchasing six more screws than Calvin. By setting up equations, it can be determined that Calvin spent 12x cents and Wendy spent k/3 cents, where x is the number of screws and k is the total price. However, an additional unused fact is that Wendy got 6 more screws than Calvin, which can be used to find the specific values for a, b, and c.
schmolch
Hi All!

I hope i posted this in the correct forum. Technically its not homework, just a problem from a puzzle-book which i enjoyed very much until i got to this problem.

Homework Statement

Calvin Carpenter needed screws of three different sizes. He bought the same number of screws of each size at $.03, $.04, and $.05 per screw respectively.
Wendy Woodall spent the same amount of money as Calvin, but divided her money equally among screws of the three sizes. In all, Wendy purchased six more screws than Calvin did. How much money did they each spend?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Calvin gets the same number of screws of each size:

3x+4x+5x=k (cents, x=number of screws, k=total price in cents)

Wendy gets screws for the same price each size:

3a+4b+5c=k
3a=4b=5c

I could mess around some more, but i just don't get it.
Im trying to understand this since more than a week and every day i feel dumber. If anyone could explain this to me i would be very gratefull.

thanks in advance,
schmolch

Physics news on Phys.org
i think its in your definition of how wendy spends, but were close

first for Calvin as you wrote
3x+4x+5x= 12x = k

now wendy spends her money evenly but divides it equally, as there are three types of screws, each one gets k/3 spent on it

so if she buy a,b,c of respectively

then
3a = 4b = 5c = k/3

so now knowing k, give a,b,c & x

however there is one unused fact, wendy got 6 more screws than Calvin...

Hi schmolch,

It seems like you are on the right track with setting up equations for Calvin and Wendy's purchases. However, the key to solving this problem lies in the fact that Wendy purchased six more screws than Calvin did. This means that her total number of screws purchased must be equal to Calvin's total number of screws plus six.

So, let's set up an equation for Wendy's total number of screws:

3a + 4b + 5c = x + 6

Where x is the total number of screws Calvin purchased.

Now, we can also set up an equation for the total amount of money spent by Wendy:

3a + 4b + 5c = k

Where k is the total amount of money spent by both Calvin and Wendy.

Since we know that Wendy spent the same amount of money as Calvin, we can set these two equations equal to each other:

x + 6 = k

Now, we can substitute x + 6 for k in our equation for Wendy's total number of screws:

3a + 4b + 5c = x + 6

3a + 4b + 5c = x + x + 6

3a + 4b + 5c = 2x + 6

Finally, we can substitute our original equation for Calvin's total number of screws (3x + 4x + 5x = k) into this equation:

3a + 4b + 5c = 2(3x+4x+5x) + 6

3a + 4b + 5c = 24x + 6

Now, we have two equations with three variables (a, b, and c) and we can solve for them using basic algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination. Once we have the values for a, b, and c, we can plug them back into our equation for k (total amount of money spent) to find the answer.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better! Don't worry, sometimes it takes time and practice to fully grasp mathematical concepts. Keep at it and don't get discouraged. Good luck!

Related to Simple Linear Algebra Problem: Calvin and Wendy's Screw Purchase Dilemma

1. What is a simple linear algebra problem?

A simple linear algebra problem is a mathematical problem that involves the manipulation and analysis of linear equations and their corresponding graphs. It typically consists of finding the solution to a system of linear equations, determining the slope or intercept of a line, or solving for a variable in a single linear equation.

2. What are the basic operations involved in solving a simple linear algebra problem?

The basic operations involved in solving a simple linear algebra problem include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of equations or variables. Additionally, graphing and substitution may also be used to solve these problems.

3. How is simple linear algebra used in real-world applications?

Simple linear algebra is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in business and economics to analyze supply and demand, in engineering to design and optimize structures, and in statistics to analyze and interpret data. It is also used in computer graphics and machine learning algorithms.

4. What are some common mistakes made when solving simple linear algebra problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving simple linear algebra problems include incorrectly setting up the equations, forgetting to distribute or combine like terms, and making calculation errors. It's also important to be aware of any special cases, such as vertical or horizontal lines, when graphing equations.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving simple linear algebra problems?

Practice is key in improving your skills in solving simple linear algebra problems. Make sure to understand the basic concepts and formulas, and then work on a variety of problems to apply them. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice exercises.