Understanding Bresar's Example 1.10 on Simple Matrix Rings: Can Anyone Help?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix Rings
In summary: The E_{il} generators of $M_n (D)$ are the elements in $I$, and any element in $I$ can be written uniquely as a product of E_{il} elements.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Finite Dimensional Division Algebras ... ...

I need help with some aspects of Bresar's Example 1.10 on a simple matrix ring over a division ring ...

Example 1.10, including some preamble, reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6238
In the above text from Bresar we read the following:

" ... and hence also \(\displaystyle (d a_{jk}^{-1} ) E_{ii} \cdot a_{jk} E_{il} = d E_{il}\) for every \(\displaystyle d \in D\). Consequently, \(\displaystyle I = M_n(D)\). ... ... "My questions are as follows:Question 1I am assuming that \(\displaystyle (d a_{jk}^{-1} ) E_{ii} \cdot a_{jk} E_{il} = d E_{il}\) because you can take the "scalars" out of the multiplication and multiply them as in

\(\displaystyle c_1 (a_{ij} ) \cdot c_2 (b_{ij} ) = c_1 c_2 (a_{ij} ) \cdot (b_{ij} )\)Is that correct?(Note: why we are messing with multiplications by scalars in a problem on rings, I don't know ... we seem to be treating the ring \(\displaystyle M_n (D)\) as an algebra over \(\displaystyle D\) ... )
Question 2

Bresar seems to be assuming that \(\displaystyle d E_{il}\) for all \(\displaystyle 1 \le i, l \le n\) and for every \(\displaystyle d \in D\) implies that \(\displaystyle I = M_n (D)\) ...

But ... ... why exactly is this true ...My thoughts ... maybe it is true because the \(\displaystyle E_{il}\) generate the ring \(\displaystyle M_n (D)\) ... or to put it another way ... any element in \(\displaystyle I\) or \(\displaystyle M_n (D)\) can be written uniquely in the form \(\displaystyle \sum_{i, j = 1}^n d_{ij} E_{ij} \) ... Help with these questions will be appreciated ...

Peter=====================================================So that readers of the above post can appreciate the relevant context of the post, I am providing the introduction to Section 1.3 Simple Rings ... as follows:View attachment 6239
View attachment 6240

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Question 1I am assuming that \(\displaystyle (d a_{jk}^{-1} ) E_{ii} \cdot a_{jk} E_{il} = d E_{il}\) because you can take the "scalars" out of the multiplication and multiply them as in

\(\displaystyle c_1 (a_{ij} ) \cdot c_2 (b_{ij} ) = c_1 c_2 (a_{ij} ) \cdot (b_{ij} )\)Is that correct?(Note: why we are messing with multiplications by scalars in a problem on rings, I don't know ... we seem to be treating the ring \(\displaystyle M_n (D)\) as an algebra over \(\displaystyle D\) ... )
Question 2

Bresar seems to be assuming that \(\displaystyle d E_{il}\) for all \(\displaystyle 1 \le i, l \le n\) and for every \(\displaystyle d \in D\) implies that \(\displaystyle I = M_n (D)\) ...

But ... ... why exactly is this true ...My thoughts ... maybe it is true because the \(\displaystyle E_{il}\) generate the ring \(\displaystyle M_n (D)\) ... or to put it another way ... any element in \(\displaystyle I\) or \(\displaystyle M_n (D)\) can be written uniquely in the form \(\displaystyle \sum_{i, j = 1}^n d_{ij} E_{ij} \) ...
You are correct on both counts.

Question 1: $D$ is a ring, but $M_n (D)$ is an algebra, whose ring of scalars is $D$. In a product like $(d a_{jk}^{-1} ) E_{ii} \cdot a_{jk} E_{il}$, you can push the scalars past the matrices to get $$(d a_{jk}^{-1} ) E_{ii} \cdot a_{jk} E_{il} = (d a_{jk}^{-1}a_{jk} ) E_{ii} \cdot E_{il} = dE_{il}.$$

Question 2: Yes, that is exactly the reasoning here.

1. What is a simple matrix ring?

A simple matrix ring is a ring that consists of square matrices over a field (such as real or complex numbers) with no proper two-sided ideals. This means that the only elements that commute with all other elements in the ring are the identity matrix and scalar multiples of it. In other words, there are no non-trivial subrings within a simple matrix ring.

2. How is a simple matrix ring different from a general matrix ring?

A simple matrix ring is a special type of matrix ring that has no proper two-sided ideals, while a general matrix ring may have non-trivial subrings and ideals. This means that a simple matrix ring is a more restricted and structured algebraic object compared to a general matrix ring.

3. What are some examples of simple matrix rings?

Some examples of simple matrix rings include the ring of n-by-n matrices over the real numbers (written as Mn(ℝ)), the ring of n-by-n matrices over the complex numbers (written as Mn(ℂ)), and the ring of n-by-n matrices over any finite field (written as Mn(𝔽)).

4. How are simple matrix rings used in mathematics?

Simple matrix rings are used in many areas of mathematics, including linear algebra, abstract algebra, and representation theory. They are also used in the study of group rings, which are rings constructed from group elements and coefficients in a commutative ring. Simple matrix rings are important in these contexts because of their structural properties and connections to other algebraic structures.

5. Can a simple matrix ring have non-square matrices?

No, a simple matrix ring must consist of square matrices. This is because a non-square matrix cannot have a multiplicative inverse, which is a necessary condition for an element to be part of a simple matrix ring. Additionally, the ring of non-square matrices over a field is not simple, as it has non-trivial two-sided ideals.