Are Δ- and Δ+ Antiparticles of Each Other?

• B
  • Thread starter Jorji Foote
  • Start date
In summary, the Δ+ and Δ- particles are not antiparticles of each other because they have different quark constituents. The Δ+ has uud and the Δ- has ddd. However, there are antiparticles of both the Δ+ and Δ- which have different quark constituents, such as (anti-up, anti-up, anti-down) and (anti-down, anti-down, anti-down) respectively.
Jorji Foote
So just recently learning about anti particles and I can't seem to find the answer to such a seemingly easy question but here goes. Let's say you have a negatively charged delta particle Δ-, is that the anti particle of Δ+ just how the e+ positron is the anti particle of an e- electron because in one of my textbooks it shows the Δ- with a line atop it indicating that it is an antiparticle is this like a case of a double negative equaling a positive? or am I needlessly getting confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a particle physics expert, but I can answer this one. If you look at the quark constituents of the delta baryons (for example, here on Wikipedia), you will see that the Δ+ is uud, and the Δ- is ddd. So they are not antiparticles of each other. There is an antiparticle of the Δ+ which is (anti-up, anti-up, anti-down) and an antiparticle of the Δ- which is (anti-down, anti-down, anti-down).

phyzguy said:
I'm not a particle physics expert, but I can answer this one. If you look at the quark constituents of the delta baryons (for example, here on Wikipedia), you will see that the Δ+ is uud, and the Δ- is ddd. So they are not antiparticles of each other. There is an antiparticle of the Δ+ which is (anti-up, anti-up, anti-down) and an antiparticle of the Δ- which is (anti-down, anti-down, anti-down).
Ahh ok thank you.

1. What are anti-particles?

Anti-particles are particles that have the same mass as their corresponding particles, but have opposite charges. For example, an anti-electron (also known as a positron) has the same mass as an electron, but has a positive charge instead of a negative charge.

2. How are anti-particles created?

Anti-particles can be created through high-energy collisions between particles, such as in particle accelerators. They can also be created naturally through certain radioactive decays.

3. What is the significance of anti-particles?

The existence of anti-particles is important in understanding the fundamental laws of physics, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. They also play a role in various phenomena, such as antimatter and particle-antiparticle annihilation.

4. Can anti-particles be used for practical applications?

Yes, anti-particles have been used in medical imaging and cancer treatment through a process called positron emission tomography (PET). They are also being studied for potential use in energy production and propulsion systems.

5. Are anti-particles the same as dark matter?

No, anti-particles and dark matter are two separate concepts. Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that does not interact with light and is thought to make up a large portion of the universe's mass. Anti-particles, on the other hand, are particles with opposite charges to their corresponding particles.