Simple questions regarding stress/force from aluminum bolt?

In summary, the forces involved in fastening aluminum extrusion with aluminum bolts include tension and shear forces, and the suitable bolt should have appropriate strength and compatibility with the materials used.
christyu
http://imgur.com/Wa8GR7H

Hey guys, I just would like to ask simple questions about forces/stress of aluminum bolt to be fastened for connecting aluminum extrusion as shown in diagram above.

1. As shown in the drawing, "A" shows the shear, so what force does B have then?

2. So how would you calculate the shear (A)? Do I just do
ultimate shear strength x 1/2 x cross-section (pi x radius of screw)?

3. So as I mentioned before, I'm using aluminum bolt to be fastened for connecting aluminum extrusion. How would I go about choosing the suitable aluminum bolt?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I would like to provide some insights on the forces and stresses involved in fastening aluminum extrusion with aluminum bolts.

1. In this diagram, B represents the tension force that the bolt experiences as it is being tightened. This force pulls the bolt in opposite directions, creating tension within the bolt.

2. To calculate the shear force (A), you would need to consider the cross-sectional area of the bolt, the ultimate shear strength of aluminum, and the applied load on the connection. The formula you mentioned is a good starting point, but it is important to also consider the specific properties of the aluminum materials being used and any potential external factors that may affect the shear force.

3. When choosing a suitable aluminum bolt for this application, it is important to consider the load and stress that the bolt will experience. The bolt should have a suitable shear and tensile strength to withstand the applied forces. It is also important to consider the compatibility of the aluminum materials to avoid any corrosion or galvanic reactions.

I hope this helps answer your questions. It is always important to carefully consider the forces and stresses involved in any engineering application to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the design.

1. How does the size of an aluminum bolt affect its strength?

The size of an aluminum bolt can affect its strength in several ways. A larger bolt will have a larger cross-sectional area, which can increase its strength. However, a larger bolt may also have more surface imperfections that can weaken it. It is important to consider the specific properties and manufacturing process of the bolt in question to determine the impact of size on strength.

2. What is the maximum stress an aluminum bolt can handle?

The maximum stress an aluminum bolt can handle depends on several factors, including its size, material composition, and the type of stress applied (e.g. tension, compression, shear). Generally, aluminum bolts are designed to handle stresses up to 40,000 psi, but it is important to consult specific manufacturer specifications for the bolt in question.

3. How does the type of force applied to an aluminum bolt affect its durability?

The type of force applied to an aluminum bolt can have a significant impact on its durability. For example, a bolt subjected to repeated tension and compression stress may experience fatigue failure more quickly than a bolt that experiences primarily shear stress. It is important to carefully consider the expected forces and stresses on a bolt when selecting the appropriate type and material for a specific application.

4. Can an aluminum bolt fail due to stress corrosion cracking?

Yes, aluminum bolts can fail due to stress corrosion cracking if they are exposed to corrosive environments. This type of failure is caused by a combination of stress and corrosion, and can occur even at relatively low stress levels. To prevent stress corrosion cracking, it is important to use bolts made from materials with good corrosion resistance and avoid exposure to corrosive environments.

5. How can I calculate the necessary bolt size to withstand a given force?

The necessary bolt size to withstand a given force can be calculated using the basic principles of mechanics and materials science. This involves determining the type of stress on the bolt, the material properties of the bolt and the materials it is fastening, and using equations such as the shear and tensile strength of the bolt to calculate the required bolt dimensions. It is recommended to consult a professional engineer for accurate and reliable calculations.