Simple Stirling: Proving Increasing Continuous Function on [1, inf)

• Thread starter Monochrome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stirling
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the inequality f(1)+f(2)...+f(n-1) =< \int_{0}^{n} f(x) dx =< f(2) +f(3)+...+f(n), which involves using the trapezium rule and potentially left and right Riemann sums. The speaker is unsure how to proceed due to the possibility of f''(x) being negative or positive.
Monochrome

Homework Statement

[tex]f(1)+f(2)...+f(n-1) =< \int_{0}^{n} f(x) dx =< f(2) +f(3)+...+f(n)[/tex]

is increasing and continuous on [1, inf)
I'm meat to prove the above, the idea I had was to use the trapezium rule to get an approximation of the integral, but since f''(x) can be either negative or positive I'm stuck as to how to do that. Also I'm in a first year course and I haven't yet learned about Bernoulli numbers or the like, which is what came up when I was looking around for this problem.

Edit: Would using left and right Riemann sums solve this? I can get the inequality but does increasing in this case mean non-decreasing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that the integral isn't from 1 to n?

I'd be inclined to start by trying to show that if [itex]f(x)[/itex] is increasing, then:
[tex]1 \times f(n) \leq \integral_{n}{n+1} f(n) \leq 1 \times f(n+1)[/tex]

The sums do correspond to left and right Riemann sums, but that's not going to be part of the proof unless you have a specific theorem about Riemann sums and increasing functions available.

Related to Simple Stirling: Proving Increasing Continuous Function on [1, inf)

1. What is a Simple Stirling engine?

A Simple Stirling engine is a type of heat engine that operates by cyclic compression and expansion of air or other gas at different temperature levels. It was invented by Robert Stirling in 1816 and is known for its high efficiency and low noise level.

2. How does a Simple Stirling engine work?

A Simple Stirling engine works by transferring heat from a hot source to a cold source, causing the air or gas inside to expand and contract. This expansion and contraction drives a piston, which in turn generates mechanical work.

3. What is the purpose of proving increasing continuous function on [1, inf)?

The purpose of proving increasing continuous function on [1, inf) is to show that the Simple Stirling engine is able to maintain a constant rate of work output as the temperature difference between the hot and cold sources increases. This is important in determining the efficiency and reliability of the engine.

4. How is the increasing continuous function on [1, inf) proved?

The increasing continuous function on [1, inf) is typically proved through mathematical analysis, using concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. By showing that the rate of work output increases as the temperature difference between the hot and cold sources increases, it can be established that the function is indeed increasing and continuous on the given interval.

5. What are the practical applications of Simple Stirling engines?

Simple Stirling engines have a variety of practical applications, including power generation, heating and cooling, and transportation. They are often used in remote locations or in situations where traditional power sources are not available or feasible. They are also being developed for use in renewable energy systems, such as solar power plants.