Evaluate limit of this integral using positive summability kernels

psie
Homework Statement
Let ##\varphi## be defined by ##\varphi(x)=\frac{15}{16}(x^2-1)^2## for ##|x|<1## and ##\varphi(x)=0## otherwise. Let ##f## be a function with a continuous derivative. Find the limit $$\lim_{n\to\infty}\int_{-1}^1n^2\varphi '(nx)f(x)dx.$$
Relevant Equations
Positive summability kernels, see e.g. Wikipedia.
Integrating the integral by parts, using that the antiderivative of ##\varphi'(nx)## is ##\frac1{n}\varphi(nx)##, I get
$$\big[n\varphi(xn)f(x)\big]_{-1}^1-\int_{-1}^1 n\varphi(nx)f'(x)dx=0-\int_{-1}^1 n\varphi(nx)f'(x)dx.$$ I used the fact that ##\varphi(n)## and ##\varphi(-n)## both equal ##0##, since ##n\geq 1##.

However, I'm stuck here. This is a problem from a section on positive summability kernels, but I have been unable to verify what the kernel is in this exercise, if there is any. Appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I solved it I think. ## n\varphi(nx)## is a positive summability kernel and the integral therefor evaluates to ##-f'(0)##.

Likes fresh_42
You could try checking by plugging in ##f(x)=x^r##.

Likes psie

1. How do you evaluate the limit of an integral using positive summability kernels?

To evaluate the limit of an integral using positive summability kernels, you first need to understand the concept of positive summability kernels. These are functions that satisfy certain properties and can be used to approximate integrals. By using these kernels, you can take the limit of the integral as the kernel approaches a certain value.

2. What are some common examples of positive summability kernels?

Common examples of positive summability kernels include the Fejér kernel, the Dirichlet kernel, and the Poisson kernel. These kernels have specific properties that make them useful for approximating integrals and evaluating limits.

3. What is the significance of using positive summability kernels in evaluating limits of integrals?

Positive summability kernels play a crucial role in evaluating limits of integrals because they provide a way to approximate complex functions with simpler functions. By using these kernels, you can break down the integral into smaller parts and analyze the behavior as the kernel approaches a certain value.

4. Are there any limitations to using positive summability kernels in evaluating limits of integrals?

While positive summability kernels are powerful tools for evaluating limits of integrals, there are limitations to their use. For example, certain kernels may not converge for all functions, and the choice of kernel can impact the accuracy of the approximation. It is important to carefully select the appropriate kernel for the integral in question.

5. Can you provide a step-by-step example of evaluating the limit of an integral using positive summability kernels?

Sure! To evaluate the limit of an integral using positive summability kernels, you would first select an appropriate kernel for the integral. Then, you would break down the integral into smaller parts and analyze the behavior as the kernel approaches a certain value. Finally, you would take the limit of the integral as the kernel approaches that value to obtain the desired result.