Simple thrust measurement stand

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for accurately measuring the thrust produced by a thrust producing engine without the use of traditional tools such as scales or load cells. The proposed method involves suspending the engine from four vertical wires and measuring the angle at which the wires rotate when the engine is started. The equation proposed for calculating the thrust is F = mg tan(theta), which is different from the original equation suggested. The need to account for the horizontal thrust and height difference in the calculation is also mentioned.
motthomas
I have a thrust producing engine and I would like to measure the thrust from it as accurately as possible without needing the use of scales, rollers, load cells, etc.

Anyway a friend of mine suggested I suspend the engine from four wires so that the wires are vertical when the engine is switched off. The idea would be that when the engine is started, it would push forward and cause the supporting wires to rotate through an angle which would be dependant on the thrust produced.

Would it be right to assume that if I measure the angle the wires are rotated through i could then calculate the thrust through the equation F=mg(L-LCos(theta)) where m would be the mass of the engine and L would be the length of the supporting wires? It seems pretty straightforward but I am not sure if I am missing something. Seeing as the engine is producing horizontal thrust and I am using the height difference to calculate thrust do I need to allow for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your concept is good, but according to my analysis your equation is wrong. I calculate that the result is F = m g tan(theta). Your equation is not even dimensionally correct, since mg is a force, so mgL is an energy.

Related to Simple thrust measurement stand

What is a simple thrust measurement stand?

A simple thrust measurement stand is a device used to measure the thrust generated by a propulsion system, such as a rocket engine or a jet engine. It typically consists of a base, a load cell, and a support structure for the engine.

How does a simple thrust measurement stand work?

A simple thrust measurement stand works by recording the force exerted by the engine on the load cell. This force is then converted into thrust using the formula F=ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the engine, and a is the acceleration.

What are the advantages of using a simple thrust measurement stand?

A simple thrust measurement stand allows for accurate and precise measurement of thrust, which is essential for the design and testing of propulsion systems. It also provides a safe and controlled environment for testing, reducing the risk of accidents.

Are there any limitations to using a simple thrust measurement stand?

One limitation of using a simple thrust measurement stand is that it can only measure thrust in a straight line. This means that it may not be suitable for measuring thrust in more complex or dynamic propulsion systems.

How is the data collected from a simple thrust measurement stand used?

The data collected from a simple thrust measurement stand is used to analyze the performance of the propulsion system and make any necessary adjustments or improvements. It can also be used for research purposes and to validate theoretical models.