Why does a stiff boat rudder produce forward thrust when pumped left to right?

In summary, the conversation discusses the technique of rudder pumping in small sailing boats to generate forward thrust when there is no wind. The question is raised about how the stiff rudder can produce this thrust when the pressure distribution around it seems to suggest the boat should stay in place. The answer is given that this is due to Newton's third law, where the backward force of the water pushing on the rudder results in a forward force on the boat. The conversation also considers the potential effects of a flexible rudder and the ideal angle for pumping the rudder to produce maximum thrust. The conclusion is that the boat moves forward because water is propelled backwards, but there may also be a pressure imbalance involved in achieving this movement.
Attemps to create a helicopter by watching a hummingbird were not very fruitful. I think the motion of rudder propulsion is more like that of a tuna than a duck but may be completely different from either because of the suppleness of the natural systems. I do sort of understand an Evinrude.

Likes jbriggs444
Physics news on Phys.org
hutchphd said:
I think the motion of rudder propulsion is more like that of a tuna than a duck
Yes. A stiff rudder cannot minimize its cross section like a duck's foot.

Nor can it flex longitudinally like a tuna.

Likes Jurgen M and hutchphd
Tuna is one of the stiffer swimmers.

1660577838895.png

Likes russ_watters and hutchphd
pbuk said:
Nor can it flex longitudinally like a tuna.
I disagree. The combination of boathull plus rudder does flex. I think a rudder by itself would work less well.

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913
DaveC426913 said:
Yes. A stiff rudder cannot minimize its cross section like a duck's foot.
But its effective cross section will depend on the speed relative to the water.
hutchphd said:
I disagree. The combination of boathull plus rudder does flex. I think a rudder by itself would work less well.
Yes. A rudder at the back of a large rectangular raft would behave differently.

DaveC426913 said:
A stiff rudder cannot minimize its cross section like a duck's foot.
For sure rudder can not do this but it would be better if can do it.
This is just one more confirmation that rudder produce drag during forward stroke.

To me it seems like the rudder and the hull make the crude motion of a swimming fish.

Likes russ_watters
Jurgen M said:
For sure rudder can not do this but it would be better if can do it.
This is just one more confirmation that rudder produce drag during forward stroke.
All things with mass produce drag. Generalizations are never, ever useful.

The issue is whether it produces more thrust than drag.

Likes russ_watters and sophiecentaur
DaveC426913 said:
The issue is whether it produces more thrust than drag.
How do you mean "whether it", so you think that rudder maybe produce net thrust in forward stroke?

How would you describe rudder during forward stroke, in terms of pressures and net force direction?

Jurgen M said:
How do you mean "whether it", so you doubt that rudder maybe produce net thrust in forward stroke?
He meant whether it produces more force than drag over the whole cycle. Please stop revisiting over and over again the idea that a flat surface moving forwards through the water can produce a net force in the forward direction, it cannot.

Likes DaveC426913
pbuk said:
Please stop revisiting over and over again the idea that a flat surface moving forwards through the water can produce a net force in the forward direction, it cannot.
This not my idea, this completely unlogic idea starts members from this forum.
For sure it can not produce thrust.

This thread has more than run its course. Thanks for your contributions everyone. Thread is closed.

Likes jbriggs444 and russ_watters